Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rode my age today and other milestones....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-23, 03:01 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts

Today got in 63 miles, not a big deal for most serious cyclists, but it is not something I usually do, I prefer shorter faster rides than long ones at lower speeds. It was not really planned, I had gone on a short quick group ride in the AM, starting off with some friends and reeled of 23 miles at comfortable 20mph average. I had to ride home to talk to the wife, ate a banana and some toast, then went back out and rode another 40 with my speed surely falling as the miles went by. So it was an over 200-mile week, did the age thing, and also now have over 300 miles on my Frankenstein '73 Paramount P13 since I repaired it's cracked frame, it was a good day.

Old 10-27-23, 05:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-28-23, 02:22 AM
88ss

Originally Posted by datlas
Thanks, but of course it is not my actual birthday, just a day I happen to ride further than usual.....
Old 10-28-23, 06:48 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
After a certain age, I stopped riding one "mile" per year. I converted to "minutes."
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 10-28-23, 09:36 AM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
Today got in 63 miles, not a big deal for most serious cyclists, but it is not something I usually do, I prefer shorter faster rides than long ones at lower speeds. It was not really planned, I had gone on a short quick group ride in the AM, starting off with some friends and reeled of 23 miles at comfortable 20mph average. I had to ride home to talk to the wife, ate a banana and some toast, then went back out and rode another 40 with my speed surely falling as the miles went by. So it was an over 200-mile week, did the age thing, and also now have over 300 miles on my Frankenstein '73 Paramount P13 since I repaired it's cracked frame, it was a good day.

What a great idea! I'm 10 years younger so I'd get a break! My last 36 miles ride was a record for me. I don't make it easier riding a 80's Hi-ten Ten speed. How do you like the Paramount? Im tempted to get one locally that looks just like yours but he wants $400 or so for it.
Old 10-28-23, 01:48 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
What a great idea! I'm 10 years younger so I'd get a break! My last 36 miles ride was a record for me. I don't make it easier riding a 80's Hi-ten Ten speed. How do you like the Paramount? Im tempted to get one locally that looks just like yours but he wants $400 or so for it.
Yea, I always thought the ride your age thing was kind of idiotic and backwards because it makes the old guys ride the furthest and the young guys ride the least. Sorry I am not familiar with what a "Hi-Ten" is, when I get time I will look it up. Paramount values can vary a lot depending on what year the bike was made and what model it is, touring, track or road-racer.
This old Paramount is a great bike, but in reality there is zero practical reason to choose a Paramount over any other road bike with a butted steel frame unless you come across one dirt-cheap. I have ridden the Schwinn road bikes from the mid to late 80s that were sold with Columbus tube frames and they ride better and are lighter. If I had not got this cracked frame for $25, I would not have it and probably never own an old Paramount unless I ran across another one for next to nothing. If you want an old road-bike with a light steel butted frame, then just buy anyone you can find for little to no money, something that has not been latched onto by the wealthy and hipsters as an investment or jewelry.
Old 10-29-23, 09:37 AM
RoadWearier

Yea, I always thought the ride your age thing was kind of idiotic and backwards because it makes the old guys ride the furthest and the young guys ride the least. Sorry I am not familiar with what a "Hi-Ten" is, when I get time I will look it up. Paramount values can vary a lot depending on what year the bike was made and what model it is, touring, track or road-racer.
This old Paramount is a great bike, but in reality there is zero practical reason to choose a Paramount over any other road bike with a butted steel frame unless you come across one dirt-cheap. I have ridden the Schwinn road bikes from the mid to late 80s that were sold with Columbus tube frames and they ride better and are lighter. If I had not got this cracked frame for $25, I would not have it and probably never own an old Paramount unless I ran across another one for next to nothing. If you want an old road-bike with a light steel butted frame, then just buy anyone you can find for little to no money, something that has not been latched onto by the wealthy and hipsters as an investment or jewelry.
Is $400 dirt cheap? I'm thinking "no."
Old 10-29-23, 10:57 AM
88ss

Is $400 dirt cheap? I'm thinking "no."
Go back and read the part where I said value can vary depending on what year and model it is, then understand that I have no information about the bike you are looking at and if I did it would still be your job to research it's market value not mine.
Old 10-29-23, 11:44 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Sorry I am not familiar with what a "Hi-Ten" is, when I get time I will look it up.
High tensile steel. It was considered an upgrade over cheap, plain steel, but still inferior to a quality chrome-molybdenum alloy.
Old 10-29-23, 12:04 PM
RoadWearier

Go back and read the part where I said value can vary depending on what year and model it is, then understand that I have no information about the bike you are looking at and if I did it would still be your job to research it's market value not mine.
I think you were reading sarcasm in my post where there was none. No need to be defensive. Thanks for your info.
Old 10-30-23, 01:08 AM
88ss

I think you were reading sarcasm in my post where there was none. No need to be defensive. Thanks for your info.
Key word here is "I think". Realize that your thinking exists no place outside your head, it is not here or anywhere else. When you "think" it does exist somewhere else that is called an assumption. Just like believing that I could know the value of a bicycle that you are looking at is farcical, so that is three assumptions on your part that have nothing to do with me. I am not defensive, sarcastic and I can not calculate the value of a bicycle I have not seen and know nothing about so why ask me? It makes zero sense. You can see the bike, you have access to the same internet and information as anyone else, so you answer your question nobody else can unless you actually provide them with the information about the bike you have. Make sense? Good luck......
Old 10-30-23, 03:31 AM
RoadWearier

You could have saved time and not responded. I read none of that. Again no need to be defensive. Good luck with life.
Old 10-30-23, 07:23 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Is "good luck" the new "bless you heart"?

Old 10-30-23, 10:46 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Is "good luck" the new "bless you heart"?
Bless your good luck, terrymorse.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 10-30-23, 12:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts

Old 10-30-23, 09:17 PM
88ss

Other milestones for this year. Was able to cruise for miles above 21mph for the first time in many years, also for first time in lifetime rode the largest percentage of my road miles on a single-speed. First year for riding a Reynolds 531 frame, first year of having a fixie to ride, first year of riding a bike with aero-bars, first year riding a carbon-fiber framed bike, wow what a year .......
Old 10-30-23, 09:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I rode way over my age a few weeks back. Will I experience early onset aging? Can it be undone by riding short segments? Think I am screwed.

Old 10-31-23, 06:24 PM
88ss

That word "Rode" looks funny to me.