Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riders' Build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riders' Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 11:10 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Riders' Build

While watching the Giro D'Italia today, my wife and I were discussing how all the riders have a similar build; i.e., thin, very thin. The question comes up, do they choose to get like that through diet and exercise in order to cycle better, do they cycle better because they are naturally built that way, or do they get that way because of all the cycling?

Also, many seem to pedal pigeon kneed, with the knees pointing slightly inward. Is that just an optical illusion or is that actually a preferred technique?
Old 05-06-23, 11:56 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
While watching the Giro D'Italia today, my wife and I were discussing how all the riders have a similar build; i.e., thin, very thin. The question comes up, do they choose to get like that through diet and exercise in order to cycle better, do they cycle better because they are naturally built that way, or do they get that way because of all the cycling?
While pro cyclists may appear quite thin, on average they fall into a pretty normal, "healthy" range.

Pro cyclist averages:
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 68 kg
BMI: 21

The "healthy" BMI range is 18.5-24.9, so pro cyclists fall in the middle of the healthy range.

Compare that to the average BMI of an adult male in North America: 28.8, overweight.

So pro cyclists appear thin compared to the average overweight North American.

[Insert arguments against BMI as an indicator of health here. Everyone has heard these before.]

On the question of why they are so lean, here's one reason: Anyone who does endurance training 25-30 hours per week will have little body fat. Endurance training consumes fat.

Old 05-06-23, 01:38 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I think the Q factor on cranks and chainlines have gone up through the years. That might be the reason for the knock kneed look, or not.

Last edited by seypat; 05-06-23 at 06:59 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-06-23, 02:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I think the Q factor on cranks and chainlines have gone up through the years. That might be the reasonfor the knock kneed look, or not.
I thought it was because most pro cyclists have smaller hips than us chunky amateurs?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-06-23, 02:40 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
While pro cyclists may appear quite thin, on average they fall into a pretty normal, "healthy" range.

Pro cyclist averages:

The "healthy" BMI range is 18.5-24.9, so pro cyclists fall in the middle of the healthy range.

Compare that to the average BMI of an adult male in North America: 28.8, overweight.

[Insert arguments against BMI as an indicator of health here. Everyone has heard these before.]

On the question of why they are so lean, here's one reason: Anyone who does endurance training 25-30 hours per week will have little body fat. Endurance training consumes fat.
One thing to keep in mind is that professional cyclists appear thin, but they have very little body fat. Grand tours like the Giro require that riders train very hard and the event itself will expend over 6000 calories per day. Then I was younger and training for racing I couldn't put on weight and I would end my summers looking like the riders in today's Giro TT.
As well, the riders who were seen on camera today were mostly the ones expected to do well over all. Watching a sprint stage we would see the sprinters more often. They are much more muscular.
Anyone remember "the gorilla?"

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-06-23 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-06-23, 04:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
If you ask me, the various specialties (climbers, sprinters, time trialists) look noticeably different on average.
Old 05-06-23, 06:20 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
you'd also have to take into account their strict diet and what they eat and drink
Old 05-12-23, 04:49 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn

Ah yes. What came first. It's like the James Smith quote about Olympic swimmers: "Swimmers don't look the way they do because they swim, they swim because of the way they look."

In the same way a pro rugby or gridiron athlete didn't get 'big and broad' by playing rugby / gridiron, he took a lot of steroids plays rugby because he is big and broad!

Of course that's overly simplified. It's a bit of both. At our amateur level genetics are less important. If you're a bigger build you're likely never going to be a professional cyclist no matter how hard you train. How many 6 foot 6 inch pro road cyclists are there? And on the flip side how many NBA pro basketballers are there under 6 foot 6 inches?

While hard work and dedication are paramount, at that 0.1% elite level of sport, genetics plays a big role.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 05-12-23, 05:48 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Ah yes. What came first. It's like the James Smith quote about Olympic swimmers: "Swimmers don't look the way they do because they swim, they swim because of the way they look."

In the same way a pro rugby or gridiron athlete didn't get 'big and broad' by playing rugby / gridiron, he took a lot of steroids plays rugby because he is big and broad!

Of course that's overly simplified. It's a bit of both. At our amateur level genetics are less important. If you're a bigger build you're likely never going to be a professional cyclist no matter how hard you train. How many 6 foot 6 inch pro road cyclists are there? And on the flip side how many NBA pro basketballers are there under 6 foot 6 inches?

While hard work and dedication are paramount, at that 0.1% elite level of sport, genetics plays a big role.
This. It all depends on what your parents passed on to you.
Old 05-12-23, 07:42 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

Pro cyclist averages:

Very true. Society is so prevalent that what is considered to be good looks skinny.
Old 05-12-23, 08:04 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Old 05-12-23, 08:05 AM
ussprinceton

Old 05-12-23, 09:35 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
GC riders are definitely on the thin side, and getting to race weight is a big deal for them since stage races are won on mountains and against gravity. Some pros have given up on becoming or staying GC riders because of the pressures to be as light as possible. Even ones who are naturally light will gain weight in their relatively short off-season -- Geraint Thomas mentioned in his recent podcast that diminuitive Adam Yates would complain about "getting fat" after gaining a mere 2 kilos, which to Geraint was next to nothing. I've also heard some pros say that when running into their peers outside races, one of the default things they'll say to the other is to compliment how thin they look.
​​​​​
There are lots of accounts of old school nutritional thinking that led to pros practically starving themselves. Thankfully modern science has shown that training while properly fueled leads to better outcomes. Maybe that's one reason that a number of the top GC men in recent years (Pogacar, Roglic, Evenepoel) aren't the most emaciated-looking riders in the peloton.
Old 05-12-23, 09:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Reminds me of when mrs datlas and I were dating 34 years ago....I was watching a cycling event on TV (most likely the Tour), she was not especially interested, but she watched for a few minutes and exclaimed "Wow! They all have YOUR body type!"

Sadly, although I may have the body type of a GC/Climber, I don't have the V02 to match.

Anyway, back to OP question it's partly self-selection and partly the training.

Last edited by datlas; 05-13-23 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-12-23, 10:03 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by datlas
Reminds me of when mrs datlas and I were dating 24 years ago....I was watching a cycling event on TV (most likely the Tour), she was not especially interested, but she watched for a few minutes and exclaimed "Wow! They all have YOUR body type!"

Sadly, although I may have the body type of a GC/Climber, I don't have the V02 to match.

Anyway, back to OP question it's partly self-selection and partly the training.
How was the tone of her comment? Was it a compliment, a criticism, or neutral?
Old 05-12-23, 10:09 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
How was the tone of her comment? Was it a compliment, a criticism, or neutral?
Good question. Mostly surprise. Before then, I don't think she even thought of me as anything remotely resembling an "athlete" since I was/am a skinny, slightly awkward, geek.

(my height/weight/proportions are similar to say, Chris Froome, so you can see from usual US sports like football/baseball she was suprised)

Last edited by datlas; 05-12-23 at 10:13 AM.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-12-23, 11:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I just spent 4 minutes trying to figure out why people put effort into making that.
Old 05-12-23, 11:26 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Great thread! I had a female doctor recently tell me that I was petite.
Old 05-12-23, 11:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts

Pro cyclist averages:

If average BMI is in the "overweight" range, then what is "normal" is not healthy, and what is "healthy" is not normal.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-12-23, 01:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by ussprinceton
Why are you posting pics of dudes without any context?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-12-23, 02:00 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why are you posting pics of dudes without any context?
Seems to be before and after pics. Clothed is after, since the hairline seems to have receded there. Maybe showing the effects of many years of cycling?
Old 05-12-23, 02:40 PM
ussprinceton

Originally Posted by Chinghis
Seems to be before and after pics. Clothed is after, since the hairline seems to have receded there. Maybe showing the effects of many years of cycling?
spot on. Thanks
Old 05-13-23, 10:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

spot on. Thanks
Ha, this is just so odd.
What does the before and after show?...you are shirtless in one and then fully dressed in loose clothing in the other.
Old 05-13-23, 05:37 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Yet when I has a BMI of 21 people were quietly asking me if there was anything wrong. Never been fitter.
Old 05-13-23, 05:38 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
No idea who these guys are but im thinking drugs were involved

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha, this is just so odd.
What does the before and after show?...you are shirtless in one and then fully dressed in loose clothing in the other.
yea... pics should make the transformation obvious to a 2 year old. Frowning pre and smiling post can help as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.