Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best rear groupset - MTB Groupset for etrike - large range

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 02:07 PM
eyewannabike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trikes use MTB groupsets so I'm reaching out to the group here for recommendations. I have an ICE Adventure recumbent trike. Due to the chain loads and distance to the ground, these machines use mountain bike equipment for the drive train. The current setup I have is X5 with a 9 speed rear derailleur and cassette and I'd like to move to an 11 speed. I'm not sure that a 12 will fit. Ideally, something at least 11-46t if not a 10-50t would be ideal. It also seems like a grip shift would be ideal since the trike has vertical, not horizontal handles.

I've looked at both Shimano and SRAM. The only Shimano that seems to get enough teeth on the cassette for what i need is the 9100. I'm not sure if I can use this with a lower end dertailleur. I'm not looking to spend $1000+ on this upgrade. Shimano doesn't seem to have grip shifters, so that's a drawback.

SRAM has good options as well, grip shifters on some options and seems to havevarious options for levels of different components. I'm open to electric shifting but its not a requirement.

I've done a ton of research but can't figure things out. Can anyone suggest a setup. I'm looking to do better than the X5 since it's entry level, but I don't need the top end stuff. Reliability is important but weight really isn't. Do any of your MTB zealots have a recommendation? Thanks in advance for your help.