Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Renting bicycles out?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Renting bicycles out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 08:06 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Renting bicycles out?

I have some good bicycles, a little older, still in good working condition but I don't use as much anymore because I got better bicycles. It's kind of hard selling them because a lot of people are just ignorant on bicycles.

I was looking into renting them out to out of towners. There is Spinlister but it appears mostly defunct.

When I've traveled I would have liked to rent a good road bike to explore the area so there must be demand for a service like this. Most rental bikes are crappy hybrid bikes like the citibikes in NYC.
Old 06-13-23, 09:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
One word - Liability
Old 06-13-23, 10:12 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
When some coworkers visited from out of town, they mentioned wanting to rent bikes. I offered to let them borrow mine for the weekend. They were stoked and recommended that I start a rental service. Liability and the need to provide mechanical support/customer service were the primary deterrents.
Old 06-13-23, 10:16 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I can't imagine making enough money to offset the hassle of dealing with the public at my door complaining about their experience with my old bikes.
Old 06-13-23, 10:28 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
There's a reason why I don't do Airbnb, nor have any investment rental properties with tenants.

I like to use my time for CYCLING, not providing customer service.

Best of luck to the OP and their insurance and tax filings.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-13-23, 11:27 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Maybe you are also part of that group. Maybe because you have had those bicycles a while and care about them quite a bit you are putting more value into them then they might be worth. I cannot judge either as I have done the same, that is why I don't sell stuff often.

I wouldn't rent bicycles, it is a lot of work for little to no reward unless you really dedicate to it and have a good shop behind it also making other money. Plus all the insurance is going to be a pain and worrying about loss and also having sizes for people. Most rental places have the same bike in different sizes you probably have a bunch of stuff in the same size.
Old 06-13-23, 12:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
It's kind of hard selling them because a lot of people are just ignorant on bicycles..
I guess that means people haven't wanted to pay what you've asked for your bikes. There's more than one way to view that situation.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-13-23, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I guess that means people haven't wanted to pay what you've asked for your bikes. There's more than one way to view that situation.
I remember this guy. Not worth responding to.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-23, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Talk to a local attorney before you even consider this. There may be licensing requirements, major liability issues, what you would need to do to secure your bikes against theft (nonreturn). and the documentation your customers will have to sign.

Also make sure you have a vehicle to go get these bikes when they break dwn wherever because the people you're renting to aren't going to be really keen on roadside repairs.

Seriously, what could go wrong? Bwahahahahahaha!
Old 06-13-23, 01:07 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Thinking about this some more, another spin on this is to provide guided rides/tours with bike rental as part of the experience.
Old 06-13-23, 06:38 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
If you want your bikes to get trashed, I can’t think of a better way than renting them out.
Old 06-13-23, 07:02 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I can't imagine you having enough bikes to cover the liability insurance needed to protect yourself
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 06-13-23, 07:35 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
I've given away old bikes or sold them cheap. Wouldn't want to try and rent them to strangers or even let people use them. I did let a friend use one of my bikes and he crashed it and gave it back unrideable.

I've had a bunch of old cars and a friend and I bought one to use as a rental when we worked at a shop. Some guy had our car and it was stolen from him. He said "sorry". My boss shamed him into giving us a little money but still a loss.
Old 06-14-23, 07:26 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
When an owner makes excuses as to why "It's kind of hard selling" bikes, it always boils down to the same.

They're asking way too much.

Vintage crap is not valuable (unicorns fall into here).

No one simply wants what they have. The crux of the world economy works on supply to demand.

Accept it.

Old 06-14-23, 10:35 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I have some good bicycles, a little older, still in good working condition but I don't use as much anymore because I got better bicycles. It's kind of hard selling them because a lot of people are just ignorant on bicycles.

I was looking into renting them out to out of towners. There is Spinlister but it appears mostly defunct.

When I've traveled I would have liked to rent a good road bike to explore the area so there must be demand for a service like this. Most rental bikes are crappy hybrid bikes like the citibikes in NYC.
If you can’t sell your old bikes what makes you think someone wants to rent them? I have rented bikes on occasion and it falls into two categories. Either city bikes which are set up for that purpose with wide bulletproof tires, upright position and racks or performance oriented bikes in areas renowned for good riding. These performance bikes are set up with appropriate gearing and current models. Perhaps if operating in Tuscany there may be a niche opportunity for classic bikes.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-14-23, 01:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
When an owner makes excuses as to why "It's kind of hard selling" bikes, it always boils down to the same.

No one simply wants what they have. The crux of the world economy works on supply to demand.

Accept it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-14-23, 03:12 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean

Accept it.

I have to say, the crutch used as a backrest on the banana-seat bike is a nice touch.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 06-14-23, 06:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
I have to say, the crutch used as a backrest on the banana-seat bike is a nice touch.
Sissy bar.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-14-23, 07:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Sissy bar.
In my neighborhood we liked extend the forks on our stingrays. I once used a swing set crossbar, sawed in half, to extend my forks for the chopper look. But metal crutch would work perfect for extending the forks.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 06-15-23, 01:26 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Sissy bar.
That was what we called them! I couldn't remember.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 06-15-23, 06:32 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
That isn't a Black Phantom just sitting there, is it??
Old 06-15-23, 07:02 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I rented out a couple of my bikes on Spinlister a few times. It was a good service, and I keep my bikes in pretty-ok condition, so didn’t get any complaints. I made a couple hundred bucks off 5 or 6 total customers.

When I looked into renting out through them in other cities, it seemed like other owners generally priced their stuff higher than I would have expected to pay.