Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Choice between two new bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 12:56 PM
fries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I need your experienced perspective on which new bike I should purchase, if you don't mind.

I'm a brand new road rider and I'm buying my first entry level road bike. I've done a bit of research and hit up a few local bike shops in my area and narrowed it down to two bikes.

Option one is a 2015 Trek 1.1 C, which has all Claris components. The price is $850 CDN.

Option number two is a 2011 Norco CRD 2, which has a Tiagra rear derailleur and the rest of the components are Sora. The price on this one is $700.

Bike 1 comes with unlimited tune ups for 3 months, and bike 2 only comes with 1 free tune up.

Any comments would be appreciated!
Old 06-16-15, 03:12 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am assuming that the Norco is the correct size when I give my advice. The norco is a better bike with better specs. However, $700 seems extremely high for a 4-5 yr old bike that cost only $785 to begin with. Bikes just don't hold their value like that. I did not check bicycle blue book for the price but it is just too high. If I liked the bike, I would check the blue book price and offer close to that rate. I am assuming it is around 450-$500. They are both good bikes though.
Old 06-16-15, 04:06 PM
fries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I am assuming that the Norco is the correct size when I give my advice. The norco is a better bike with better specs. However, $700 seems extremely high for a 4-5 yr old bike that cost only $785 to begin with. Bikes just don't hold their value like that. I did not check bicycle blue book for the price but it is just too high. If I liked the bike, I would check the blue book price and offer close to that rate. I am assuming it is around 450-$500. They are both good bikes though.
Thanks for the reply.

Keep in mind that these prices are in Canadian dollar, so $700 is about $570 USD.
Old 06-16-15, 06:02 PM
eyewannabike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy something that is lightly used. You can find a lot of bike for that amount of money in the used market. Find something that is made for endurance and not racing. Ideally, if you can up your budget a few hundred you'll get a LOT more.
Old 06-16-15, 06:31 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Agree that $700 is high for a 2011 bike with Tiagra/Sora parts, but mostly Soras. Nothing wrong with the bike. I'm sure it's a fine bike, but it's overpriced.

You're likely intimidated by the used market like Kijiji and Craigslist, and I don't blame you, being a newbie and all. But for $700CAD you could probably find something like a 3-4 year old AL bike with at least Tiagra, if not 105's, in decent condition. But I understand your hesitation with buying from private sellers. It's nice to have the assurance and security of the LBS backing up their products.
Old 06-16-15, 07:37 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Buy whichever bike fits you better (ask if you can get a basic bike fitting done with your purchase) with minimal swapping of components.
Old 06-16-15, 09:49 PM
fries

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Agree that $700 is high for a 2011 bike with Tiagra/Sora parts, but mostly Soras. Nothing wrong with the bike. I'm sure it's a fine bike, but it's overpriced.

You're likely intimidated by the used market like Kijiji and Craigslist, and I don't blame you, being a newbie and all. But for $700CAD you could probably find something like a 3-4 year old AL bike with at least Tiagra, if not 105's, in decent condition. But I understand your hesitation with buying from private sellers. It's nice to have the assurance and security of the LBS backing up their products.
Hmm, I did some looking around after I read your comment. I found this Trek Alpha 1.5, which seems like a better bike for less money. It is my size. Obviously I'd have to take her for a spin though. Thoughts?
Old 06-16-15, 09:58 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you want to get a new bike and you don't know how to do the maintenance, buy it from a bike shop, hang around and ask lots of questions. just my $.02.