Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding out of the saddle is illegal here.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Riding out of the saddle is illegal here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 01:19 PM
SCROUDS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida Statutes 316.2065(2):
A person operating a bicycle may not ride other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto.

Good thing we don't have hills! I recommend that anybody in a state or muni that has a law like this lobby their government to remove all hills. Problem solved.
Old 09-30-10, 01:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I think some here may be taking Seattle’s original post a little too seriously. (EDIT: even him in his latest posts!) This is quite surprising for A&S, I know.

More jokes like this please...
Yeah ... ultimately I'm only trying to make two points.

(1) Reading the law is like the boring version of a treasure hunt - you never know what shocking nuggets you'll find in there.
(2) Most humans are able to get by on common sense, even when using it means they're not 100 % squeaky clean.

The other day someone started a thread about a cyclist who was hit by a motor vehicle, with the title "This is what happens when you run red lights." I think it's a little silly to assume that anybody who ever violates any law is a suicidal, evil, uncommonly stupid person. And I think we ought to remember this in particular when we talk about things like Idaho stops, where a cyclist could break a minor law and go through an empty intersection; it's tenuous to demand that law always be enforced, but this one always be ignored by police.
Old 09-30-10, 01:23 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
regrade advocacy.

the intent of these statutes is clear, but not to someone who cannot see the forest thru the trees!
Old 09-30-10, 01:24 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I see two legs in front of the saddle, and no legs on either side:
Maybe you need to adjust your perspective.
Old 09-30-10, 01:30 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
somebody always gripes for more enforcement of traffic laws against cyclists. .
Somebody? Asking for enforcement as part of VC advocacy?
Old 09-30-10, 01:33 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
B. No person propelling a bicycle may carry another person, unless the bicycle is equipped with a seat or a trailer for the passenger.
When living in China it was very common for a passenger to ride on the rear rack. No, they are not some "super duty" racks, they are what we would call book racks. The, steel, Wald rack on my bike here is significantly sturdier than the racks I carried passengers on. The passengers always rode sidesaddle.

I have also carried passengers, side saddle, here in the states (cars give a lot of room while doing that). It is interesting how different the laws are in places where bicycles are viewed as transportation, not toys.
Old 09-30-10, 01:43 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I like to play it safe. I always carry a copy of the “astride the saddle” law along with a definition of the words, just in case a police officer calls me out on it. Don’t laugh, it came in handy once already during scofflaw cyclist crackdown day!
Old 10-01-10, 04:01 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah ... ultimately I'm only trying to make two points.

(1) Reading the law is like the boring version of a treasure hunt - you never know what shocking nuggets you'll find in there.
(2) Most humans are able to get by on common sense, even when using it means they're not 100 % squeaky clean.
I think it's also a great example of how it's a bad idea sometimes to get hung up on the letter of the law, as opposed to the spirit of it. For example, as I'm sure you know (I take it your post was mostly tongue-in-cheek), no officer would ever cite for this, even if it is citable. It goes against what the law is intended, and a court would likely uphold this in the unlikely event it would go that far.

Similar to the legal arguments regarding running a red in the T-intersection thread. You can translate the letter of the law to say it's legal, but I find it very unlikely a judge would agree, regardless of safety issues.
Old 10-01-10, 05:24 AM
SBRDude
Godfather of Soul

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex, 2010 Specialized Tricross Expert,2008 Gary Fischer Hi Fi Carbon, 2002 Specialized S-Works hard tail, 1990 Kestrel KM 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't understand. A person standing on the pedals is still astride the saddle. You say as much in your description of astride meaning on either side of. They're not sitting but they're astride.

I assume that this law is meant to stop people riding sidesaddle or doing other such tricks on the roads.
Makes sense to me. I'm sure others see it as The Man sticking to cyclists.
Old 10-01-10, 07:24 AM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The law is desgined to stop people from riding on the handle bars or the rear pegs. Usually kids.
Old 10-01-10, 07:47 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True. What the law is aiming at is one saddle, one rider. No matter how cute or convenient, it's illegal to ride your sweetie on your handlebars, on the cargo rack, or on the pegs of your BMX bike.

One issue that is caught here is for BMX racers, or trials riders. Since most BMX races are a stand-on-the-pedals sprint all the way around the course, many racers will leave the saddle off the bike. Likewise, most bikes customized for observed trials don't have a saddle, or even a seatpost. They're okay on the track or event course, but wouldn't be street-legal.
Old 10-01-10, 08:04 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I recall that as well.
yup
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-01-10, 08:05 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can guess at what was intended, but, as written, the law certainly appears to ban climbing out of the saddle - at least when proper technique is used. Isn't the point of laws that people shouldn't just interpret what was probably meant, though?
So how many people have been actually cited for this offense in the last decade or so?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-01-10, 04:15 PM
cyclodan

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe the OP was just trying to point out that people who make laws are sometimes oblivious to the realities of the activities governed by those regulations. This example is from the Michigan Vehicle Code. It clearly states one must be on AND astride the saddle...

257.658 Riding on seat of bicycle, motorcycle, or moped; number of persons; crash helmets; rules; requirements for autocycle.(1) A person propelling a bicycle or operating a motorcycle or moped shall not ride other than upon and astride a permanent and regular seat attached to that vehicle.

I can't find it now but I believe I have seen a section that states a bike rider must have BOTH HANDS on the bars at all times except when signalling a turn. That would in effect outlaw drinking from a water bottle while riding or even outlaw changing gears on a bike equipped with downtube or stem mounted shifters. Wait til the guys over in the Classic and Vintage forum hear about that!