Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike weight?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike weight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 04:19 PM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike weight?

If you are already a big guy, does a a bikes weight make that much of a difference? I am going to purchasing a road bike very soon, and Im trying to decide whether spending 400 or 500 more dollars for a carbon bike, instead of a aluminum bike is really worth it.
Old 05-24-15, 04:21 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Get aluminum and lose body weight.
Old 05-24-15, 04:29 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you're getting with a more expensive bicycle isn't just weight savings. You're usually getting many features, depending on which model. Don't think a lighter frame is the only or even first benefit of carbon.
Old 05-24-15, 04:31 PM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
What you're getting with a more expensive bicycle isn't just weight savings. You're usually getting many features, depending on which model. Don't think a lighter frame is the only or even first benefit of carbon.
Got any examples? Im talking about Aluminum and Carbon frames with identical or comparable groupsets from the same manufacturer.
Old 05-24-15, 04:34 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
CF is sweet, but if you are just getting into it I'd save the money.
Old 05-24-15, 04:39 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vexxer
Got any examples? Im talking about Aluminum and Carbon frames with identical or comparable groupsets from the same manufacturer.
Model is still a HUGE factor here. Not just component group and frame material.

Think of frame material as a way that the designer can translate what they intended for a product. Carbon is more expensive due to construction processes, but is far more versatile (why it's used). It can be made lighter than aluminum because of it's lack of design limitations.

But if you were looking between the Giant Defy Advanced with 105 and Giant TCR SLR with 105, guess which one is faster. The aluminum.
Old 05-24-15, 05:02 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Most of what you are getting with more expense is lighter weight. Lighter frame, lighter wheels, lighter components. Once you get past shimano 105 group it's dimishing returns. One could argue that the case with 9 speed Sora but 11 speed 105 has improved ergonomics and shifting so I think you'll see benefits there. As for frames, you can find aluminum that is better than carbon. Better wheels are usually lighter. Some will say better wheels are stiffer and give better acceleration etc but again it's marginal compared to the cost in most cases. And yes if your a heavy rider most of the high end stuff is pointless and even with wheels you'll be better served with heavier, sturdier higher spoke wheels
Old 05-24-15, 05:03 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Unless you are fit and under 180 lbs, bicycle weight means nothing!
Old 05-24-15, 05:14 PM
JimPz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best answer is ride them both, then you will see what if any difference the frame makes, as stated, the light weight of cabon may be the least of its benefits.
But if you try them, you will know how they feel & ride & be better able to choose.
Old 05-24-15, 05:21 PM
Vexxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not huge, Im 6'5 220... Even if I ever got peak fitness though, I doubt I would be under 200.
Old 05-24-15, 05:44 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
with all due respect, 220#'s for a cyclist is heavy, but i'm sure most of that has to do with the fact that you're very tall. i've been riding since 2005, when i started i was 182#'s, and 10 years later after a few injuries and taking 3 years off because of my job, i'm 228#'s. i will say without a shadow of a doubt i was much faster 9 or 10 years ago at 185-190#'s than i am now at 228#'s. bottom line, it's not the car, it's the engine! definitely try both bikes and get whichever one you feel better on. i have friends that ride aluminum bikes that are much faster than other friends that ride carbon bikes. and i have a friend that's 240#'s that can easily average 17's and 18's on hilly rides, but he'll be the first one to admit that he would be faster if he dropped some weight...
Old 05-24-15, 05:58 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Aluminium has a finite fatigue life, so even the best ally frames will eventually fail given enough use. Carbon, although perhaps slightly fragile in some respects (care must be taken with torque settings on fasteners, for example), doesn't necessarily have such a finite life. A well-designed and well-made carbon frame should last until you break it in a crash or hang it up. However, damage to the paint can eventually lead to failure from exposure to UV and/or moisture.

But the main advantage to carbon is its anisotropy, meaning you can have a super stiff frame that's so comfortable you'll think your tyres are soft. Very difficult to achieve with metal. Also, it's amenable to being shaped any old how, offering potential aero and style advantages. OTOH, many folks feel something that's popped out of a mold lacks 'soul' or whatever next to something that's been welded or brazed from tubes, despite the possibility that there's more manual labour gone into in the carbon frame. I love carbon, but I have to admit that it seems like cheating, somehow... a great plastic frame has a hard time seeming as special as a great metal one. This subjective stuff definitely affects your sense of ownership. But you will definitely get more bang for your buck with carbon.

As for weight, meh; it's heaps overrated. Mostly just bragging rights and wank, but lighter is definitely nicer up to a point. A bike can feel lighter if the rims and tyres are light, and the centre of gravity is low (light seat, post, bars, stem & brifters). 8kg should be light enough for anyone except pro climbers.

Last edited by Kimmo; 05-24-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-25-15, 12:39 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Having said that, ally is getting pretty fancy these days; hydroforming really opens up the possibilities.

Old 05-25-15, 04:01 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Aluminium has a finite fatigue life, so even the best ally frames will eventually fail given enough use.
LOL, let's see, I have a 18 year old aluminum bike that's going strong. How many people buy a new bike and ride it for 18 years? Not many. Of all the reasons to not buy aluminum, that's not one.
Old 05-25-15, 05:09 AM
Kimmo

Originally Posted by Lazyass
LOL, let's see, I have a 18 year old aluminum bike that's going strong. How many people buy a new bike and ride it for 18 years? Not many. Of all the reasons to not buy aluminum, that's not one.
So? I have a 20+yo ally bike.

But ~75% of the busted frames I've seen in the last ten years were aluminium.

Although to be fair, given stuff like the Smartweld tech in the vid above, that may become a thing of the past...

Last edited by Kimmo; 05-25-15 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-25-15, 06:08 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Kimmo
But ~75% of the busted frames I've seen in the last ten years were aluminium.
75% of the busted frames I and most others have seen in the last ten years are carbon.
Old 05-25-15, 06:12 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Correct. You're right on both accounts, fatigue and the fact that most people don't ride the same bike day in and day out for 18 years.

Aluminum fatigue not an issue.

Old 05-25-15, 06:13 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
75% of the busted frames I and most others have seen in the last ten years are carbon.
75% of the busted bikes that I've owned have been steel.

Old 05-25-15, 06:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
Model is still a HUGE factor here. Not just component group and frame material.

Think of frame material as a way that the designer can translate what they intended for a product. Carbon is more expensive due to construction processes, but is far more versatile (why it's used). It can be made lighter than aluminum because of it's lack of design limitations.

But if you were looking between the Giant Defy Advanced with 105 and Giant TCR SLR with 105, guess which one is faster. The aluminum.
My impression is that OP is faced with scenario along lines of comparing (just one example): Trek Emonda ALR5 with Emonda S5.. questioning relative merit of going with one vs the other for a heavier rider.
Old 05-25-15, 06:43 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
75% of the busted bikes that I've owned have been steel.
In 28 years and probably 10-12 steel bikes I never broke one. Matter of fact, I've never broken any frame, even a MTB frame and I raced aluminum hardtails for eight years. If you're breaking a lot of frames perhaps you should lose weight or stop stretching the truth to help support your argument
Old 05-25-15, 06:46 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
My impression is that OP is faced with scenario along lines of comparing (just one example): Trek Emonda ALR5 with Emonda S5.. questioning relative merit of going with one vs the other for a heavier rider.
Yeah, that'd be a decision that would have to be made by riding both bikes. I haven't ridden the Emonda ALR5, but I have ridden the Emonda S4 (it's the S5 with Tiagra vs. 105), and I can say it's a fantastic riding bike. I'm very much interested in test riding the ALR just to see how it compares.
Old 05-25-15, 07:50 AM
Vexxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at '13 and '14 Fuji's that Performance still had in stock, Tiagra and 105 equipped ones in the $750 to the $1300 range ... In this model year, I guess that would be the $900 to $1500 range. Im on a budget, so I will likely go with a previous model year of whatever I choose if its available in my size. Im going to look at other brands and other shops, the sales person and Performance was pushing me very hard towards the carbon though, which is what got me wondering.
Old 05-25-15, 08:04 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Can't you test ride them?
Old 05-25-15, 08:11 AM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to stand by saying model needs to be known first. But if it were wether getting the same model in either carbon & Tiagra or aluminum & 105, the difference in price is the answer for the overall value of each.

105 Secteur @ $1,200 vs Tiagra Roubaix @ $1,700 = the Secteur to me, but if the Roubaix were $1,500...

Last edited by IcySmooth52; 05-25-15 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Spellcheck doesn't know grammar
Old 05-25-15, 08:14 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Weight does make a difference, but if you are taking about two bikes, of very similar frame geometry, in the same size, with the same groupset, from the same manufacturer, how much weight are you actually saving going from aluminum to CF? Not enough that you are going to notice it as a big guy on his first road bike.

Does that mean you should forgo the CF for the cost savings? Not necessarily. Frame materials have other qualities besides weight including rigidity, vibration dampening, etc. that affect the comfort and feel of the bike. You should also consider your longer term goals. If you are not planning to be anything other than a recreational rider, then you may want to go aluminum. If your aspirations include becoming a fast rider who can keep up with the A-group on aggressive club rides or hammer out personal bests on long endurance rides, upgrading your components as you go, then you might want to consider CF. Another thought is that if you plan on upgrading to an entirely different bike in a few years, you might want to save the bucks and keep your aluminum "starter" bike as your rainy day, Plan B bike.

While I'm not giving you a definitive answer, what I'm trying to convey is that there are many fine frames made in several different materials, all with their own qualities. Weight does matter but it shouldn't be the deciding factor by itself. Ride both bikes and decide which one you will be the most satisfied with over the next 5 to 10 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.