Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Cataract surgery

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 07:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I have been reading up and watching videos on the lens choices for my upcoming cataract surgery. I have looked mostly at the Standard lens, the Panoptix, and the Vivity.

The standard would be covered by medicare, but still require prescription glasses, probably even for riding. I could choose to have correction for near or far vision without glasses.

Then Panoptix and Vivity would both cost about $3000 per eye.

The Panoptix would probably be able to eliminate glasses entirely, but have halos around lights at night.

The Vivity choice would likely require glasses for very close work (most likely 1.25 diopters or so), but no glasses for riding or most stuff also no halos. Also according to some, clearer distance and middle distance vision than the Panoptix.

First off I think I will eliminate the cost as a deciding factor since I will have to live with the choice for the rest of my life. Next, I think that I'd very much like to not need prescription glasses especially for most outdoor activities, but readers for very close work aren't a big deal. I'd like to avoid halos. Being able to buy sunglasses and goggles with a variety of lenses for different conditions without worrying about a prescription would also be a nice perk. All that leaves me favoring Vivity, which was my doc's favorite.

I'll probably continue to read up a bit more, but most likely Vivity is the one.
Old 03-06-24, 08:41 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I think you are making the right choice not having to use prescription glasses at all in the future. I got to the point I was worried about passing the eye test at the DMV which is required every four years for older drivers and because my optometrist could not correct my vision better than 20/40. My lenses cost $7K for a pair and I don't regret spending that money. It is a relief to not have to wear glasses that I had to wear since I was a small child, They did the second eye after 14 days. That is normal so the surgeon knows the first eye surgery has been successful and fully healed. I was warned that I would see a halo around bright lights at night and that is correct. It's mildly annoying but not a deal breaker for having really good near and far vision for the first time in decades. I ride a recumbent trike so there were no restriction other than waiting a week or so. I did notice that I needed to use sunglasses any time I go outside in full daylight. It is very bright in the desert southwest where I live so that wasn't a surprise. We don't have insects to worry about but I need to be mindful that I don't have lenses to protect my eyes from getting poked. For the first two or three weeks I would wake up in the morning and reach for the glasses I no longer needed. It was force of habit that soon wore off.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 03-14-24, 07:18 AM
staehpj1

I have my appointment for the eye measurements tomorrow. Any insight on what to expect? Does it make a difference If you are choosing a Monofocal, Multifocal, or Extended Depth of Focus? Or is the process exactly the same for all? I didn't ask when I was at my last appointment. Not positive at what point I need to commit to a choice. My best guess is that the measurement appointment is the same for all and I will still have all three options available after that point without remesurement for the 6 month period.

I am leaning heavily toward the Vivity EDOF IOL, but have not absolutely ruled out the other choices.
Old 03-15-24, 03:18 PM
staehpj1

I went ahead and scheduled my surgery. I get the first (right) eye done on June 6th. I went for the Vivity lenses.
Old 03-20-24, 08:57 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I’ve been pretty happy with the Vivity. I can thread a fly with 5X tippet, even though there is quite a bit of guesswork involved.

Likes For Dudelsack:
Old 03-23-24, 06:29 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I knew they were going to put one of those things in your eye so you can't blink. I was imagining the scene from A Clockwork Orange... it was nothing like that. It was barely uncomfortable.