Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which bike? 2015 Synapse 105 6 or 2014 105 5?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 12:15 PM
Rockinrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have the capability to get a new 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 6 in matte black (11sp , all 105 components except brakes (Tiagra), RS11 wheels) for $2,100 or a nearly new (50 miles total) 2014 Carbon 105 5 in white/red/black (10sp, all 105 components, RS11 wheels, includes Speedplay pedals, bottle cages, wired Bontrager computer, saddle bag and tool kit) for $1,600. As much as I like the matte black of 6 the deal on the 5 is compelling.
Which way would you go?

Actual 105 5 bike
Synapse Carbon 5 105 - Synapse Carbon - Endurance Road - ROAD - BIKES - 2014

Synapse Carbon 105 6 - SYNAPSE CARBON - ENDURANCE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2015

Additional info: The 2014 105 5 is very slightly used with only 50 miles on it. This is not my first bike, I've just been into triathlon for quite a few years and just getting back to regular road riding. I'm also capable of basic maintenance and fixes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
new bike.jpg (39.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg
new bike 2.jpg (76.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Rockinrider; 06-06-15 at 05:41 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-05-15, 12:39 PM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say no one can blame you to be conflicted. I want both.

I think I'd enjoy cheaper upgrades on anything 10sp for the bikes I already have, but if I were to buy an entirely new bike, I would get the 11sp group and wheels for a bitta future-proofing.
This coming from a person who is sure he wouldn't notice the difference between a 10 an 11 speed group.
Old 06-05-15, 01:20 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go for the 11-speed given those choices, especially if you are planning to keep it for a while. If you're planning to only use it for a short time and then replace it, maybe the 10-speed is a better buy.
Old 06-05-15, 01:31 PM
JmanEspresso

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an owner of the Synapse Carbon 5, Ill offer my 2c.

The synapse is an awesome bike if you are looking for a sportive/enduro geometry bike. When I was buying, I mostly tested those types of rides, only tried a few "race" bikes, two most notable would be an SL4 Tarmac and a 5.x Madone. Compared to the Synapse, I definitely noticed the more aggressive position and more twitchy response(I didnt think this was bad, but as a non-veteran rider, the synapse inspired confidence, while the racier bikes slapped me upside the head and yelled "be confident!") Even compared to other sportive bikes, I just loved the Synapse. So take my suggestion with the appropriate salt.

Honestly Id say, if you could afford either and it really doesnt matter, chose based on color. The one credit I would say would be worth it to get the 11spd, is if you think you would upgrade your group to Ultegra or Dura Ace down the road. With the 105 11speed, you can add pieces of the other groups to work with the 105 parts you keep. I mean thats minor though, upgrading to either of the groups mentioned will cost $$ regardless, you'll just be able to spread it out slightly with the 105 11speed. That to me, makes the 105 11 speed have an almost intangible benefit. I think Id still choose between colors.

Although, spending 500 bucks less could be the start of a new wheelset, or some sharp new shoes and kit, or you could seriously enhance your bike tool inventory if its not already well stocked..
Old 06-05-15, 01:40 PM
eyewannabike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd find a lightly used Synapse in the aftermarket and find one that has all of the things from the second bike but that's an 11 speed. You can find used bikes in the $2000's with Di2 shifting. Once you go there, you wont go back.
Old 06-05-15, 02:15 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Rockinrider;17868728]So I have the capability to get a new 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 6 in matte black (11sp , all 105 components except brakes (Tiagra), RS11 wheels) for $2,100 or a nearly new (50 miles total) 2014 Carbon 105 5 in white/red/black (10sp, all 105 components, RS11 wheels, includes Speedplay pedals, bottle cages, wired Bontrager computer, saddle bag and tool kit) for $1,600. As much as I like the matte black of 6 the deal on the 5 is compelling.
Which way would you go?

They are both nice bikes and will do the job. If you can afford the one that you really want than I would buy that one. Although, the lower price is tempting.

Originally Posted by eyewannabike
I'd find a lightly used Synapse in the aftermarket and find one that has all of the things from the second bike but that's an 11 speed. You can find used bikes in the $2000's with Di2 shifting. Once you go there, you wont go back.
This...NOT.. You may or may not like Di2. The OP did ask for opinions so the response is fine. However, he never mentioned other bikes or components. I am not a fan of Di2 and I certainly would not spend the extra money on it. There is no meaningful upgrade that it will provide for that extra amount of money.
Old 06-05-15, 02:22 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The warranty might be something to factor in. 5800 is nicer, but only costs $400.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 06-05-15, 02:37 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which one looks cooler to you? Have you done a test ride on the Carbon 5?

GH
Old 06-05-15, 03:09 PM
eyewannabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
This...NOT.. You may or may not like Di2. The OP did ask for opinions so the response is fine. However, he never mentioned other bikes or components. I am not a fan of Di2 and I certainly would not spend the extra money on it. There is no meaningful upgrade that it will provide for that extra amount of money.
Malarky. DI2 is perfect shifting, period and it can do things that your shifter simply cannot. Hold the shifter, it just runs through the gears. No maintenance adjustments, no messing around, no missed gears, just perfect shifting, always. Explain the two to someone who knows nothing about cycling and there would only be one choice they make.

Incidentally, I just bought a used bike in his price range that included DI2. Hence my post.
Old 06-05-15, 06:31 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Are both bikes new or is the older used? If both are new, I'd be tempted to save the money (but it's very close). The 2014 is new and the 2015 is new, I'd get the new bike. You get a support from the LBS and a lifetime frame warranty. The freebie stuff is nice, but most used bikes seem to need a little bit of tune-up which can be equivalent to freebies.
Old 06-05-15, 07:40 PM
JmanEspresso

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres another thought.. Is this your first bike? or, along with that, can you work on your own bike?

If you cant work on your own bike, having the backup of a bike shop is very helpful.. and not that they wont work on a bike you bought elsewhere, but lots of shops offer discounts on the bikes they sold, and usually give a free 30 days and heavily discounted 6month tuneup on a bike purchased there.

truth of the matter is, you couldnt go wrong with either. As an example, considering getting two bikes which one likes, and the only difference is cost, do you very hardest to get the more expensive one, because in 2 months, you wont care what you spent, what you'll care about is how much you love the bike you own.
Old 06-06-15, 05:42 AM
Rockinrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Additional info: The 2014 105 5 is very slightly used with only 50 miles on it. This is not my first bike, I've just been into triathlon for quite a few years and just getting back to regular road riding. I'm also capable of basic maintenance and fixes.
Old 06-06-15, 07:53 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
If you can afford either, I'd vote for whichever is cheaper with a warranty from Cannondale.
Old 06-06-15, 08:53 AM
isuckatbiking

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the 11 speed.

I sold like sparingly used synapse 5 105 2014 in black bbq and lost a TON of money.

Sold it for 1200 cause on one wants a 10 speed.
Old 06-06-15, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Why are you on the fence? Is the 2014 a private seller or the shop? If private seller, he is the one getting a deal! Do you need that $500 for something else? Right color, right gearset, LBS loves you. YOLO
Old 06-06-15, 09:32 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'd buy the 10-speed. That's a lot of money for something that isn't a big deal. I can tell you, I wouldn't have any trouble identifying more than a handful of cycling-relate uses for the $400 if I absolutely had to spend it.
Old 06-06-15, 09:33 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by isuckatbiking
Go with the 11 speed.

I sold like sparingly used synapse 5 105 2014 in black bbq and lost a TON of money.

Sold it for 1200 cause on one wants a 10 speed.
Why on earth did you do that?
Old 06-08-15, 07:33 AM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Malarky. DI2 is perfect shifting, period and it can do things that your shifter simply cannot. Hold the shifter, it just runs through the gears. No maintenance adjustments, no messing around, no missed gears, just perfect shifting, always. Explain the two to someone who knows nothing about cycling and there would only be one choice they make.

Incidentally, I just bought a used bike in his price range that included DI2. Hence my post.
I never said that Di2 is bad. I simply said that I personally do not think that it is worth the price difference. Some people will like it and others will not. If you only explain the difference as you put it of course they will sway that way. If you tell them that they have to charge it and that it can go dead in the middle of a ride, they may go the other way. I have no problem with Di2 and understand why some like it. I am more of a purist and do not choose it for me though. I also do not recommend it to new riders because of the cost of entry into the sport. To each his own though.
Old 06-15-15, 09:26 AM
eyewannabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
If you tell them that they have to charge it and that it can go dead in the middle of a ride, they may go the other way.
If I tell them that the battery has to be charged every 2000 miles it woudln't make a difference.
Old 06-15-15, 09:43 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
I sold my giant tcr advanced sl with 10 spees ultegra for $1000 because nobody wants 10 speed and people are wary of buying used carbon. Resale on carbon bikes depreciates fast.

As for OP, buy the cheaper one and buy a full 6800 group for $600 from a UK site and upgrade. For $100 more than the new 5800 bike you get full 6800 bike
Old 06-15-15, 09:47 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I sold my giant tcr advanced sl with 10 spees ultegra for $1000 because nobody wants 10 speed and people are wary of buying used carbon. Resale on carbon bikes depreciates fast.

As for OP, buy the cheaper one and buy a full 6800 group for $600 from a UK site and upgrade. For $100 more than the new 5800 bike you get full 6800 bike
I'd hate to see your losses on cars!
Old 06-15-15, 11:04 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'd hate to see your losses on cars!
Huh? Market dictates. I got ten offers and all within $100. At the same time, I got a like new caad10 with upgraded saddle and stem and with pedals, bottle cages and bags for $500. A lot of people here have money to burn and just drop $3000+ on a new bike when they want and people shopping for used always want a good bargain.
Old 06-15-15, 11:36 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Huh? Market dictates. I got ten offers and all within $100. At the same time, I got a like new caad10 with upgraded saddle and stem and with pedals, bottle cages and bags for $500. A lot of people here have money to burn and just drop $3000+ on a new bike when they want and people shopping for used always want a good bargain.
So you're just not careful with money. I get it.

Edited to add, you write that you "lost a ton of money" then go on about how there really wasn't any loss despite the fact that nobody wants 10 speed. It doesn't make any sense. Nobody wants crappy 10 speed stuff EXCEPT for the 10 people lined up to buy it.

Where is the LOST A TON OF MONEY part of the story?

Last edited by cale; 06-15-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-15-15, 02:14 PM
Shuffleman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If I tell them that the battery has to be charged every 2000 miles it woudln't make a difference.
This is simply not true. Some people won't care and others will.as a runner, I am very aware of gps watches that have to be charged frequently. I have owned them and hate them. I prefer a watch that does not require frequent charging. I know others who don't care. Di2 will have its detractors and followers as well. I simply say enjoy whichever you like but don't push those likes as if they are the norm and the future. It may be a fad and it may be here to stay. Personally, I do not care either way.
Old 06-15-15, 02:33 PM
isuckatbiking

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted an aluminum bike

More importantly, I just fell out of love with the looks of an all black matte bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.