Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dream Tool Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 10:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Dream Tool Box

I have been thinking about this a lot as I have been buying tools here and there and wanting to build out a nice new Park Tool box with the wheels. So as a fun end of year gifts and stuff type of thread I thought why not. We have so many threads on dream bikes and such I thought why not a dream tools. So let's say what are your top 6 tools that would be in your dream box (a set of allen keys counts as one for instance).

Here is my list:

1. PB Swiss Allen Keys

2. Topeak D-Torq Wrench DX

I was also thinking about the Effetto Mariposa Giustaforza Torque Wrench having actually held one in my hand (the anniversary edition which is really nice) but the digital aspect on the Topeak combined with my love of Topeak makes me go for their's first.

3.Abbey Tools Decade Chain Tool
Would want and need the 1/8 chain part when it comes out

4. Felco C7 Cable Cutter
Though I do like the awl on the back of my Jagwire cutter but our master tech has the same pair of Felco's from 20+ years ago and if that isn't a ringing endorsement since he uses them a lot, I don't know what is.

5. Park Tool DSD-2 Derailleur Screwdriver
Not sure if anyone does anything better than this one as far as derailleur/JIS screwdrivers if there was I want to see it.
6. EAI Pro Keirin Tool

These are some of my dream tools and certainly ones I would use a lot hence why I chose them. I wish there was a Ti Abbey Tools Crombie just because it is ridiculous and I kind of want to build a nice chain whip with a YBN Titanium chain and a ergonomic titanium bar but those don't quite exist yet. I also neglected the DT Swiss Digital Tensio 2 because I don't build wheels and even dreaming I couldn't justify that over others tools.
Old 12-22-18, 06:23 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I've been collecting tools (and doing mechanic work) for >50 years...but I'd like a heavier work bench, a drill press and a table saw.
Old 12-22-18, 05:35 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I have all the tools I need and even have a Park BX-2 Tool Box but like the OP I want the new Park Tool Box BX-3 on wheels. I just need more volume to carry all my tools.
Old 12-22-18, 05:42 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
What a great thread! Quick question for the noobie. What's a EAI Pro Keirin Tool? What's it used for?
Old 12-22-18, 05:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
What a great thread! Quick question for the noobie. What's a EAI Pro Keirin Tool? What's it used for?
Thanks!

It is for fixed gear cog and lockrings and removing wheels and also chain tensioners on track bikes. Basically it is a perfect tool for a Keirin rider but also great for general fixed gear use. It is a super high quality do it all type of tool.
Old 12-22-18, 05:52 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Old 12-22-18, 07:27 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Mine already has tehm, a nice torque wrench and derailleur hanger adjuster are about the only thing I still want!
Old 12-23-18, 12:55 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I like the set-up I had at my last place. 41inch wide top & bottom toolbox in stainless steel inside my closet.
Snap-on tools for common hand tools(including click type torque wrenches); Park & Pedro's for bike specific stuff:

SCREWDRIVERS by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

......Not sure if anyone does anything better than this one as far as derailleur/JIS screwdrivers if there was I want to see it.....
I'm happy with my Vessel JIS driver; also comes w/ flat and pozidrive bits. Bought this before Park came out w/ their version:

Had to give up my toolbox and a lot of my Snap-on tools with my last move. Smaller place in New York City.
Current set-up is the top cabinet of a Husky box; 4 drawers & only 26 inches wide. Really miss the feel/ergos of
my old tools. Starting to slowly accumulate Snap-on stuff again.

Certifications by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 12-23-18, 09:25 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The broken vice thread has me scanning ebay for an upgrade to the one

at my bike bench- not bad but exposed screw & worn, sloppy action.

Also still waiting for the <$100 park truing stand that is short drive, or ride, away.
Old 12-23-18, 09:30 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 411 Posts
My dream tool kit was the one found in the last pages of the Snap On catalog. In those days (in the 80's) the top-of-the line kit in a large rollaway box was around $20k. I imagine it would cost a bit more now.

But a bicycle doesn't that many tools. I got a cheap "Bike Hand" tool kit from a bike shop here in Tokyo. It does everything I need for home repairs, including removing cassettes, bottom brackets, and such, and cost only $50. I don't have a truing stand or a bearing press, but even when I did, I seldom used them.
Old 12-23-18, 09:34 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No Dishing tool?
No wheel truing stand?
No spoke tension meter"

What kind of a slacker thread is this?
Old 12-24-18, 11:14 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
"No Dishing tool?
No wheel truing stand?
No spoke tension meter"

A well adjusted, cared for Park truing stand does away with dishing tool, and well tuned piano does away with a tension meter.
Old 12-24-18, 12:31 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"No Dishing tool?
No wheel truing stand?
No spoke tension meter"

A well adjusted, cared for Park truing stand does away with dishing tool, and well tuned piano does away with a tension meter.

Of course you can but Park Tool site says the MOST ACCURATE way to dish a wheel is with the dishing tool. There have been many debates about it but I prefer to build my wheels with the proper tools.
Old 12-24-18, 01:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Wera Hex-plus hex keys are no doubt just as good as the PB Swiss keys and you can usually get them for about half the price of the PB Swiss hex keys. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DIDV9018&psc=1

If we are going for dream tools, I would like the Mariposa torque wrench. But I would be afraid to use it. Wera sells a similar small torque wrench for a little less, but it doesn't seem to come with bits like the Mariposa.
Old 12-24-18, 04:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just need *a* toolbox and work surface.

Years ago I had all the bike, motorcycle and general purpose tools I needed, including light carpentry tools for building sets for local theater productions. But after my neck and back were broken in a 2001 wreck I figured I'd never do any of those stuff again so I sold and gave away everything.

I violated two laws of nature: (1) Never get rid of perfectly good tools; (2) never say never. In fact, never say never say never, just to be safe and negate all the nevers.

When I resumed cycling in 2015 it was immediately apparent I'd need tools again. I like my LBS folks but it just isn't cost effective to have a good pro tech do relatively simple stuff.

So now I have a bunch of tools scattered across a spare table, in Amazon cardboard boxes under the table, and lower priority stuff in plastic bins in the closet. Wotta mess. Drivetrain tools in one cardboard box, wheel tools in another, etc. Bleah.

I don't necessarily miss my old tool kit, other than the Craftsman wrenches and maybe a few specialty tools for French bikes. But I miss that toolbox. It was just battleship gray plastic but really tough, enough to stand on. Just enough compartments and dividers to organize a few tools for a specific day's projects.

I bought a pretty decent starter tool kit a couplafew years ago, Venzo brand but basically identical to one of Nashbar's mid-level tool set. It came with a tool box but it's useless. Once all the tools were pulled out there's no sensible way to put them back in quickly. Everything is supposed to snap into a specific location but it's not visually intuitive. That's the problem with too much compartmentalization. It's really more of a shipping container to protect the tools in transit, not really a useful working tool box.
Old 12-24-18, 07:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
when I ask my lbs to do work for me, they just say no, I have to do it myself. It's totally unfair. Well, they put the headset in a frame I bought from them, that was nice.