Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Fans lining the streets and mountains ruining the sport?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 07:11 PM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cycling fans are a strong bunch. They are energetic, they are passionate, and they are in the way. For years I find myself yelling at the TV "GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY". I have some issues I will list and I would love to hear your thoughts on them as well.

When climbing a mountain, why do they have to crowd in on the road and block any chance for an attack? They are blocking the road, the riders, the motorcycles, and the cars. Froome had to run up the side of a mountain because the masses were blocking the road causing a collision, disabling his bike. Nibali, a world class contender, taken out with a camera strap. Plus countless other crowd issued accidents.

Why must these crazies run next to the rider? They don't want you to run next to them. They don't want you to push them from their ass. They couldn't care less what you are yelling at them, possibly in a language they don't understand. More idiots are out there looking for their 10 seconds of fame instead of caring about the race. Especially the naked guys or the banana hammock wearing whackos. I noticed children doing this too. These parents need to teach these kids this is not right.

Selfie fools - I don't know how many times these narcissistic phone holding fools wind up in the way of the rider, only to improve their Facebook profile pic.
Also related - Camera kooks - Standing in the middle of the race to get a photo with your phone is ridiculous! They become an object in the way of the peloton.

These flags are getting out of hand. I don't know how many times these morons are draping their countries flags over the riders where they have to duck and ride through them. No one cares about your damn flag. There is no reason to shake it at the rider. You want to represent your country, display it in a respectful manner.

Spitting or shoving riders - There was some grey haired, overweight guy who took a shot at Froome twice this year, trying to push him over. Others were spitting on him, and Team Sky. This behaviour is unacceptable! You wouldn't do this to a person on the street. What makes it right when its these cyclists?

The barriers are there to keep the crowd from the cyclists. DON"T STAND ON THE OTHER SIDE OF IT!!!

This is the one thing about these races that gets my blood boiling. I get so angry and would love to be at the race just once and push one of these a-holes off the side of a mountain. The UCI and race organisers need to help solve some of these issues. What are your thoughts and additions?
Old 07-31-18, 07:26 PM
kydeadhead

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a fine line like Bob Roll pointed out, on one hand it's dangerous,but on the other it's a part of the sport. I agree with them banning flares and actually impeding the riders, but the Nibili incident (and Sagan in the Tour of Flanders) seem like they could be in the same category as crashing on the cobbles. The fans shouldn't get in the way,but they shouldn't be excluded. I don't think it's as easy as it would seem .
Old 07-31-18, 08:04 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That's a tough one.

Its easy for us sitting at home to say "look at these idiots", but it could be different when you've been sitting on the side of a mountain for hours or even overnight, waiting for that magic moment when the riders come by, and the excitement just sweeps you up. Big crowds all worked up, youthful exuberance, often fuelled by alcohol, is a toxic combination.

I guess its always been a self policed sport, and my guess it will remain so. I see no other alternative.
Old 07-31-18, 08:17 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
it's not ruining it but it's a negative. Flares are ridiculous and should be banned. If they (the crowd) are back even a little it would take care of it. No need to go overboard
Old 07-31-18, 08:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
At least they don't ambush the riders they don't like and beat them up like they used to do in the early days of the Tdf.
Old 08-01-18, 12:59 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
it's something for the riders to contend with and plan for when considering an mountain stage attack. if they've (or other teammates have) previewed the climb/stage
or ridden it before, they'll be aware of the pinch points. that's why it's so critical to have that (especially first hand) groundtruthing knowledge. can be the difference
between a stage win, gaining/losing time or crashing out. and no, i generally don't think it's ruining (except for the occasional yahoo that actually physically interferes)
the mountain stages. every sport has its idiosyncrasies that factor into a final result. whether it's soggy pitch, home field advantage, watered down basepaths, long grass,
unresponsive parquet, abusive fans, cramped/outdated visitors locker rooms, differing dimensions of the playing surface/field, playing offense into the wind in the 4th quarter...

Last edited by diphthong; 08-01-18 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 01:28 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
No I don't shout at the TV when the fans on mountains crowd the road. 99.99% of them know what they're doing and the riders are aware of this.
Most problems are caused by stupid people with smart phones but that's just a fact of modern life.
There's the very small number of people intent on assaulting riders, like the guy with Froome and the other person who reached out across the barrier to grab GT's arm. Lot of this is driven by social media and statements by people like Hinault who should know better.
The access fans have to the event is what makes the sport what it is, a community spectacle.
Old 08-01-18, 08:49 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
To me it is part of the excitement of the race. I believe I've heard many riders comment on the thrill of the fans' cheers drives them on. However, there have been a trend of some fans crossing the line from spectators to participants in the race. Some better policing would help. I've mentioned in another thread that the Vuelta seems to have less of this problem. Most "runners" get grab right away by the police and are removed.
Old 08-01-18, 10:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Some of the later stages (Pyrenees) the fans seemed a bit mellower .... they were out there, but fewer running along, few blocking the road, fewer screaming maniacs. I think it was the Giro where they had cops about every 20 yards or so on the worst climbs, physically moving people who blocked the way.

The situation can be improved without removing all the fans. A few arrests might even sober up the worst of them.
Old 08-01-18, 02:17 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

I don't get the bit about fans lining the streets in the thread title.

I mean what's wrong with people standing at the side of the street applauding and encouraging the riders?
Old 08-01-18, 03:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Some of the fans are fans. Some are performers eager to "express" themselves and get some attention. And the "express myself" crowd isn't generally too interested in anybody else .... including the riders who are the point and purpose of the whole thing.

The guys in fright wigs and purple thongs running beside the riders screaming----they can't conceive of a world where anyone matters more than they do .... plus they have probably been drinking for 18 hours.
Old 08-03-18, 07:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
A couple of friends went to the Tour during the Indurain days and they said without plause that the Tour is a raucous event. An unbelievable party that goes on and on and on. Not sure it would be as exciting without the crazy fans and the choke points on the climbs. Not my cup of tea as I rather watch on TV than in person except, perhaps the Champs on the final day. Apparently that, too is nutso. The wife of one guy said on the Champs you are pressed into the barrier so hard that it is impossible to move. They stood there in one spot without movement for 3 hours, and she had to pee the whole time!
Old 08-03-18, 07:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Old 08-06-18, 07:11 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I saw the TDF (twice in one day) years ago when they passed through Karlsruhe, Germany. Somehow we enjoyed it just fine without acting a fool and getting in the way. Drives me nuts to see the fans choking the roads and causing other issues.
Old 08-06-18, 07:29 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by jamesdak
I saw the TDF (twice in one day) years ago when they passed through Karlsruhe, Germany. Somehow we enjoyed it just fine without acting a fool and getting in the way. Drives me nuts to see the fans choking the roads and causing other issues.
Yeah, the Germans are too well behaved to invade anything, choke the roads of France or cause other issues.
Old 08-06-18, 07:45 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I don't think they should change a thing. Sometimes accidents happen. C'est la vie.

The tour has gotten sterile enough. What shall the do, have them ride around a big auto track? Keeps those fans as far away as possible.
Old 08-06-18, 08:17 AM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Some of the later stages (Pyrenees) the fans seemed a bit mellower .... they were out there, but fewer running along, few blocking the road, fewer screaming maniacs. I think it was the Giro where they had cops about every 20 yards or so on the worst climbs, physically moving people who blocked the way.

The situation can be improved without removing all the fans. A few arrests might even sober up the worst of them.
I thought this too about them being mellow. I was thinking they knew to be more careful after what happened to Nibali.

I see it as part of the sport. I read that there are undercover cops in the crowd dressed like fans as well as the visible ones you see along the course, so there is a big attempt to keep order.

They should ban flares without question.
Old 08-06-18, 11:45 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Yeah, the Germans are too well behaved to invade anything, choke the roads of France or cause other issues.
too soon...
Old 08-10-18, 10:24 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Group B insanity eh?
Old 08-19-18, 06:33 PM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. I couldn't log on with my iPad so I had to wait before I had access on my computer again.

Originally Posted by Iride01
At least they don't ambush the riders they don't like and beat them up like they used to do in the early days of the Tdf.
Iride - There was one older guy who ran out into the street and pushed Froome two days in a row. That's pretty ridiculous. I don't see how its acceptable in Cycling or in any sport to push, shove, or spit on the competitors. That's assault, not an overzealous fan.

I don't get the bit about fans lining the streets in the thread title.

I mean what's wrong with people standing at the side of the street applauding and encouraging the riders?
Cartaker - There is nothing wrong with people lining the streets in an orderly fashion cheering on the riders. That is what they should be doing. Perhaps I didn't put my full thought in the title. It was meant to point out the fans who overrun the streets and clog them up to where it becomes impossible for the riders to do anything but ride single file.
Old 08-20-18, 02:02 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by JT Burkard

Cartaker - There is nothing wrong with people lining the streets in an orderly fashion cheering on the riders. That is what they should be doing. Perhaps I didn't put my full thought in the title. It was meant to point out the fans who overrun the streets and clog them up to where it becomes impossible for the riders to do anything but ride single file.
Where has this happened, which city, town or village street?
Old 08-20-18, 02:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Electric Fence?
Old 08-20-18, 05:19 AM
Maelochs

Where has this happened, which city, town or village street?
I have seen lots of stages (on TV) where fans left only one bike's width open. Not rare or odd at all. Also I am sure we have All seen people running beside riders shouting at them ... and we have all seen the flares.

I don't think there is any reason to doubt what we have seen, right?
Old 08-20-18, 07:28 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have seen lots of stages (on TV) where fans left only one bike's width open. Not rare or odd at all. Also I am sure we have All seen people running beside riders shouting at them ... and we have all seen the flares.

I don't think there is any reason to doubt what we have seen, right?
On mountains yes but streets in urban areas? Street: 'a public road in a city, town, or village, typically with houses and buildings on one or both sides'

I've seen fans on streets particularly in Classic races like Liege-Bastogne-Liege running after riders or leaning into the road encouraging them but I don't remember flares or it getting to where it's single file only. These are pretty knowledgeable fans who know the limits.
Old 08-20-18, 10:21 AM
Cpinn3r

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Barrier won't do anything, they another part of the problem. For the most part this sport is a free public spectacle, there just no way to prevent or stop all outcomes w/o placing enforcement officer every 20m, which cost a lot of money. Unless organizer or teams form some type of volunteer enforcement group, but that will just cause a headache of it;s own

IMO the alternative is for cycling teams to adapt and somehow train cyclist on self defense while on their bikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.