Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Commuter bikes better exercise than road bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Commuter bikes better exercise than road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 10:51 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
I've seen most of these odd wheels around, row bike and all. There's 2 guys on Penny Farthings doing regular rides around. One of them was a ride along marshal for the marathoners run day a couple weeks ago. One old guy had a low rider no crank contraption.
A 3 yo kid on a strider made the national news this week, on a BMX dirt track. Dad says he gets to accompany him around the track too.
That treadmill bike has twin boat anchor roller brakes for the lose lose. LOL.
Looking at commuter routes this week a couple times, there were fewer walmart BSOs than there used to be. Half were women.
Old 09-22-23, 11:37 PM
Hank McMauser
Amateur tinkerer

Bikes: Schwinn DSB , Raleigh Mojave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Years ago I would ride the Cuyahoga trail with my brother, he always claimed he didn't need a better bike than his yard sale huffy mountain bike that weighed in at 40+ pounds , for if he upgraded to a lighter more efficient design he would then lose a lot of the health benefits of pedaling harder. I didn't argue with him we were both enjoying the hell out of it.
Old 09-23-23, 12:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
The 1817 version was a better design.
I heard Rene Herse is going to start building those.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-23-23, 12:37 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I heard Rene Herse is going to start building those.
Best comment ever.

Jan will write some flowery piece about it’s Q Factor.

Grant will gush that it’s steel.

And with lacking the 2 triangles of a diamond frame (The loading mostly in compression or tension), Russ will call it supple.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 09-23-23, 12:41 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I've seen most of these odd wheels around, row bike and all. There's 2 guys on Penny Farthings doing regular rides around. One of them was a ride along marshal for the marathoners run day a couple weeks ago. One old guy had a low rider no crank contraption.
A 3 yo kid on a strider made the national news this week, on a BMX dirt track. Dad says he gets to accompany him around the track too.
That treadmill bike has twin boat anchor roller brakes for the lose lose. LOL.
Looking at commuter routes this week a couple times, there were fewer walmart BSOs than there used to be. Half were women.
Penny farthings are at least visually interesting.
Everything else?

Old 09-23-23, 12:45 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Street Strider” is one of the brands of those stand-up elliptical bikes. Like 3alarmer said, they seem to be piloted by “Fitness Is My Lifestyle” types.

They’re the answer to the question “How do we make a more intensive workout, while making it completely impractical for anything else you might use a bicycle for?”

The conundrum of modern first world life.
The vast majority of us don’t do physically strenuous labor. Then some go out of their way to put physical exertion back in their lives. A few of those get really stupid with it.
Old 09-23-23, 07:54 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Street Strider” is one of the brands of those stand-up elliptical bikes. Like 3alarmer said, they seem to be piloted by “Fitness Is My Lifestyle” types.

They’re the answer to the question “How do we make a more intensive workout, while making it completely impractical for anything else you might use a bicycle for?”
I have a friend who is very tall (at least 6’ 10”) and he used to run and walk regularly but he has long had back problems and eventually neither running nor biking worked well for him.

Now he is one of several folks I see using an Elliptigo or other elliptical on our Katy Trail. That trail is relatively flat and straight and well suited to the less-than-nimble elliptical.

Last time I passed him up he commented that he was gathering all the headwind, which you can well imagine with someone his height on a standing bike. 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-23-23, 11:40 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah I want to do a workout on my elliptical cross trainer, but I need to do it while moving down the road. Next up will be a rowing "bike" and maybe they could get a squat rack to ride down the road?
There are ability adaptive ‘bents that use hand/arm power. Suppose some of them could be considered “rowing bikes” if you squint hard enough.
Old 09-24-23, 02:26 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
There are ability adaptive ‘bents that use hand/arm power. Suppose some of them could be considered “rowing bikes” if you squint hard enough.
Hand cycles are legit, not silly. A bike with the crank and pedals replaced by a mechanism similar to an elliptical trainer… that’s silly.
Old 09-24-23, 02:45 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Hand cycles are legit, not silly. A bike with the crank and pedals replaced by a mechanism similar to an elliptical trainer… that’s silly.
Didn’t say it was silly - just that if you want to look at a cycle that is a “rowing bike”, those have already been marketed.
Old 09-24-23, 08:45 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
???

Not clear to me why "heavier" and "less efficient" are lumped together here. Less efficient bike will indeed need more effort. A heavier bike will not need more effort. Bike weight has no effect of effort, unless you are talking about exclusively uphill riding.
Commuting often involves traffic lights and stop signs, and they're not all conveniently placed at the top of a hill. So you have to repeatedly brake and waste some of your earlier effort, and repeatedly accelerate back up to speed, sometimes against gravity, so the mass of the bike will have an impact.

My commute is slower on my heavier bike, even though the two have similar tire pressure and body position. And a long down hill section is messed up with construction and blockages, so I don't get extra coasting benefit on the beast.

Last edited by cooker; 09-24-23 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-24-23, 09:10 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I'd also posit that the bike that requires the most effort, under the guise of "better workout" is also the least effective at being a bicycle
That's pretty much the definition of a stationary bike.
Old 09-24-23, 09:12 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Along the lines of Maelochs post, she will get the best workouts on the bike she feels most comfortable on such that she rides it more often.
Which is exactly what she's doing .
Old 09-25-23, 05:42 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Really? So for someone to use a hand cycle as an adaptive cycle is ok, but someone who has back issues and can’t ride a seated bike, using an elliptical as an adaptive cycle is somehow “silly”? What if it’s a standup bike with round cranks and no saddle? Is that somehow “not silly”?

I’ve used an elliptical trainer for more than an hour many times. I’ve ridden out of the saddle for sixty straight minutes a handful of times and it was very strenuous on my feet. I can see the preference for elliptical on a standing bike.

Otto
Old 09-26-23, 03:25 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Really? So for someone to use a hand cycle as an adaptive cycle is ok, but someone who has back issues and can’t ride a seated bike, using an elliptical as an adaptive cycle is somehow “silly”?
Correct.

Find a bike with geometry that your back can handle. Or use an indoor elliptical. Bikes are bikes, ellipticals are ellipticals, and trying to merge them into one is dumb. A tadpole recumbent is already different enough. It's in its own category. It kind of has more in common with a wheelchair than a conventional bike.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to use these things; you can ride whatever bizarre contraption you want. Just don't ask me to go along with it as a good idea.
Old 09-26-23, 03:39 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Correct.

Find a bike with geometry that your back can handle. Or use an indoor elliptical. Bikes are bikes, ellipticals are ellipticals, and trying to merge them into one is dumb. A tadpole recumbent is already different enough. It's in its own category. It kind of has more in common with a wheelchair than a conventional bike.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to use these things; you can ride whatever bizarre contraption you want. Just don't ask me to go along with it as a good idea.
Noted. We can agree to disagree on this one.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-26-23, 04:50 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
On the annual July 4th ride up Glendora Mountain Road this year on my almost-antique StumpJumper, a guy says to me as he passes, "Mad respect, you're working harder up here than all of us."

At the time, I puffed up a little bit. But then I thought about it and realized that I was probably working as hard as I would have on my road bike - I just would have been faster and farther up the hill. So, I don't think you get a better workout, just more of it.