Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for 1" carbon CX Fork

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 11:30 AM
spRICE

Bikes: Caad12 || BMC SL01 || Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a '98 steel cross frame and now I need a 1" fork. I'll probably end up with a steel fork but I was wondering if anybody had some leads on a decent carbon fork with 1" steerer and cantilever brakes. eBay isn't really coming up with anything. I know they were made but were pretty rare even back in the day.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-19, 12:47 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Nashbar used to have one. Had canti posts and disc brake mounts. Aluminum steerer. They sold it as a comfort upgrade. It weighed like 750. Considering my thick steel (voodoo) fork is 900 and much better built, I never could justify it.

It might be your only option in carbon. Gotta ask yourself if you need it though.
Old 03-05-19, 01:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Threadles...frcectupt=true
Old 03-05-19, 02:51 PM
spRICE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Nashbar used to have one. Had canti posts and disc brake mounts. Aluminum steerer. They sold it as a comfort upgrade. It weighed like 750. Considering my thick steel (voodoo) fork is 900 and much better built, I never could justify it.

It might be your only option in carbon. Gotta ask yourself if you need it though.
I didn't know that Nashbar made a 1" CX fork. I gotta say it doesn't sound appealing. It's heavy and probably feels pretty dead. I have a carbon Nashbar road frame that I'm not a huge fan of.
This looks like the Nashbar fork that rosefarts mentioned. If it only buys me 150g over a steel fork it's probably not worth it. If I can't find anything else I'll go with steel.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-19, 03:16 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Wound Up makes a carbon fork with a steel 1" steer tube, threaded or threadless, with canti mounts. I ordered one through them several years ago for an old ti cx bike. Great fork, but not cheap. Also, the looks seem to divide people -- it's got straight tube legs -- which I thought looked great once the bike was all built up. They're still offering it, and just about any other fork configuration you could want.

Last edited by ljsense; 03-05-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 02:50 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You do not just want any fork with a 1 in steer tube, you want one rated for gravel and Cross... Or you may need a good restorative dentist!
Old 03-07-19, 06:14 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider
You do not just want any fork with a 1 in steer tube, you want one rated for gravel and Cross... Or you may need a good restorative dentist!
What exactly is a gravel rated fork?
Old 03-07-19, 02:39 PM
spRICE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
Wound Up makes a carbon fork with a steel 1" steer tube, threaded or threadless, with canti mounts. I ordered one through them several years ago for an old ti cx bike. Great fork, but not cheap. Also, the looks seem to divide people -- it's got straight tube legs -- which I thought looked great once the bike was all built up. They're still offering it, and just about any other fork configuration you could want.
Yeah Wound Up is definitely a long term option. Not looking to spend that much right now but I'll consider it in the future.
Originally Posted by gravelslider
I mean I wasn't planning on putting a road or hybrid fork on my CX bike. Pretty sure any fork with canti studs was designed for Cross, Gravel, or Touring. A touring fork would arguably need to be even stronger than a cross fork. There are a lot more forces involved hitting a pothole with a 80lb loaded bike than hitting mud in your local CX race.
Old 03-07-19, 03:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

More expensive than you are willing to pay?

Wound up are a US maker, say you want it rugged and they'll pick the blade tubes accordingly..
Old 03-07-19, 04:58 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
More expensive than you are willing to pay?
That’s a statement with a question mark. Are you asking me what I’m willing to pay or telling me it’s more than I will pay?
Old 03-07-19, 07:54 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

There is no technical or industry standard for any fork that I am aware of, but for liability purposes any reputable manufacturer publishes intended use for their produce so they do not get sued (as easily) when someone takes a fork off of a tri bike and uses it to ride BMX or some crazy thing like that. The intended use is set by the maker and provider reasonable usage limits. Just check what the maker recommends for intended use before purchasing... A gravel or cross fork needs to be able to handle intermittent hard hits, disc brake loads, and fatigue cycling limits that are in line with intended use...
Old 03-10-19, 02:19 PM
DCycle

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I searched for one of these a couple years ago for my Litespeed Appalachian, and ended up buying a Bellagio Stella Azzura, seems to work pretty well:

https://www.euroasiaimports.com/prod...ork-p15897.htm
Old 03-16-19, 06:30 AM
Skil

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The nashbar fork isnt bad, although a little heavy for carbon. I used it for a season on a vintage build (old miyata) and it worked great for tame gravel rides and commuting.