Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nutrition, Heroin addiction, the road, weight loss, nutrition, and Life

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-15, 11:29 PM
jk_flip

Bikes: 1998 road master "little 5" fixed gear, 98ish aluminum GT triple triangle road bike, 8 speed with dura ace lever shifters and Mavic aksiums, 2016 Trek ALR 6/ultegra/Bontrager race lights

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I'm a recovering heroin addict, I spent 21years old-28 y.o. a full blown pathetic, lying, cheating, strung out heroin addict. I'd do anything, crack, meth, you name it. 4 years ago I sweated it out and got clean for real, things got better but I wAsnt happy, I drank too much, was out of shape, had nothing to love. I was "getting by." Relapses started becoming more frequent. While I never fell back into full addiction I was still not doing that well and felt horrible. One day after a emotionally and mentally brutal relapse with the needle I decided to make a change and ride my balls off. I had grown up racing bmx and was good at it. I had always had a road bike out of a necessity because a car and license wEre no option because of being in so much trouble with the law. I took my old gt triple triangle aluminum road bike and went. 60 miles the first week. 150 by the 4th, then 200-300 by the 8th which is where I'm at now. I did a century after 2 months in 6 hrs and 48 min in cutoff jean shorts, a tshirt, in the rain. Went from 205-173. I WAS HOOKED. I found something to replace my horrible addiction that was healthy, and made me feel and look great, created confidence, and give me a great sex life, it gets me choked up everyday thinking about how lucky I am. My boss, with whom I'm close, saw me change into something unbelievable and gave me the greatest gift I've ever gotten. A promotion, raise, $500 dollars to a new bike and an interest free loan for the rest of it, to be paid, "whenever, 100 bucks a month is fine," she said, "get whatever bike you want and don't worry about the money." UNBELIEVABLE! I have my life back now and my TREK ALR 6 is fast as hell. I'm getting faster now too. I just killed my bread and butter. A 35 mile loop around lake lemon outside of Bloomington, Indiana.i held a 19 mph average and there are some gnarly climbs. I seriously can't believe it. I've tried so hard and so long to be normal, and all it took was 2 wheels, and a little hard work. But it's not even that hard! It's more fun! And the hard parts are what make you faster and stronger. I'm all in and my love and pure need for this runs as deep as anyone. It saved my life. Now for my question. I want to drop the rest of my little belly that's left and have my off the bike diet down. I don't eat on the bike unless the ride is over 40 miles. What should I eat on the bike to lose weight and stay strong and fast? I'm one of you now, I'd love the acceptance and support.

Last edited by jk_flip; 06-16-15 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-13-15, 11:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Good work! Welcome aboard! I am not a lot of help on the dieting; I have always ridden and never been more than 15 pounds over my racing weight of 35 years ago. (And riding help keep my addiction from ever reaching the level of yours.)

You are new on this riding lifestyle. Talk to people who know you and make food changes carefully. You have plenty of time to get the last pounds off and they will come off if you keep riding. But you also have to keep the motor fueled. So it is all balance and what that balance is and should be is different for all of us.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Ben
Old 06-14-15, 12:18 AM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jk_flip
So, I'm a recovering heroin addict, I spent 21years old-28 y.o. a full blown pathetic, lying, cheating, strung out heroin addict. I'd do anything, crack, meth, you name it. 4 years ago I sweated it out and got clean for real, things got better but I wAsnt happy, I drank too much, was out of shape, had nothing to love. I was "getting by." Relapses started becoming more frequent. While I never fell back into full addiction I was still not doing that well and felt horrible. One day after a emotionally and mentally brutal relapse with the needle I decided to make a change and ride my balls off. I had grown up racing bmx and was good at it. I had always had a road bike out of a necessity because a car and license wEre no option because of being in so much trouble with the law. I took my old gt triple triangle aluminum road bike and went. 60 miles the first week. 150 by the 4th, then 200-300 by the 8th which is where I'm at now. I did a century after 2 months in 6 hrs and 48 min in cutoff jean shorts, a tshirt, in the rain. Went from 205-173. I WAS HOOKED. I found something to replace my horrible addiction that was healthy, and made me feel and look great, created confidence, and give me a great sex life, it gets me choked up everyday thinking about how lucky I am. My boss, with whom I'm close, saw me change into something unbelievable and gave me the greatest gift I've ever gotten. A promotion, raise, $500 dollars to a new bike and an interest free loan for the rest of it, to be paid, "whenever, 100 bucks a month is fine," she said, "get whatever bike you want and don't worry about the money." UNBELIEVABLE! I have my life back now and my TREK ALR 6 is fast as hell. I'm getting faster now too. I just killed my bread and butter. A 35 mile loop around lake lemon outside of Bloomington, Indiana.i held a 19 mph average and there are some gnarly climbs. I seriously can't believe it. I've tried so hard and so long to be normal, and all it took was 2 wheels, and a little hard work. But it's not even that hard! It's more fun! And the hard parts are what make you faster and stronger. I'm all in and my love and pure need for this runs as deep as anyone. It saved my life. Now for my question. I want to drop the rest of my little belly that's left and have my off the bike diet down. I don't eat on the bike unless the ride is over 40 miles. What should I eat on the bike to lose weight and stay strong and fast? I'm one of you now, I'd love the acceptance and support. There can be some ****** fast cyclists out there, grow up, this is more to me then a fashion show.
This awesome man i'm really glad you have found cycling to be your new addiction. its a great one to have i have it two and i've had a similar story to yours and i understand how hard it is to break out of a horrible routine man its hard, im so happy when i hear stories like these .Keep it up man. keep going HARD, as HARD as you can. Everything will fall into place.
Old 06-14-15, 01:31 AM
richietables 

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great job, brother- great story. Enjoy your rides... On the bike for me are clif bars and gu.
Old 06-14-15, 03:11 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Heroin man, that's hard core. For God's sake don't do that crap again, glad to see you turn things around. I never did drugs but I drank my tail off in my 20's and early 30's. 15 years ago I just quit and now the thought of a beer makes me want to puke. Don't know how some people can drink their whole lives. Nothing like getting a good nights sleep and waking up early in the morning motivated to go on a ride. I usually eat Cliff bars myself.
Old 06-14-15, 03:33 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
OP,
Quite a remarkable young life you have had. Life can knock each us down without the love and support each of us need.
You are thoughtful and sound to be a very strong cyclist. Eat healthy and ride is my advice. I try to ride and swim everyday.
Eating well...I recommend a Mediterranean diet...lots of fruits and vegetables, nuts, lean meat or plant based protein. This will change what tastes good and a good salad with everything in it will taste better than anything you eat.

Congrats on turning your life around and living a healthy lifestyle. Riding hard and beach time around a lot of hot girls..my day yesterday... beats any substance you put in your body, will make you fitter and like yourself more.
Stay close to those that treat you right and sounds like you have a great boss and associate with people that will make you better. Sounds like you could be a very seriously fast bike rider...already are. Find other fast guys to push you and enjoy the rock and roll. Cycling and a healthy lifestyle...for me that includes a lot of swimming as well...is a much better high than what drugs can give and btw, I am no prude when it comes to drugs but draw the line on hard stuff.
Take care of yourself.

Last edited by Campag4life; 06-14-15 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-14-15, 06:06 AM
jk_flip

Bikes: 1998 road master "little 5" fixed gear, 98ish aluminum GT triple triangle road bike, 8 speed with dura ace lever shifters and Mavic aksiums, 2016 Trek ALR 6/ultegra/Bontrager race lights

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much everyone. I know this is a common story too, Alcohol can be just as bad as heroin if it's abused. So congratulations to all of you who any kind of bike anything has helped. Even if it's just being a fan. I'm sure anyone who found cycling as an adult has had it greatly improve their life. Even if you haven't had a problem we appreciate the support of you "pros" and iron people to make our quality of riding better. And thanks to Eric for showing me the ropes and riding with me
Old 06-14-15, 06:09 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal now is to enter some cat 4s and win and become a cat 3. I'll Give it a year
Old 06-14-15, 06:31 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on the turnaround and hope you don't slide back. Hopefully your interest in cycling will stay strong as you continue to show progress. Many are here for different reasons, but it is clearly an addiction in itself, but at least a healthy one.

As far as what to eat on the bike? I usually stick with Clif bars or bananas for rides over 40 miles and Skratch labs to drink for the electrolytes.

A bit off topic, but your prior history puts you at risk for Hep C. If you haven't already been tested, I'd strongly recommend it. It's a silent killer and treatable if needed.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-14-15, 06:47 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I want you to get Skratch Labs book, Feed Zone Portables. It has some great nutritional information and recipes for you to make your own on-bike eats. You'll get to where you need to get.
Old 06-14-15, 06:52 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I keep it simple and cheap. For rides under 2 hours I eat nothing but bring a 24 ounce camelback filled half way with OJ, half ice and 3 tablespoons of brown sugar. I won't drink anything the first half hour but from that point on, I take 2-3 swallows every 15 minutes or so.
if longer i bring a PB n J sandwich and eat half at 2 hrs or so and the other half an hour later. never hungry, thirsty or bonked with this regime.
As a recovering narcotics addict myself , percocet or vicodin was my DOC, I can relate to your post. be aware that your disease never leaves you and is always waiting patiently to kill you. I hope you are in a 12 step program and have a sponsor. There is no substitute that is effective. Personally I stay away from NA meetings, and even though alcohol was never my DOC, I attend 2-3 AA meetings a week. Why the AA over NA? I could never find an NA meeting with the joyful and longterm sobriety that I found in some of the AA meetings.
Remember as well that exercise can also be an isolating and addictive activity that needs to be handled properly.
Good luck.
Old 06-14-15, 07:05 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-14-15, 07:07 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

My goal now is to enter some cat 4s and win and become a cat 3. I'll Give it a year
There is a separate racing forum if you decide to race, and have racing specific questions.
If you do race, and decide it's not for you, I hope you stick with cycling in general. Racing can add layers of stress and risk, so it's not for everyone.

Old 06-14-15, 07:30 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clean and sober since 11-12-1991.

Back on a bike 6-1-2014........-125 lbs so far, the last 20 are a beeatch compared to the first 125.

Bill
Old 06-14-15, 07:32 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
perfect, ive read good things about skratch labs. theres just sssooo much out there. i worked at a bike shop when i was 15-17 an there was cytomax and gu and clif bars, that was about it.
Old 06-14-15, 07:33 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea? 125? pounds lost, holy ****. you having excess skin issues?
Old 06-14-15, 07:39 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hear that, i dont think i would be that hard on myself for not performing well. im blown away by where im at now. ive been doing this for 14 weeks now. ive always been a rider racer. grabbed some 3rds and 2nds at national bmx races when i was younger and never let it stress me out. i suppose my goal is to just enter a race to see how i can do.
Old 06-14-15, 07:41 AM
jk_flip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
south bend, i could ride there, hilly hundred this year? your routine seems weird to me. i like the idea of ditching the corporate ****, and doing nuts and pb and j. oj in a camel back? Not drinking for an hour? its hot as hell today!
Old 06-14-15, 07:45 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

perfect, ive read good things about skratch labs. theres just sssooo much out there. i worked at a bike shop when i was 15-17 an there was cytomax and gu and clif bars, that was about it.
Plain old food is fine too, and usually cheaper.

Old 06-14-15, 07:58 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if racing works for you fine, but you already know riding works for you... so keep riding and the racing will take care of itself...Thank God for your employer and prove her right.
Old 06-14-15, 08:05 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
south bend, i could ride there, hilly hundred this year? your routine seems weird to me. i like the idea of ditching the corporate ****, and doing nuts and pb and j. oj in a camel back? Not drinking for an hour? its hot as hell today!
i make sure I'm hydrated before I start. The body adapts to stress very effectively. The major method of heat loss cycling, unlike running, is through convection and not sweating. The sweating starts when you stop. I also carry a water bottle on hot days.
Old 06-14-15, 09:19 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Absolutely outstanding. Hopefully you will keep riding and keep turning your life around. Such major steps and you found a wonderful new direction in life. you may consider attendning a 12 step rpgram as well AA, or Narcs. anny. many programs are out there to help you!. keep the positive energy flowing and best of luck to you in all of your new found endeavors..

Gary
Old 06-14-15, 09:56 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats man, that's a hell of a turn around. I never dabbled with drugs myself, mine was alcohol. 12 years in the bottom of a bottle to a level that would have made Johnny Cash say I might need to talk to someone. I was a runner and strong willed so I never gained weight or so any outward ill effects. Just the destruction of relationships, DUI's, only sober for maybe 2-3 hours a day (usually sobered up from the night before around noon and would start again as soon as I got off work). My biggest downfall was I was good enough at what I do and earned enough money it didn't effect me that way, I could always afford all I could drink and never got in trouble at work so I had to go until I decided for myself I was going to die if I didn't stop.

It's a hell of a thing to kick a habit like that. My reason was my oldest daughter, yours is cycling. What keeps me sober now is cycling because I'm getting older and I flat out can't recover like I used to. At one point I could cover 5k in 17 minutes and change with a BAC of .1 or higher after smoking 2 packs the night before. Now I'd be lucky to cover 10 miles on a bike at 10mph after treating my body like that so it just stopped. I am glad you kicked it man, and I know with the right drive and motivation you can keep it kicked. One of the best parts for me, is I can at any time drive myself where I need to go when 8 years ago I had to decide if it was either worth the risk or someone could give me a ride because I'd be over the legal limit within 2 hours of getting off work maximum. Stay sober and stay strong dude, you've got this.
Old 06-14-15, 10:26 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea? 125? pounds lost, holy ****. you having excess skin issues?
I sent you a PM on this, no big secrets but this is your thread not mine :-).

Bill
Old 06-14-15, 10:26 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don't do too much too soon. Pace yourself. Read all you can about cycling & nutrition. Listen to your body. Text books can't tell you how "you" are going to react to certain training/food/rest periods. A lot of people out there stick strictly to numbers, power meters & advice. It can get you to a good place but, learning about your physical abilities, limitation & adaptions is just as Important. So is rest & gradual build up & strength in supporting muscle groups. If you are like many addicts you are going to want to go from zero to a thousand in two seconds. That's a quick path to injury. Be methodical about it. Your body will likely need a year or two to transform from average joe to well rounded cyclist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.