Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Project : Schwinn High Sierra

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-23, 08:29 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts

Last September we moved from Salem to the Tulsa Area . Sunday I found this nice old Schwinn High Sierra its got a lot of grime and has sat for years so it will need a complete rebuild all the components though are in fine shape so it should clean up and make a wonderful rider. My only complaint are the roller cam brakes but I can live with them given the triple butted tubing and that wonderful Deore drive train.

the previous owner installed a quill extender but otherwise the bike is all original and the extender will be going away. This should make for a wonderful gravel touring rig I hope.

Likes For SamSpade1941:
Old 07-11-23, 08:37 AM
tmnguuyen 

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
Last September we moved from Salem to the Tulsa Area . Sunday I found this nice old Schwinn High Sierra its got a lot of grime and has sat for years so it will need a complete rebuild all the components though are in fine shape so it should clean up and make a wonderful rider. My only complaint are the roller cam brakes but I can live with them given the triple butted tubing and that wonderful Deore drive train.

the previous owner installed a quill extender but otherwise the bike is all original and the extender will be going away. This should make for a wonderful gravel touring rig I hope.

Let me know if you want to swap/trade the roller cam with shimano canti. Thanks
Old 07-11-23, 08:44 AM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
Let me know if you want to swap/trade the roller cam with shimano canti. Thanks

Cantis and Roller Cams don't use the same studs and placement of the studs IIRC or else I would do that in a heart beat, the only thing you can replace the roller cams with are Dia Compe 990 unless I am mistaken .
Old 07-11-23, 08:50 AM
tmnguuyen 

Cantis and Roller Cams don't use the same studs IIRC or else I would do that in a heart beat, the only thing you can replace the roller cams with are Dia Compe 990 unless I am mistaken .
I see, may be some other folks with better insights will chime in to set us straight. Meanwhile, i'll be following your progress with making this HS road worthy again. I got one earlier this year with roller cam and XT biopace drive train and the cool fork but not the nice chrome finish like your.
Old 07-11-23, 08:55 AM
SamSpade1941 

I see, may be some other folks with better insights will chime in to set us straight. Meanwhile, i'll be following your progress with making this HS road worthy again. I got one earlier this year with roller cam and XT biopace drive train and the cool fork but not the nice chrome finish like your.

Thanks I just double checked and you can use the U brakes, depending on what I ultimately decide I may see about getting some Deore U brakes from fleabay or I may just keep these on there . Roller cams seem to be a love hate sorta thing, this bike just sat in a storage building and deteriorated from the best I can tell, there is no wear on the drive train components or pads the lady who sold it to me said she bought it new 38 years ago . As soon as it stops raining I will wash the grime off and do an inventory of items to replace , but it appears for now to be the usual suspects . I was surprised at how light this bike is
Old 07-11-23, 09:37 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
The roller-cams are MUCH easier to dial in than all the nay-sayers claim, and are yummy in operation, and absolute eye candy.
Old 07-11-23, 10:52 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
The roller-cams are MUCH easier to dial in than all the nay-sayers claim, and are yummy in operation, and absolute eye candy.
Totally agree with this as I've used a High Sierra as my main commuter for the last 5 years or so. When I was in Portland, I had people ride up behind me, more than once, and say, "my god, those brakes are incredible looking! They l are stout!". When polished, they are a thing of beauty! Stopping power seems to be a nothing burger when set up properly.
Old 07-11-23, 04:53 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
I'm a High Sierra fan.
Black chrome and roller cams A++
I think you will like it a lot once you give it a go thru.
Happy Trails.
Likes For OTS:
Old 07-11-23, 07:10 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
One of my favorite bikes was my early 80's black chrome High Sierra.
Mine had the chainstay U brake. It was upgraded through the years with LX drivetrain, XT thumb shifters, and a Trek DDS3 suspension fork.
I rode it all over SoCal and Kauai.

Looked similar to this one when I bought it.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 07-11-23, 07:23 PM
tmnguuyen 

Interesting that they had so many configurations in presumably a short production life span.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 07-11-23, 10:11 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Love my 87 HS, I went through it last December. It is a favorite, rides very smooth.

About a month ago I picked up it's twin,and it is in line for a turn on the repair stand.

87 High Sierra #1

87 High Sierra #2, waiting patiently for a refurbishment.
Old 07-12-23, 08:56 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
I spotted a black chrome High Sierra on FB Marketplace a few days ago...actually the FB algorithm highlighted it, which was a surprise. Not sure of year and no listing of components, though I can see roller-cam brakes, nont on chainstay. Condition looks great except for a kickstand, but it's priced pretty high at $350, and I wouldn't have time for the 3 hr trip to get it for at least a week.

Also, I already have two disassembled mtn bikes in mid-project mode, plus a Cimarron I need to either sell or fix up as a keeper. And my wife's Bridgestone needs some changes to suit her better.

But that black chrome sure is cool...

I don't need it, right? RIGHT?!?

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-12-23 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-12-23, 11:02 AM
tmnguuyen 

Beside the roller cam being a love it or hate it feature of this bike, what do you guys think about the various forks they used over the years, lugged fork, unicrown, unicrown lug? I was thinking about selling my HS but seeing this thread, i'm having second thought..

Last edited by tmnguuyen; 07-13-23 at 11:50 PM.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 07-13-23, 11:44 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Interesting that they had so many configurations in presumably a short production life span.
Late 80s was the first real evolutionary shift from early ATBs and their touring-bike DNA to the “proper” MTBs of the early NORBA era. Lots of changes in form and function.
My 89 Klein MTB probably has more in common with my 74 Bridgestone tourer than my 96 Cannondale XC bike

Cantis and Roller Cams don't use the same studs and placement of the studs IIRC or else I would do that in a heart beat, the only thing you can replace the roller cams with are Dia Compe 990 unless I am mistaken .
Dia Compe 990 is THE u-brake, but it’s not the only one. ( still in production, though). U-brakes are still common in BMX; Dan’s Comp BMX has several kits at a range of prices (and colors). If the RollerCams are in good condition, I’d keep rolling with those, but one advantage to new brakes is that they come with new pads, straddles and hardware, so there’s no faffing about, trying to make 40-year old parts work.