Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a SUV bike for my family

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 11-10-18, 04:14 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

We are buying a cargo bike this Spring, it is decided, but we haven't decided which. We live in Canada, and there aren't many cargo bikes around here yet. So we have to buy based on online information, mostly.

We live in Canada. I am a year around commuter, and run most of my errands with a commuter bike, including groceries. My wife does have a car, but she also likes to ride bikes. We have a newborn at home, and I want a bike to be able to take him to daycare and other places starting next year. The cycling infrastructure here is ok, but not perfect. And drivers are mostly polite and safe, but there are some ********. So, we decided that we will feel much safer with a front-load cargo tricycle. It is more stable and conspicuous than other alternatives, and we can use a cover to protect our little one from the elements. We are in good shape and the town is pretty flat. So, we don't need pedal-assist, but we would get it if it was cheap.

Our two top candidates are:They are both carried by our local LBS. Other models we are considering are:Any input on the Nihola or Babboe is more than welcome. Other suggestions are welcome too, but they have to be things that we can buy in Ontario.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-18, 05:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
3 wheel Trikes eh? box and wheels turn together?
Old 11-10-18, 05:56 PM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
3 wheel Trikes eh? box and wheels turn together?
They do on the Babboe, Like and Taga. The Nihola has a system for the wheels to turn independently of the cargo box. Some online reviews say this is why it has better handling.
Old 11-11-18, 06:18 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
No experience with any of them. However I would go with one of the first two, mainly because of their reputation and the fact they have been in business for many years and have a good track record. Just an FYI, they are both well known in the Netherlands and while not as common as the the two wheeled cargo bikes are well respected. Also parts can be ordered direct from the Netherlands if needed. I have done it several times for hubs that I needed for my city bikes that were not sold in NA.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-12-18, 09:45 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
not many around here, but one i see fairly often if i'm in that part of town (highlands in louisville.ky) is a family with a madsen bucket bike.
Old 11-13-18, 11:55 PM
yves845

Bikes: Santos travelmaster2.8 ; Brompton titanium ; R&M Load speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I think the babboe is the best choice, for your situation. Nihola is probably heavier, but perhaps more repairable.
I had a friend in Denmark who was using one with 3 kids. seems undestructible.

As for electrification if you're mainly on flat roads it's not that useful. I use a Riese&muller "Load" and there's almost no need for pedal assist on flat.

And anyway prefer something your LBS knows...
Old 03-11-19, 08:35 PM
period3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by salcedo
We are buying a cargo bike this Spring, it is decided, but we haven't decided which. We live in Canada, and there aren't many cargo bikes around here yet. So we have to buy based on online information, mostly.

We live in Canada. I am a year around commuter, and run most of my errands with a commuter bike, including groceries. My wife does have a car, but she also likes to ride bikes. We have a newborn at home, and I want a bike to be able to take him to daycare and other places starting next year. The cycling infrastructure here is ok, but not perfect. And drivers are mostly polite and safe, but there are some ********. So, we decided that we will feel much safer with a front-load cargo tricycle. It is more stable and conspicuous than other alternatives, and we can use a cover to protect our little one from the elements. We are in good shape and the town is pretty flat. So, we don't need pedal-assist, but we would get it if it was cheap.

Our two top candidates are:They are both carried by our local LBS. Other models we are considering are:Any input on the Nihola or Babboe is more than welcome. Other suggestions are welcome too, but they have to be things that we can buy in Ontario.

Thanks!
I'm in Ontario and looking for a cargo trike, and those are the ones I'm considering as well. Did you buy one yet? I'm leaning towards the Nihola for its lighter weight and lexan box, but a few things bug me about it: it seems small for two kids, and I'm nervous about drum brakes. I'd have preferred just about any other kind of brake. If you did buy one, I'm curious which you ended up choosing and why...
Old 05-02-19, 06:09 AM
salcedo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by period3
I'm in Ontario and looking for a cargo trike, and those are the ones I'm considering as well. Did you buy one yet? I'm leaning towards the Nihola for its lighter weight and lexan box, but a few things bug me about it: it seems small for two kids, and I'm nervous about drum brakes. I'd have preferred just about any other kind of brake. If you did buy one, I'm curious which you ended up choosing and why...
Hi,

We decided to get the Nihola.

Out LBS guy told us that Wike bikes are very low quality. I don't know if I believe him, but I like the guy and want to buy from him. He does a lot of advocacy for cycling in our town.

The Taga has a sale going on. But they seem fishy. The company disappeared for a while and someone else bought the rights to the bike and the existing inventory. They confirmed this via messenger when I asked them. I worry that they plan to sell the existing inventory and then shut down the operation. Also, you can find a lot of advertisement online but not a lot of reviews from actual owners. I asked a couple of people on Instagram and they said that the bike is ok but not great.

The ELF is too expensive.

The Babboe is bigger and heavier than we need.

Where we live it is very flat and so i don't worry about brakes that much.
Old 05-04-19, 09:56 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Hope you'll like it!

We have a Circe Morpheus which eventually we'll set up with the front seat converted to the uses needed. It easily turns into a baby/child/stuff carrier and back to that wonderful semi-recumbent tandem configuration. But it's not a trike so doesn't suit your needs - just wanted to say you're not alone with this in this province ;-)