Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycle Industry’s Collapse After Bike Boom Ends This Year, Say Analysts

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycle Industry’s Collapse After Bike Boom Ends This Year, Say Analysts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 10:58 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Like other Boomer-era recreational activities (skiing, tennis, motorcycling, bowling, etc...) cycling is facing a reset as Boomers age out. It was trending in this direction before COVID hit and after the boom runs the risk of continuing in this direction. This Fortune analysis forecasts continued growth though, predicated upon continued growth of ebikes and increased focus on building bike infrastructure to reduce the reliance on GHG emitting car trips.

As I've said elsewhere, we need to welcome the ebike community into our fold because they'll continue to trend upward and draw the attention of public officials. They'll be the driving force behind improved bicycle infrastructure and we spurn them at our own peril

https://www.fortunebusinessinsights....-market-104524
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-16-23, 11:19 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I'm not sure what Shimano's markup is. A 13% loss in volume might hurt a lot more than 40%.

I don't understand the title of this thread. Does the collapse end this year? Or does the boom?
Old 08-16-23, 02:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I'm not sure what Shimano's markup is. A 13% loss in volume might hurt a lot more than 40%.

I don't understand the title of this thread. Does the collapse end this year? Or does the boom?
I am obviously missing something about this statement.

Old 08-16-23, 04:45 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Like other Boomer-era recreational activities (skiing, tennis, motorcycling, bowling, etc...) cycling is facing a reset as Boomers age out. It was trending in this direction before COVID hit and after the boom runs the risk of continuing in this direction.
I was all set to dispute this assertion, and then I looked up this study from 2018:
https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/...tion_Study.pdf
And sure enough, it is true. Among those aged 18-24,, 18% had never ridden a bicycle before. Whereas among those aged 55+, only 11% never rode a bike. It's mindboggling that almost 1 in 5 youths grew up never learning to bicycle.
But nonetheless I don't really think cycling was or is trending down. In a lot of Northern European countries, they are building and adding bicycle infrastructure like crazy. Even China in recent years is adding bike lanes and infrastructure. Here in the US, NYC added a whole lot of bike lanes in the last 2 decades or so. Although the US as a whole is slow to embrace cycling as transportation, I think eventually we will follow suit. So I think there is a future for bicycles.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 08-16-23, 05:19 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Honestly I think the industry as a whole has weathered this pretty well. Both Covid and the e-bike backlash. There's been lots of news of layoffs but Shimano or Trek isn't going bankrupt

The bike industry has spread the e-bike love across nearly every brand. The major brands have nearly all kept their e-bikes looking and riding like bicycles with lightweight pedal-assist systems. This keeps them on the happy side of the popular opinion so they stay out of regulation. It would have been easy for any or all of them to go full 100lb Sur-Ron monsters but they didn't, leaving that a kooky niche. So when that kooky niche will get regulated to follow motorcycle laws, just like what happened to gas mopeds, e-bikes largely will come out ok.

Idly watching Youtube I came across a retrospective on Heely shoes, the ones with a rollerskate wheel in the heel. They launched in 2000 and were a huge hit 2001-2007. They did an IPO. In 2007 they had a market cap of a cool billion 2007 dollars. And after that they just cratered. The fad was over, helped along by a backlash from schools and malls. The brand is worth about 1% of that now. I wonder if the One Wheel guys are watching out for that
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-16-23 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-17-23, 07:01 AM
auggiedawg

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buy a Canyon. Service it at a not S/Trek/Scott dealership.
Old 08-17-23, 07:11 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I was all set to dispute this assertion, and then I looked up this study from 2018:
https://prismic-io.s3.amazonaws.com/...tion_Study.pdf
And sure enough, it is true. Among those aged 18-24,, 18% had never ridden a bicycle before. Whereas among those aged 55+, only 11% never rode a bike. It's mindboggling that almost 1 in 5 youths grew up never learning to bicycle.
But nonetheless I don't really think cycling was or is trending down. In a lot of Northern European countries, they are building and adding bicycle infrastructure like crazy. Even China in recent years is adding bike lanes and infrastructure. Here in the US, NYC added a whole lot of bike lanes in the last 2 decades or so. Although the US as a whole is slow to embrace cycling as transportation, I think eventually we will follow suit. So I think there is a future for bicycles.
The mountain bikers here look to be in their twenties and thirties. Their bikes are high end and their apparel state of the art. Sometime after graduate school, they learned to ride I guess...
Old 08-17-23, 09:34 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I found what happened at VanMoof to be a sad story.
It could still re-open if a buyer is found.
About VanMoof's current situation : Support
Old 08-17-23, 10:41 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I am obviously missing something about this statement.

I think the idea is any loss of volume can hurt more or less depending on the reasons why.

If I lose 40% volume but it’s due to supply shortages and I can charge twice as much per finished product.

Vs.

I lose 14% volume simply because demand isn’t there so I have to lower prices.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-17-23, 10:46 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
So what we need is a World War or another pandemic?
If you want to prop up the C suite of the military industrial complex or big pharma. Otherwise no.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Para..._broken_window
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-19-23, 06:56 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
It's a bit more nuanced than the numbers appear to make it, Yes, cycling as a whole (as are most other outdoor activities) is in decline, however a majority of enthusiat cycling categories are rising or holding steady, additionally there is quite a bit of difference depending on location. And E-bike$....
Old 08-19-23, 08:09 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Idly watching Youtube I came across a retrospective on Heely shoes, the ones with a rollerskate wheel in the heel. They launched in 2000 and were a huge hit 2001-2007. They did an IPO. In 2007 they had a market cap of a cool billion 2007 dollars. And after that they just cratered. The fad was over, helped along by a backlash from schools and malls. The brand is worth about 1% of that now. I wonder if the One Wheel guys are watching out for that
a classic pump and dump model. Somebody cashed out. I agree, don't think that will happen to the bike industry.

I do think the top end of the market is struggling to find out where to go next, as "innovation" if that's what you want to call it has sorta maxed out.

the cost of retail space is another headwind that the industry is facing. Service is impossible to do virtually and the D to C model just does not meet the needs of most consumers.

in spite of the fires and safety concerns I am a big fan of the e-bike, I think it is where the industry needs to go. Anything that gets people out of their cars is a Good Thing in my view.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-19-23, 11:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Were there any bike industry stocks that went up during the short-lived boom we just went through? I don't count Peloton, because they aren't really a bike company. Closest they ever get to the bike industry is parking their service trucks in bike lanes

More in keeping with the subject of this thread, I'm wondering how Wahoo is doing.
Old 08-20-23, 11:36 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
But an e-bike doesn't pedal for you, it is an assist. I think you are conflating electric mopeds and e-bikes which unfortunately some people in the industry do as well. A moped has pedals but a throttle and is probably more likely to be throttled an e-bike does not have a throttle.
Hunch that most folks, other than dedicated cyclists think every e-bike is like a Jump/Lime rental, which you aren't required to pedal even a little, if you don't want to. We were inundated with them just before covid, then they more or less disappeared after Uber dumped the brand, but they're coming back. Outnumbered by e-scooters though.

Biggest segment I observe locally of owned e-bikes are the oversize fat tire models, many outfitted with a boom box. Whee! Guessing they run 60+ pounds out of the box and most seem Class 3. I proceed cautiously around those, assuming they're not passing me from behind.
Old 08-20-23, 01:26 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
In my neck of the woods, e-bikes seem to be the only segment doing well. Everything else is way down.

... I don't see non-motorized bike technology ever appealing to the public again if motorized bikes are available and affordable. Why pedal if a motor will do it for you?

For me, it's batteries and motors and computers and the relatively complicated drivetrain that I can't maintain myself. Batteries that will certainly have to be replaced at some point no matter how much or how little I use it, and with the recent trend of mfr's locking out independent parts and repair, and the probability they'll obsolete it altogether, would require an expert kludge or to get a whole new bike. Batteries that have an unfortunate tendency to set fire to themselves and the building they're housed in. First and ongoing cost. Weight. That I need the exercise anyway. Not going there yet, myself.
Old 08-20-23, 02:10 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Except for the local M.U.P.s most of the e-bikes I am seeing locally are type 2-3 . Lot of the little 2 cycle gas engines too. Local bike paths only allow type 1 e-bikes
Old 08-27-23, 03:17 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
In my neck of the woods, e-bikes seem to be the only segment doing well. Everything else is way down.

I think it's going to be that way from now on. This is the new normal. I don't see non-motorized bike technology ever appealing to the public again if motorized bikes are available and affordable. Why pedal if a motor will do it for you?

I'm OK with all this. I've had my fun. I don't begrudge anyone their e-bike. Eventually we might all get to the point where pedaling isn't an option, but riding a motorized bike is. Nothing wrong with that.
Why would you conclude that e-bikes will just morph into e-motorcycles and everyone will stop pedaling? Motorcycles have been an alternative to a pedal bike for over a hundred years, yet the bicycle hasn't been abandoned in that time.

No, pedal e-bikes will continue to exist, as bicycle path and trail regulations/restrictions will continue. Surrons, Cakes, et all will always be illegal in our recreational areas where hiking and bicycling are allowed & encouraged.

That said, I do indeed hope the electric bicycle and motorcycle boom have enough impact to affect change to our transportation landscape. An electric bike has a much, much, MUCH smaller carbon and transportation footprint than an electric car. In fact, we're quickly going to learn that our roads and highways are going to suffer faster degradation as these even heavier vehicles degrade surfaces even faster. Great, expect our blown-out potholed streets, highways & freeways to get worse, much worse. As I've posted before, "The path to planet gridlock is paved with green intentions!" Nothing more annoying than the arrogant driver in his electric vehicle, patting himself on the back as he adds to the millions of single-occupant vehicles contributing to bumper-to-bumper traffic and urban gridlock. This is why the electric car is NOT the solution. E-bikes could be.

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-28-23 at 06:41 AM.
Likes For LV2TNDM: