Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for manual for vintage bike (home) repairs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 12:08 AM
2wheelhigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I ride bikes as my only means of transportation, so it is important/necessary for me to having a working bike. A lot of other people don't understand why I would prefer ti fix my bike myself instead of take it to a bike shop to take care of it (especially as a female), but hopefully I don't have to explain myself, here.

I would like a very in depth, thorough manual that can teach me about bikes, their parts and how they operate, how to diagnose and repair issues, as well as basic maintenance to keep my ride in good condition.

I have noticed that Park Tools has multiple editions of books (that I believe are) like this, but it seems like each book's edition is written for the modern bike at the time of the book's release. This is a problem because...

I ride steel, vintage bikes, and I have found it nearly impossible to find information on making derailleur adjustments for friction shifters (which I prefer and I will not switch over regardless of whether people think it's superior! 😉 Has nothing to do with affordability or maintenance requirements - I just like it better).

As far as resources, I feel like everything made for cyclists assumes they will want and own the latest and greatest. I know it's not like there are so many difference between modern and vintage bikes that a manual more geared toward a modern bike rider won't be of use to me (a bike is a bike, with relatively few changes made since its invention), but I was hoping there might be some manual that can be found online in .pdf form or something. Or, a modern publication with vintage bike riders in mind (not necessarily written exclusively for vintage bikes, but at least considers both modern and vintage riders).

Any one know some good resources? I am very much a novice when it comes to home bike repairs, but I strive to get better.

Also, I'm willing to buy tools or a tool set to assist. I know one can only go so far with a wrench and screwdriver.

Thanks!
Likes For 2wheelhigh:
Old 07-18-23, 12:35 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelhigh
Hello, I ride bikes as my only means of transportation, so it is important/necessary for me to having a working bike. A lot of other people don't understand why I would prefer ti fix my bike myself instead of take it to a bike shop to take care of it (especially as a female), but hopefully I don't have to explain myself, here.

I would like a very in depth, thorough manual that can teach me about bikes, their parts and how they operate, how to diagnose and repair issues, as well as basic maintenance to keep my ride in good condition.

I have noticed that Park Tools has multiple editions of books (that I believe are) like this, but it seems like each book's edition is written for the modern bike at the time of the book's release. This is a problem because...

I ride steel, vintage bikes, and I have found it nearly impossible to find information on making derailleur adjustments for friction shifters (which I prefer and I will not switch over regardless of whether people think it's superior! 😉 Has nothing to do with affordability or maintenance requirements - I just like it better).

As far as resources, I feel like everything made for cyclists assumes they will want and own the latest and greatest. I know it's not like there are so many difference between modern and vintage bikes that a manual more geared toward a modern bike rider won't be of use to me (a bike is a bike, with relatively few changes made since its invention), but I was hoping there might be some manual that can be found online in .pdf form or something. Or, a modern publication with vintage bike riders in mind (not necessarily written exclusively for vintage bikes, but at least considers both modern and vintage riders).

Any one know some good resources? I am very much a novice when it comes to home bike repairs, but I strive to get better.

Also, I'm willing to buy tools or a tool set to assist. I know one can only go so far with a wrench and screwdriver.

Thanks!
i have an old manual i like.. "Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual" 1973 vintage... search it up online... i found my copy at Powell's Books, Portland, Oregon.
Lots' of step-by-step pics, well written.. i last opened it for adjusting a Coaster Brake hub.. Before that, i was learning Sturmey Archer three speed adjustments... and i picked up some tips on curing squealing brakes too. and they show MULTIPLE coaster brakes, not just one brand... exploded "engineering" views of many things... etc...
yah.. it's VIntage. The Schwinn lubes shown have been long ago discontinued...
By Clarence W. Coles and Harold T. Glenn... Published by Crown Publishers, Inc., NY
the Glenn Books folks have a bunch of other Repair manuals,, kinda like Hayne's Automotive Manuals, but this bike Manual is WAY more detailed than a Haynes, IMO... i have about 100 Haynes and Clymers M/C and Auto manuals in my Library.....

I need to mention my Most Used Bicycle Book... "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. I placed a piece of tape on page 94.. "The first spoke"... i found this excellent wheel building guide at a used stuff store... it was priced at 98 cents..... turned out that it was "Half Price Wednesday".. i got it for 47 cents... the clerk wasn't a math major, eh?
i thought it might be a series of bicycling tales... instead, it IS The Go-To wheel building book of most experts... i open it to page 94 every time, then work my way thru to The last spoke.. outbound on the freewheel side... lace the spokes and install the nips... not thinking i need that book any longer, but i still have it ready...

My first Pro M/C Service Manager always told us to have the proper manual open and available, even if we thought we wouldn't need it... Ever split the cases of a 6 cylinder Honda CB-1000 street bike? i have.... The Honda 1100 Magna carbs removal/install was tougher... And suzuki Intruder 800 carbs are a real hassle.. especially when you can't scratch the Rolling Paper thin paint jobs suzuki loves to sell (masking tape EVERYTHING! Tape is cheap, Paint Jobs cost big bucks!).... Thank you, Jim!.. Best Service Manager i ever worked with, period.

Last edited by maddog34; 07-18-23 at 01:19 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-18-23, 01:02 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 07-18-23, 01:29 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Park tools Big blue book has a lot of relevant vintage information as well as more modern standards, this can help learn the jargon so when looking for parts you get an idea of what you actually want. Buy a slightly out of date one cheap. Watch the videos, plenty that are relevant.

Zinn and the art of road bike/mountain maintenance, nice drawings, clear.

Yep, Sheldon Brown, second that.

Tools. Oh god, be prepared to go down a rabbit hole. Best advice, buy good tools on a regular basis by setting your limit (then blow the budget when that special tool comes along at a bargain price…lol), you can always sell good tools if you don’t want them anymore. Decide what you want to do, service, rebuild or restore, helps focus what you buy first.

Have a look at this Ladys website.ciao.

https://restoringvintagebicycles.com/about/
Likes For awac:
Old 07-18-23, 02:34 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts

This site in conjunction with the Sheldon Brown site mentioned above will help you find solutions and advice for almost anything you come across.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-18-23, 03:13 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

Thanks!
In addition to the above-recommended resources by other members, my 2c (to be taken as: what's worked for me so far):

Observe, and try to understand.

For example, you mentioned friction shifter adjustment.

Basically, the principle is the same as adjusting indexed shifters, only you stop once you've configured the derailleur limit screw settings, and attached the shifting cable. As there are no "gear clicks" to fine-tune (you do that by ear as you ride).

Observing and trying to figure out what does what gets you very far, especially with simple mechanical stuff like vintage bicycles. In other words, as you try to figure stuff out, you'll become your own best teacher.
Old 07-18-23, 06:12 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If there's a bike co-op in your area, you won't be able to beat that for hands-on experience, help, and parts.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 07-18-23, 07:08 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts

Thanks!
Adjusting friction and indexed shifters is esssentially the same thing, the only real difference, is on indexed, you adjust the cable tension, and on friction you adjust the shifter tension. Similarly, most other aspects of bike repairs aren't that different.
Old 07-18-23, 07:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If you DIY often enough and have any mechanical aptitude at all, then you'll learn by doing. ParkTool also has some pretty good videos that cover most of the the stuff you want to do. And other info can be found out online too. Shimano has a lot of information about it's old products online including the old user and service instructions and exploded views of the component.

https://si.shimano.com/en/#/

Other manufacturers have online documentation for their old products too if you dig hard enough on their sites or can be found with other search engines.
Old 07-18-23, 07:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Another useful repair book is "Bicycling Magazine's Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance and Repair" published by Rodale Press. Most are long out of print but Amazon seems to have several of the revisions and updates. Mine is the 1994 edition and spans the transition years from freewheels and friction shifting to freehubs and indexing and should be a good version for you. Amazon also has the 1986 edition which will cover "vintage" bikes in more detail.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-18-23, 09:04 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
All of the above. And will add that many of those on Bike Forums (this site) have greatly impressed me with their depth of knowledge. I maintain my own bikes, but none are vintage or something I can't research. But if I was stuck on a repair, this site in where I would turn. Thumbs up to the knowledgeable and helpful mechanics that contribute here!!
Old 07-18-23, 09:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Several good ones mentioned. I'll throw in "The All New Complete Book of Bicycling," by Eugene A. Sloane.
Old 07-18-23, 10:15 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by HillRider
Another useful repair book is "Bicycling Magazine's Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance and Repair" published by Rodale Press. Most are long out of print but Amazon seems to have several of the revisions and updates. Mine is the 1994 edition and spans the transition years from freewheels and friction shifting to freehubs and indexing and should be a good version for you. Amazon also has the 1986 edition which will cover "vintage" bikes in more detail.
I really like this one too. Bicycling produced some great books back then.
Old 07-18-23, 10:21 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I really like this one too. Bicycling produced some great books back then.
Same here, I have learned lots from that book.
Old 07-18-23, 10:21 AM
smd4

Thanks!
You'd be surprised! It also depends on how in-depth you want to go: A screwdriver and a couple wrenches will allow you to do 90% of basic repairs, like adjusting cables or attaching water bottles. Do you want to get into bearing adjustment--hubs, bottom bracket (the crankset axle), headset (the steering bearings)? Then you'll need more specialized tools.

Once you get a few of those "obsolete" manuals, and educated yourself a little, then you can determine just how heavy or light you want to get into repairs.
Old 07-18-23, 01:19 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
I really like this guy's YouTube vids. He's got a bunch of vids and most may not apply to your bike but many do. Spend awhile scrolling through his vids a pick out what looks useful. (1) RJ The Bike Guy - YouTube
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-18-23, 01:41 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Not manuals, but something everybody with a vintage bike should know about

Velobase https://velobase.com/
Disraeli Gears https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/home.html
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 07-18-23, 01:44 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Besides the above, try Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance (never use it but heard good reviews). If you're near a university, see if they have a shop on campus. School I went to is part co-op and part LBS.
Old 07-18-23, 06:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​
Old 07-19-23, 08:42 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
If you can find an old copy of Richard's Bicycle Book (probably the 1980s one with him wearing a Nordic sweater on the front cover) that might be a good start. It's usually available on eBay or online bookstores.
Old 07-19-23, 09:02 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Once you learn how to overhaul a loose-ball bearing it's just like on a modern bike, but easier.
Old 07-19-23, 11:05 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Sutherland's manual can be found online. For example, I believe Scribd gave me a free download of this: https://www.scribd.com/doc/45037747/...cs-6th-Edition.
Old 07-19-23, 01:16 PM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You've already gotten some great recommendations. I especially like Sheldon Brown's site and the Park Tool site. Also, Barnett's Bicycle Repair Manual used to be a major source of info. You can get a free pdf copy from https://www.scribd.com/document/2726...-Repair-Manual

This free version may be somewhat outdated, but if your bikes are vintage that may not matter. (A word of caution, if you choose to download it, be sure to check for the file for malware.)
Old 07-19-23, 06:46 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Ever split the cases of a 6 cylinder Honda CB-1000 street bike? i have.... The Honda 1100 Magna carbs removal/install was tougher... And suzuki Intruder 800 carbs are a real hassle.. especially when you can't scratch the Rolling Paper thin paint jobs suzuki loves to sell (masking tape EVERYTHING! Tape is cheap, Paint Jobs cost big bucks!).... Thank you, Jim!.. Best Service Manager i ever worked with, period.
The best sounding production internal combustion engine ever. (IMHO) So sweet.
Old 07-19-23, 07:08 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
The best sounding production internal combustion engine ever. (IMHO) So sweet.
I’m partial to the B-17 Pratt and Whitneys, personally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.