Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

FS: Ultegra 6700 group

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 09:37 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
FS: Ultegra 6700 group - SOLD

** Groupset is now SOLD **

For sale is a used Ultegra 6700 group in excellent condition.

Why for sale in the C&V sub-forum? Because I like you guys. And this is the last Shimano generation that is compatible with your 8-speed Hyperglide wheelset, allowing you to upgrade to a "modern" groupset seamlessly.

Please read the details below. Pictures of the individual parts can be found here - I attempted to take the least flattering pics possible, showing all visible flaws. If you are outside of CONUS, you'll need to cover the additional shipping cost.

I put the group together used from three different purchased on Craigslist over the years. The group had been installed on one of my bikes and ridden for a few hundred miles, but I upgraded to Ultegra 11 for the new year.

The brake calipers were never installed, as my bike uses cantilever brakes. They've been in the box and remain as purchased, used.

I'd prefer to keep the group together, except for one of the front deraulleurs (see below).

What's included:
  • 10-speed brifters (p/n SL6700) for a double crankset. These are the first generation for Shimano with both brake / shift cables under the bar tape, emulating Campy Ergos. Some have reported these to be finicky to dial in with the rear derailleur but I had no issues. These show little wear, mostly indicating that I didn't ride this bike much.
  • 10-speed rear derailleur (RD6700). This is the short cage version with a claimed larger cog capacity of 30t (as stamped on the cage). I never ran that big in the back.
  • 10 speed cassette, 11-28t (CS5700?). I believe this is actually a 105-level cassette. The label on the lock ring disintegrated in my ultrasonic cleaner.
  • Dual pivot brakes, front & rear (BR6700). I believe that I purchased these with new brake pads (it's been a while), and I see no evidence of wear. These were the only items I didn't clean up, so they could use a quick spit and polish.
  • 10 speed front derailleur (FD6700). I ended up with two of these, one braze-on and one with a 31.8mm clamp. I'm guessing I purchased the second to match the bike. Buyer can choose whichever is most useful. They are in equivalent, excellent condition.
  • 10 speed KMC chain, worn. I snagged a 10-speed chain from the local coop with quick connects (afaik, the Shimano flavor doesn't work with quick connects). It measures as stretched, so I would toss it unless the buyer want it to play with. It will add shipping weight. I'll send the quick connects regardless.

This group worked great while it was installed, I never had an issue. Just wish I had more time to ride and enjoy it.

Last edited by CO_Hoya; 01-09-20 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 08:57 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
I love how Shimano used to give a buyer a choice in color finish. Now they all come in Blah Black.
Old 01-06-20, 09:31 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
For anyone planning a retro-mod build, this is a great option. I put new 11 speed 105 on an old Raleigh for ~$330 and I would have absolutely opted for 10 speed Ultegra at this price instead. GLWS
Old 01-06-20, 09:33 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
For anyone planning a retro-mod build, this is a great option. I put new 11 speed 105 on an old Raleigh for ~$330 and I would have absolutely opted for 10 speed Ultegra at this price instead. GLWS
I'm still convinced 10s shifts better than 11s.
Old 01-06-20, 10:11 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
GLWS, would have been all over this a little while ago. I’m all set now...unless it is still here...
Old 01-07-20, 04:23 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm still convinced 10s shifts better than 11s.
And I believe the 8 and 9 speed groups have some of the best shifting ever available by Shimano.
Old 01-07-20, 07:15 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
And I believe the 8 and 9 speed groups have some of the best shifting ever available by Shimano.
Yup. DA 7700 was flawless.
Old 01-08-20, 10:22 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I have a bike with these shifters and have 25,000km on the right one; still going strong. There's two options to run the shifter cable out of the shifter, one way puts a lot less stress on the cable and I've never had a cable shred in my shifters.
Old 01-08-20, 10:43 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Thanks for the endorsements guys.

I've now included shipping in the asking price. I'm heading out of town next week, would like to get this sold by the weekend.
Old 01-09-20, 03:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Thanks for the endorsements guys.

I've now included shipping in the asking price. I'm heading out of town next week, would like to get this sold by the weekend.
PM sent.
Old 01-09-20, 03:22 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Pending . . .
Old 01-09-20, 06:09 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Wanted to mention a couple things. 1. these brakes have the ball bearing pivots at the mounting bolt. Super nice action. 2. The RD pulley cage is held on by an aluminum bolt with Shimano's green threadlocker on it. If you attempt to remove the cage, make sure you use your nicest allen key. More importantly, HEAT. Warm some water up to at least 150*F before attempting. Otherwise, the aluminum will just give way. Vise grips will remove it afterwards, but that's a lot of work and it absolutely trashes the bolt. Still a great groupset.
Old 01-09-20, 07:41 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Paid! I just happen to have that crankset in black. ....
It will be nice on whatever I put it on. Keep the chain, send the master links! One of the common issues with the shifters is the cable insertion at the shifter body sometimes "bumps" up too high in the receiver, and the cables tend to kink a bit and then wear out quickly. Now that I know it happens, it doesn't, if that makes sense.

Options:

A: Miami Vice Ironman, inbound with a stuck seat post, and will get blasted and powdered, and a carbon fork. I have FSA wheels in black/silver, and Ironman decals in black or white. A satin silver Ironman would be pretty cool with black Ultegra, but then again, I have a set of the black and gold Rolf Vector Pro's, so gold metallic would be quite a head-turner, with the black/gold wheels, black group, and black fork. I'd have to get mirror sunglasses.

B. Silver Cinelli Equipe Centurion. With a black outlined "CENTURION" on the downtube, and small mentions of Cinelli, I needn't be afraid of the correctness police because "it's not Campy." The FSA wheels would match this much better. Much more subtle, in silver and black, but a thoroughbred, nonetheless: a Centurion with a royal pedigree.

C. White Basso Loto with pastel yellow and purple fades, chrome fork. Somehow, I just don't see that happening. Now, Shimano 10 may occur, as I have two sets of Shimano 10-sp wheels with tubular old-school rims, and 10-sp downtube shifters, and DA7700 calipers and FD. I'd just need a 7800 RD. I just happen to have an FSA carbon crankset with an Italian BB...add silver rings, and bling bling bling.

D. Red/white/blue Guerciotti (Ten Speed Drive). That would be the sleeper. The black would look ace, and any of the wheels. HOWEVER.....my lady friend's Guerciotti is 2x8 Chorus Synchro 2, and jeirvine just sold me those Synchro 2 shifters....so I may have to go "traditional" with bling/Campy on this one, forego the Ultegra, and keep with the program. I would ride it to the Giro Della Montagna is St. Louis on Labor Day weekend, sit it outside Mama's, drink sangria in the tent and watch the criteriums.
Old 01-10-20, 04:51 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Paid! I just happen to have that crankset in black. ....
It will be nice on whatever I put it on. Keep the chain, send the master links! One of the common issues with the shifters is the cable insertion at the shifter body sometimes "bumps" up too high in the receiver, and the cables tend to kink a bit and then wear out quickly. Now that I know it happens, it doesn't, if that makes sense.

Options:

A: Miami Vice Ironman, inbound with a stuck seat post, and will get blasted and powdered, and a carbon fork. I have FSA wheels in black/silver, and Ironman decals in black or white. A satin silver Ironman would be pretty cool with black Ultegra, but then again, I have a set of the black and gold Rolf Vector Pro's, so gold metallic would be quite a head-turner, with the black/gold wheels, black group, and black fork. I'd have to get mirror sunglasses.

B. Silver Cinelli Equipe Centurion. With a black outlined "CENTURION" on the downtube, and small mentions of Cinelli, I needn't be afraid of the correctness police because "it's not Campy." The FSA wheels would match this much better. Much more subtle, in silver and black, but a thoroughbred, nonetheless: a Centurion with a royal pedigree.

C. White Basso Loto with pastel yellow and purple fades, chrome fork. Somehow, I just don't see that happening. Now, Shimano 10 may occur, as I have two sets of Shimano 10-sp wheels with tubular old-school rims, and 10-sp downtube shifters, and DA7700 calipers and FD. I'd just need a 7800 RD. I just happen to have an FSA carbon crankset with an Italian BB...add silver rings, and bling bling bling.

D. Red/white/blue Guerciotti (Ten Speed Drive). That would be the sleeper. The black would look ace, and any of the wheels. HOWEVER.....my lady friend's Guerciotti is 2x8 Chorus Synchro 2, and jeirvine just sold me those Synchro 2 shifters....so I may have to go "traditional" with bling/Campy on this one, forego the Ultegra, and keep with the program. I would ride it to the Giro Della Montagna is St. Louis on Labor Day weekend, sit it outside Mama's, drink sangria in the tent and watch the criteriums.
Vote for the Cinelli... then some seriously bright Saddle, cables and tape...
Old 01-10-20, 11:43 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
I love how Shimano used to give a buyer a choice in color finish. Now they all come in Blah Black.
Actually the 6700 groupset is / was available in silver . My Ridley was originally equipped with a 6700 groupset in silver.
Old 01-11-20, 09:47 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
Actually the 6700 groupset is / was available in silver . My Ridley was originally equipped with a 6700 groupset in silver.
Yeah, that was my point. All of the later models were one color. I have the silver on one of my bikes.