Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleaning Bike Dish soap vs Bike Wash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 10:24 PM
B1KE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I know lots of people here recommend using Dawn dish soap but I`m wondering if a specialty bike wash product might be better? Specifically I don't want any harsh chemicals and maybe the Dish soap has some of them? The bike wash I'm currently looking at is listed as;

Contains no lye, phosphates, bleach, dyes, brighteners,

Which is better to use and which will results in a clean shiny new bike?

Last edited by B1KE; 05-31-15 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 10:29 PM
TobinH

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Boulder All-Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is not a question that has ever occured to me, but I've been using dish soap for many years with no apparent ill effects. Are you concerned about rubber seals on bearings maybe?
Old 05-31-15, 10:36 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've been using Dawn on my bikes for the last five years. I've [also] used it on automobiles as well. And for many, many years.... I've used Dawn on dishes. Dawn seems to cut grease and grim quickly and leave a shiny residue-free surface.... that is clean enough to eat off of.
Old 05-31-15, 10:37 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I've been using Dawn on my bikes for the last five years. I've [also] used it on automobiles as well. And for many, many years.... I've used Dawn on dishes. Dawn seems to cut grease and grim quickly and leave a shiny residue-free surface.... that is clean enough to eat off of.
It's not great for cars if you wax them as it will remove wax, but who waxes their bike?
Old 05-31-15, 10:40 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't use dish soap, it displaces grease. Your bearings will love you.
Old 05-31-15, 10:45 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
...... it will remove wax, but who waxes their bike?
Well... actually I do. A little wax goes a long way towards protecting my bikes from sweat and road tar (that can get flecked up on the bike from newish hot asphalt). And I like to use a scratch remover/polish... followed by a wax on old vintage paint restorations.
Old 05-31-15, 10:50 PM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Well... actually I do. A little wax goes a long way towards protecting my bikes from sweat and road tar (that can get flecked up on the bike from newish hot asphalt). And I like to use a scratch remover/polish... followed by a wax on old vintage paint restorations.
Well if you're going to wax your bike it will last longer if you don't use Dawn and use a milder car wash instead. Mind you it probably doesn't take long to wax a bike. I used to use some fancy car wax products from Zaino that would take over an hour to apply. Haven't done it for quite a few years though.
Old 05-31-15, 11:18 PM
cashmonee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dawn, or any dish soap is basically a degreaser. On the frame? Not a problem. Just be careful in other areas. I use a rinseless car wash (same as the one I use on my car), and I occasionally wax with either a car wax or furniture wax, such as Pledge. The results look great, and as mentioned above, with the wax on there, most stuff just wipes off with a rag in between any wash.
Old 06-01-15, 02:44 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
It's not great for cars if you wax them as it will remove wax, but who waxes their bike?
I wax my bikes. Why would someone not? Paint is paint, car or bike doesn't matter. Wax protects it and makes it shine. But yeah, don't use dish soap.
Old 06-01-15, 03:06 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good grief I'm glad there are other ocd folks here who think it's fine to wax your bike. I thought I was the only one.

I use a spray called "Honda polish" from the bike shop (motorcycle bikes) to clean my bikes between good scrubbings, some times I use Lucas Slick Mist which I always used on my bass boats.

Waxing toys is good, my trek fuel is going on 3 years old, thousands of miles on some nasty hill country trails, and still looks great.

My road bikes usually look even cleaner. These things cost too much to buy, even more to upgrade, and I like to keep them nice.
Old 06-01-15, 03:57 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I wash mine with Turtle Wax Car Wash, and use Lucas showroom spray wax, the road dirt whips off with a damp cloth between washings.
Old 06-01-15, 04:49 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems to me regardless of what you use, if you're concerned about harshness, it's really a question of dilution and method of application, and I have to imagine dish detergent is relatively mild to begin with. You'd think car and bike wash products would be relatively cheap by comparison, since they don't have to worry about purity, toxicity, or whether the residue is palatable.

Speaking of palatable, I got some Finish Line Super Bike Wash a while back, but it smells atrocious, so I just use Ajax dish detergent instead. And I often finish the job by wiping the bike down with a cloth sprayed with Pledge or store brand equivalent.
Old 06-01-15, 04:57 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I've been using White Lightning Wash & Shine.. seems to work well, and perhaps unlike using soap, there's not a requirement to rinse off after use.. which is a nice benefit if you're an apartment dweller with uneasy access to a garden hose.
Old 06-01-15, 05:01 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I only use dish soap when buying a used bike (I like vintage bikes). If any are worried about harsh chemicals just dont use so much soap.
Old 06-01-15, 05:37 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Dish detergent. You can soak your hands in it.
Old 06-01-15, 06:26 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Paper towel and some water. Titanium is easy to clean.
Old 06-01-15, 07:06 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I use a spray bottle of with a mixture 20% Simple Green and 80% water with paper towels to clean the bike. The finish is matte black so no wax.

Remember, a clean bike is faster due to less aero drag.
Old 06-01-15, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
My bike builder recommends Pledge.

As for waxing, Brazilian is the only way to go.
Old 06-01-15, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Dish detergent. You can soak your hands in it.
Madge!
Old 06-01-15, 08:45 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I never ride in the rain and ride in generally clean circumstances. I'll still wipe my bike down with a rag and water after most every ride. About three times a year, I'll degrease all of the mechanicals with a little cup of mineral spirits and a piantbrush. I'll fill the shifters with WD40 a few times and let it drain out. I'll then wash the entire bike with a bucket of very diluted Simple Green and a garden hose. I'll then relube everything. I stay away from hubs and my bottom bracket with the hose. Note that I specifically bought a frame with really good drainage holes.

If I'm feeling saucy I might hit my brushed Ti frame with a little Pledge, but that's rare.
Old 06-01-15, 09:01 AM
eyewannabike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cashmonee
Dawn, or any dish soap is basically a degreaser. On the frame? Not a problem. Just be careful in other areas. I use a rinseless car wash (same as the one I use on my car), and I occasionally wax with either a car wax or furniture wax, such as Pledge. The results look great, and as mentioned above, with the wax on there, most stuff just wipes off with a rag in between any wash.
There used to be a commercial showing that though you can do it at home. Put a bunch of greasy dishes in water in the sink. Drop in a drop of dish detergeant and watch the great on the surface part like the red sea.
Old 06-01-15, 09:22 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At one of SRAM's recent press camps, the mechanics/support staff were using plain ol' Dawn dish soap on the bikes.
Old 06-01-15, 11:51 AM
B1KE

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like it doesn't matter too much judging by everyone's experience. My bike is aluminum but it's matted a bit, I doubt it would have any negative effect if I used dish soap?
Old 06-01-15, 12:13 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I like Pledge Multi-Surface Natural Cleaner. Read about it on a similar thread on here awhile ago. Puts a nice shine on bike and can remove minor grease/oil smudges. I'm skeptical that the $15 dedicated bike wash products work any better than this stuff, which can be found at any grocery store or big box.
Old 06-01-15, 12:24 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B1KE
Looks like it doesn't matter too much judging by everyone's experience. My bike is aluminum but it's matted a bit, I doubt it would have any negative effect if I used dish soap?
It wont hurt as long as you don't let the soap dry on the bike. Also for me, I use a stiff brush to clean my cassette instead of using string or cloth and doing the floss method. I follow this method of cleaning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf80DnCgHRQ then apply a coat of wax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.