Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese Carbon Road Bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinese Carbon Road Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 04:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Internet stranger : "This is the same exact product that the name brand sells but for a fraction of the price"
Internet buyer: "No way...prove it!"
Internet stranger: "I'll show you pics, because no pics no happen"
Internet buyer: "Wow, that looks legit!"
Internet stranger: "Look at our reviews by total internet strangers!"
Internet buyer: "Wow, those reviews are awesome...you can't fake those!"
Different Internet stranger: "Be careful of those, you may not know if they are telling the truth!"
Internet buyer: "STFU, you can't prove that they are lying!"
Old 05-30-15, 05:01 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
"They're made in the same factory which makes Schmipptragers!" (Just like the hamburger meat at McDonald's was made in the same cow that makes meat for the 4 Seasons)
Old 06-01-15, 09:56 AM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I 100% guarantee they'll tell you they are a manufacturers and that they own their factory and all the tools. Try to find a China seller that doesn't make that claim.

And that is part of the problem; it's so hard to know for sure EVEN IF YOU GO THERE! I was given a tour of a frame factory and was told by those I was meeting with that they owned the factory only to find out later that this wasn't the case, that they were, in fact, just another trading company.

Or, they could be a factory that makes some products but not all. We work with one carbon vendor that makes rims, handlebars, stems and saddles but not frames. If they were a bit shady they could offer us frames that they themselves were buying from another factory.

Have a look at Alibaba and you'll see these 'factories' that have DOZENS of frame models to choose from. With each model having 3-5 molds for various sizing that means they claim to have upwards of 100 open molds just sitting there in the hopes that one day someone will place an order.

That's impossible.

These are just trading companies who gather up spec/drawings/photos from as many factories as they can find and toss them up on a website or on Alibaba waiting for someone to place an order. Once they receive the order they themselves place an order with the respective factory.

Or it could be a combination where I have a factory and my brother has a factory and my cousin and his sister have a factory and we all have access to each other's molds.

Any way you look at it transparency and accountability are really the things that are hard to come by in China. This isn't just true for the bicycle industry, it's true across all manufacturing sectors from toilet seats to telephones.

If you're really interred in this stuff go to uTube and search "Brits get rich in China". Pay close attention to who gets paid. The guy doing the kitchen countertops is, by far, my favorite.
Carolin: Hello Brett, my name is Carolin, how may I help you?
| brett: oh hi
| Carolin: hi
| brett: where are the wheels made at?
| brett: what factory?
| Carolin: we have our own factory.
| Carolin: the rims are manufactured in China
| brett: oh I thought you were a re-seller
| Carolin: we manufacture the rims and sell the products.
| Carolin: which product do you need?
| brett: wheels
| Carolin: road or MTB?
| brett: but i wanna buy from the manufacturer
| brett: not a re-seller
| Carolin: we are the manufacturer
| brett: oh that is good
| brett: I had heard that hongfu and dengfu are only re-sellers
| Carolin: I have no idea for hongfu and dengfu
| brett: do you work at the factory or at another location?
| Carolin: our working place is not far from factory.
| brett: have you been to factory?
| Carolin: sure, we offen go to our factory.
| brett: so when i buy wheels you can go see if they are working on them?
| Carolin: do you mean whether it's OK to take some photos of your rims during manufacturing?
| brett: yes with iphone
| Carolin: take the photos with iphone?
| Carolin: we usually take the pictures with camera. OK?
| brett: yes
Old 06-01-15, 10:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Well, if that's not definitive, I don't know what is.
Old 06-01-15, 11:06 AM
eyewannabike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not surprised by the price difference. There's a lot to be said about buying right from the manufacturer. The LBS markup alone would be at least 50%. A store doesn't warehouse their own stuff. They likely buy from a wholesaling company in their region. They tack on a percentage as they. THey probably buy from someone else who does the same.
Old 06-01-15, 11:30 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
how does a handlebar thread turn political?
Put it on BF
Old 06-01-15, 11:50 AM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Well, if that's not definitive, I don't know what is.
I wanna believe tho
Old 06-01-15, 01:26 PM
ls01
he said member

^^^so you broke the bars you started the thread about?
Lol. You didnt read the thread, just pounced?
Old 06-01-15, 04:41 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Lol. You didnt read the thread, just pounced?
I read the thread in the beginning but was away a missed a few pages. When I came back I just clicked on the last page because I was too lazy to go back and sift through the bickering to find plot points.

Kinda like you just did?

Old 06-01-15, 05:42 PM
ls01
he said member

I read the thread in the beginning but was away a missed a few pages. When I came back I just clicked on the last page because I was too lazy to go back and sift through the bickering to find plot points.

Kinda like you just did?
Im sorry if you took that as an attack or judgement Bob, it struck me as funny, note the ,lol . It wasnt meant as sarcasm. I've been away for a while, I need to reaclimate.
Old 06-04-15, 06:41 AM
fsdogwood

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
I'm a fan of torque wrenches, beyond carbon bikes they are awfully useful, but I've worked as a mechanic in a car shop in the past so I get a little paranoid about using proper torque, a small 3/8 drive craftsman click-torque is cheap enough to warrant having on hand. ~30-40 bucks.
When you are getting into carbon, I'd say, torque wrench is needed. The beam type (not the click type) would be better, and a 1/4" beam type should serve for bicycle perfectly
Old 12-15-15, 10:55 PM
thrillhaus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis
Direct from China carbon can be reasonably safe and affordable, but if you choose to go that route, buy from a company that actually has earned a decent reputation. You'll get less technically advanced open-mold designs instead of blatant counterfeits of cutting-edge stuff, but your odds of eating the pavement are significantly reduced.
Care to share names of said companies? I know of some Chinese apparel companies that do great work, but when it comes to components, I only ever see knock-offs.
Old 12-16-15, 09:27 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by thrillhaus
Care to share names of said companies? I know of some Chinese apparel companies that do great work, but when it comes to components, I only ever see knock-offs.
Then you aren't looing very hard. There are 10X the number of cheap generic parts than there are 'branded' parts. Perhaps their design is inspired by or similar to the shape or appearance of a brand name item, but that does not a 'knock-off' make.
Old 12-16-15, 06:03 PM
thrillhaus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Then you aren't looing very hard. There are 10X the number of cheap generic parts than there are 'branded' parts. Perhaps their design is inspired by or similar to the shape or appearance of a brand name item, but that does not a 'knock-off' make.
Unbranded doesn't give any indicator of a reputable source genius. Yeah I see tons of unbranded stuff on ali and eBay that are based off of existing shapes, but they're all sold by resellers with no information on who the manufacturer is. I bought an unbranded copy of a Specialized Romin saddle. The main logos were missing but it still had some of the model name branding. Just because it doesn't say Specialized, doesn't mean it wasn't a knock off. I use that term loosely and not with any negative connotation. I have no issue with surplus or "B" stock, but what I was inquiring about was original Chinese brands making original Chinese components. Handlebars or seatposts branded with Dengfu, etc., that don't carry the same marketing value (and therefore price) as Enve or 3T, but with known reputable manufacturing. Examples in apparel would be Chinese brands like Santic, Sahoo and Tiebao.