Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gotta Grand to Spend

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gotta Grand to Spend

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 05:35 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Gotta Grand to Spend

While there is no such thing as 'extra money' (just like on college campuses there is no such thing as 'extra pizza'), I find that (if I choose) I could spend another (around) $1K on my bike. Background

1) I own a nice EL-OS (circa 1996) steel Bianchi upgraded with 2014 Chorus groupset and decent Bontrager RXL (Race X Lite) wheels (clinchers). Frame, fork, handlebars are all original. FWIW, it weighs a few grams under 18 pounds (as set up sans pedals, cages, gauges, etc). I am a committed N=1 guy, and have no interest in more bikes, or even a new bike. Save more than a pound - OK, I'll listen but it has to stay 'my current bike'. And the only riding that this bike has seen is a couple years in the 1990's in California and the past year here in NC. Lots of attic time :-)

2) I am really a soon to be 66 year old runner with knees that tolerate cycling just fine - can't say that about running any more. FWIW, am riding 170 to 200 miles per week right now (might peak a bit higher if I get serious about targeting some event). I tend to 'ride like I used to run' which means solo.

3) My 'best ride' recently was a 2 hour (no stops) solo ride over rolling terrain at 19.4 mph (my ftp is around 235 to 240W). That was a hard, but not absolute as hard as I could do (you don't get a whole lot more speed for another 15% pain). The terrain was rolling with no climbs longer than maybe 90 seconds, but a total of 2000 feet of climbing (up-down-up-down...). I currently have a Garmin Vector S (single sided) pedal set for power measurements talking to a Garmin 800 Edge.

4) I do plan on getting somewhat more serious doing more group rides (just started doing that) and depending on how that goes maybe see if I can hang with the local A group (fitness iffy - bike handling MUST be improved for sure).

So the question is what do I do with the $1K. The choices as I see them

1) Save it until I know what I want (sensible is so little fun)

2) Add a Vector upgrade for 2 sided measurements. This is mostly just curiosity regarding the 'one sidedness' of my data. Once I know that it isn't at all clear that it will be that important. But maybe I am 45-55 uphill and 55-45 on the flats, which really would make comparing the effort of very differing rides iffy with my system.

3) Hire a good online coach until I run out of money

4) You can always get better/different wheels - maybe something more aero ?? I suppose I could try tubular, but with latex tubes this thing rides/rolls quite nicely. I do have a spare set of wheels (the Mavic's that I got with the bike in 1996) outfitted with Gatorskins that I ride when doing commuting around town.

5) I could go with an EPS electronic groupset. Low on my list as it is both cost inefficient (already have a fine and almost new groupset) and not much of a personal priority for me.

6) In principle there is weight to be saved in the handle bars and fork, but compatibility with my existing headset is really limiting here. I'm not desperate regarding the weight of this bike.

Thoughts?

dave
Old 05-30-15, 05:45 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Save the money for a new carbon bike. If you're an n=1 guy, sell your current bike when you buy a new one.
Old 05-30-15, 05:56 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wheels. If you're comfortable on this bike save a bit more for wheels. That's where your best bang for buck will be. You got a nice gruppo, on a nice ride....you could score some excellent wheels for the tune of say $1500
Old 05-30-15, 06:03 PM
catonec 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hows your "everything bicycle related equipment other than the actual bike" collection?

Maybe not a grand worth of purchases but a few pairs of high quality bibs, a nice new shop or frame pump, workstand, helmet, gloves, lighting.....

having a stockpile of tubes, cables, an extra chain, lube, on hand is nice.

Do you transport your bike ever?? maybe a car rack. How about a quality lock, 2 actually..

Just some ideas.
Old 05-30-15, 06:16 PM
jeff@work

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) How boring... but probably the best choice.

2) Would probably be interesting to know... but what would you do with the info? Try to train your weaker leg more? I think this is more along the lines of interesting but not really useful info.

3) Could be beneficial... Assuming you were good at following the plans and you found a good coach to start with.

4) No reason to go tubular... good clinchers with latex tubes are a great setup. Aero wheels would likely make a difference but not a startlingly noticeable difference. They do look cool though!

5) You don't even seem enthusiastic about that so why bother.

6) Losing a few grams is over rated. If you were going to go that route you might as well look into upgrading the whole frameset.

As much as i love buying bike stuff in this instance I vote for #1

Just my $0.02... no refunds.
Old 05-30-15, 06:30 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Coaching, fitness counseling, altitude training, metabolic testing perhaps.

SERVICES - MAY STREET BICYCLE SHOP
Old 05-31-15, 06:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Supported week-long bike tour.
Old 05-31-15, 08:27 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like you just want to flush a grand down the terlit.

What will adding a grand worth of anything do for an already-good bike?

If it's really burning a hole in your pocket, then I vote "coaching"- but it sounds like you really don't need it.

Save the money for when something comes along that you "just have to have". Otherwise, you're basically wasting $1000.
Old 06-01-15, 09:09 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Some interesting ideas - including the fact that a LBS in my area (that I thought was closed) still exists.

Anyway, stuff to think about. And the one thing that I really want is a (one or two times only is fine) sample of the sidedness of my pedaling. I don't really care and don't feel motivated to 'fix it' (within reason). But the absolute power that I am putting out can vary a huge amount with 'normal' imbalances between sides (since I am currently using one-sided measurements). I don't see the importance of having the data permanently - I just want to know if 250W on my meter is 225W, 275W or what (no pun intended). So I might spend some money on that via some renting path, buy/sell ebay option, etc.

Thanks again.

dave
Old 06-01-15, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Best suggestion so far.
Old 06-01-15, 10:39 AM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
My wife and I are thinking of doing this when are kids are off to college. Almost exactly a grand (well, there's also the costs of getting there).

2015 Cycle Oregon Week Ride
Old 06-01-15, 10:51 AM
eyewannabike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't spend $1000 on handlebars to drop a slight bit of weight. Go buy a nice, used carbon bike. It will be a LOT lighter and as someone with more than a few miles under your belt, it's a lot more comfortable on the joints. I just sold a nice Specialized carbon bike with a nice groupset for about that price and it was in excellent shape.

The alternative, though far below that, for me would be the electronic shifters. They're damn amazing. Just hold a button and it will move quickly through all of the gears. It's just perfect.
Old 06-01-15, 11:09 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I think of this I get giddy inside.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Best suggestion so far.
Agreed.
Old 06-01-15, 11:10 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
If I was going to do anything on your list and I really wanted to improve my performance, I would hire the coach.
Old 06-01-15, 11:27 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You do not really need anything, but if I tell the truth, I rarely buy anything because I need it, I buy because I want it... so what is it that you want?
Old 06-01-15, 11:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by jfh
My wife and I are thinking of doing this when are kids are off to college. Almost exactly a grand (well, there's also the costs of getting there).

2015 Cycle Oregon Week Ride
I have done four COs. Don't do it unless you can put up with the inconveniences that come with a crowd of 2,000+ people. That aside, it's usually well organized with great riding. The mechanical support is top notch, and there is a professional sound stage with entertainment every night. And, of course, the infamous beer (and wine) garden.

Consider one of the anniversary editions. I did the 15th (2002), 20th (2007) and 25th (2012) (along with one more in 2005). For the 15th, we crossed the entire state east to west in 6 days of riding, which included McKenzie Pass. The 20th featured McKenzie Pass, Crater Lake, Cottage Grove (where the parade scene from "Animal House" was filmed) and the Aufderhide Highway. The 25th took us through the "Oregon Outback" and to Crater Lake Again. The first day that year started in a small town and finished in an even smaller town. In between there were literally no other towns. If you do look to register for an anniversary year, be prepared to register immediately. In 2012 the ride sold out in less than 30 min. Registration started at midnight eastern standard time so we had to stay up late to make sure we got in. The tent and porter service also fills in the blink of an eye even if the ride doesn't. The nice thing is that they have a pretty liberal cancellation/refund policy. That's because they know they can fill sports that open up due to relatively early cancellations.
Old 06-01-15, 11:37 AM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
disc brakes