Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling class in high school

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycling class in high school

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-23, 02:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I found this out with learning (or attempting to learn) various musical instruments. I just don't have it in me to progress beyond a very basic level. I know some people who can just play by ear effortlessly and it is f@%$#ing annoying!
I feel ya. I worked my ass off to become solidly mediocre (by crappy local rock/blues band standards), and probably could have improved more, but it never came easy.
Old 11-03-23, 07:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I always think it'd be cool to start a cycling club at my daughter's high school. As a parent advisor, I'd break it down into 3 parts. Bicycle safety/handling, bicycle fitness/nutrition and bicycle mechanics/maintenance. It'd be like an after school club (bootcamp) that would focus on discipline, awareness, physical training and skills development. I'd probably have them train on steel 1x gravel bikes for ultimate durability, ease of maintenance and terrain flexibility. I'd even make them hit the gym for strength training and put them on a nutrition regiment. Seriously, I see just how intense my kids' soccer program is and I wish I could see that same kind of focus on bikes!
The idea of a cycling club is brilliant. Like all of the components you suggest.

Old 11-04-23, 05:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I feel ya. I worked my ass off to become solidly mediocre (by crappy local rock/blues band standards), and probably could have improved more, but it never came easy.
I watched a documentary the other day on iconic rock drummers. Watching the likes of Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, John Bonham and Stewart Copeland puts it in perspective. Same with guitarists, singers, pianists etc, etc. My two daughters (11 and 14) are currently learning piano and they don't have any particular talent for it. They are both at grade 3 like most other kids their age. Meanwhile there's a boy in my older daughter's class who is already off the charts and can fluently play piano, guitar, drums and whatever else he picks up effortlessly. The natural talent is just obvious. He played a piano piece recently at a school competition and all the parents were just sat stunned at his ability.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-05-23, 02:28 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...so here's a story. It's a true story, but take it FWIW. When I was on the bike co-op board of directors here, we used to fund various community projects. (We had money then.)

A few kids from the local "alternative" high school (students able to somewhat tailor their own curriculum, if they meet certain basic educational goals...so mostly smart kids who know they want something different), came to us with a plan to install a basic bicycle mechanics shop in one of the empty rooms of the school. They had some sort of faculty advisor guy who would supervise, and the plan was for kids to learn bike mechanics in there, were they interested in it. We spent several thousand dollars buying the tools for a very basic, but solid, repair shop.

It worked for about four months, then the administration of the school shut it down over liability and insurance concerns. They just locked it up, and we never did get the tools back, to use at the bike co-op. It was sad, but I understand the concerns. I hope, at least, that some of the students were able to sneak in there and fix their own bikes after that. I don't really know, I kind of lost interest after that.
Whoever made that call is a sucky human being. Yikes.
Old 11-06-23, 11:29 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Whoever made that call is a sucky human being. Yikes.
...I think he has a hard job. He's sitting in an office, trying to make as many people happy as is required to keep the place open. It's an "alternative" high school, so there are always issues. https://www.metsacramento.org/