Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What to look for as a newbie

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-23, 01:29 PM
956user

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey good people, I watch videos and scour the internet all day pretty much but I'm still having a little trouble learning in this new hobby. Can someone please explain bike brands as football teams lol. I feel like I learn best by being able to compare things and usually I have a good friend that's already in the hobby when I start a new one but unfortunately don't know anyone into cycling at the moment.
Old 11-15-23, 02:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Most any brand you find in a local bike shop will be a good brand. Trek, Specialized and Cannondale are popular in my area, but there are quite a few others that might be popular for your area. Scott is what I'd consider my dream bike. But I've never had or ridden a Scott bicycle.

You really need to just decide on what type of riding you wish to do the most of. Buy a bike for that use. Don't buy for the things you might do once or twice a blue moon. If you don't have to have the most expensive bike, then you can own more than one type of bike for different riding styles.
Old 11-15-23, 02:17 PM
956user

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome feedback! I picked up a trek dual sport 1 off marketplace, I think its the model before the most latest one that is coming out. I've mainly just been riding the light trails around my apartment here in ATX. Still too nervous to ride on roads. 100% agree on not getting the most expensive bike in order to get other bikes for different things.

Also learning you can make any entry level bike look nice by upgrading parts. Any advice on where to start?
Old 11-15-23, 02:24 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by 956user
Also learning you can make any entry level bike look nice by upgrading parts. Any advice on where to start?
I did a google search for 'entry level bike look nice by upgrading parts" and got back many hits, a lot of videos too.

Would you like me to copy and paste that information here if you are not able to search?

Do let me know if you need help searching google.
Old 11-15-23, 02:31 PM
956user

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feel free to link the video you find most helpful, thanks!
Old 11-15-23, 02:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Tell your credit card company to max out your account limit !. Just kidding, but there are thousands of bikes out there of many types, mountain bikes, mountain downhill bikes, hybrids, gravel bikes, carbon road racing type bikes, touring bikes, bikepacking bikes. From dozens of manufacturers. Some are the biggies like Specialized, Trek and Cannondale, then many, many others too numerous to name. Lots of good stuff out there, some of it is very expensive.
Old 11-15-23, 03:32 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
read the posts on this forum to learn stuff...
Old 11-15-23, 03:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If everyone read and searched for the answers, there'd be no reason for BF to exist. This is a social site for people interested in cycling to engage in conversation. Shouldn't matter if the answer can be found elsewhere by other methods or even if it's already been covered by conversations on BF.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-15-23, 03:43 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I did a google search for 'entry level bike look nice by upgrading parts" and got back many hits, a lot of videos too.

Would you like me to copy and paste that information here if you are not able to search?

Do let me know if you need help searching google.
what a helpful comment
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-15-23, 03:45 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
OP I think all the bike brands are essentially the same nowadays. The bikes are mostly made in Taiwan in the same factories. Back in the day when they were handmade the brand probably mattered more. Trek, specialized, giant, etc it’s all the same stuff
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-15-23, 04:44 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
OP I think all the bike brands are essentially the same nowadays. The bikes are mostly made in Taiwan in the same factories. Back in the day when they were handmade the brand probably mattered more. Trek, specialized, giant, etc it’s all the same stuff
Pretty much. You are better off knowing the group set you want, style of bike and specifics rather than just name on the frame.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 11-15-23, 05:21 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
It's cheaper to buy a used good quality bike than buy a entry level and load up parts cannon. I guess you'll learn to wrench while upgrading, but I'd rather learn servicing my already "upgraded" bike. Chances are you won't tell the difference anyway being a novice.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 11-15-23, 06:13 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
All good comments, what ever bike you choose will educate you as to what bike you want, that bike, in turn will make you want something else. But don't worry, bikes are very accepting or their riders infidelity.
As to your requested analogy, Giants are better than The Giants, these days.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 11-15-23, 06:31 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Awesome feedback! I picked up a trek dual sport 1 off marketplace, I think its the model before the most latest one that is coming out. I've mainly just been riding the light trails around my apartment here in ATX. Still too nervous to ride on roads. 100% agree on not getting the most expensive bike in order to get other bikes for different things.

As others have said above this site is a great place for info. One pro tip is to use google for your searches but include bikeforums.net.
Try google searching "Trek dual sport bikeforums.net" or pick a part you want to replace "what is your favorite Saddle? bikeforums.net" this will bring you to lots of threads with great info. Another great place to start is threads like "Show us your vintage mountain bikes" which has hundreds of pages of bikes people are showing off, many of which have been upgraded or customized. Take some time and explore. Welcome to the forum
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 11-15-23, 06:38 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
All good comments, what ever bike you choose will educate you as to what bike you want, that bike, in turn will make you want something else. But don't worry, bikes are very accepting or their riders infidelity.
As to your requested analogy, Giants are better than The Giants, these days.
I see see what you did there and sadly it is true, I would call the Giants a Huffy, but I wouldn't want to offend @AdventureManCO maybe they are a Huffente, since they do have some good parts
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 11-15-23, 06:52 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts

A Trek Dual Sport is a hybrid with a suspension fork, yes? I wouldn't spend a bunch trying to upgrade it unless something is worn out or there is something you don't like about it.
For now you could just ride it and have fun while learning and building a base. If you stick with it you might decide you want a road bike or gravel bike or mtb.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-15-23, 08:25 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
... I picked up a trek dual sport 1 off marketplace,..
You have a bike (good for you!), so ride that. After a few months, or a year or so, you'll have a better idea of what you really would like to ride. When I started riding six years ago, I bought something that looked good at a LBS, and it was a good bike, but over time I realized I wanted something different. I now have a couple of bikes that I really like, but my "starter bike" was a good investment in that it enabled me to understand more what I want in a bike. So enjoy your Trek and don't be surprised if you want something different after riding for a while.
Likes For Random11:
Old 11-15-23, 11:14 PM
956user

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
read the posts on this forum to learn stuff...
what if i want to have convos with people and not just go searching for stuff? keep sh*t to yourself if you gotta be negative d.a.
Likes For 956user:
Old 11-15-23, 11:15 PM
956user

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If everyone read and searched for the answers, there'd be no reason for BF to exist. This is a social site for people interested in cycling to engage in conversation. Shouldn't matter if the answer can be found elsewhere by other methods or even if it's already been covered by conversations on BF.
EXACTLY. Thank you!
Old 11-16-23, 12:15 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
I see see what you did there and sadly it is true, I would call the Giants a Huffy, but I wouldn't want to offend @AdventureManCO maybe they are a Huffente, since they do have some good parts

OUCH. Just kidding

I don't know what being offended means. Which is why I can start Huffy threads. It's like a super power!

956user welcome! Have lots of fun w/ your new bike and ride it every chance you get!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 11-16-23, 02:15 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Can someone please explain bike brands as football teams lol. I feel like I learn best by being able to compare things and usually.
I don't think this analogy would be helpful as teams get better or worse depending on the time of day LOL. Most brands (excluding box store bikes) will have a low end through high end versions of their bicycles with minor differences between them. The Dual Sport you mentioned will give you lots of enjoyable riding and years of service as long as maintenance is kept up and the bike is not abused. I would suggest learning to do repairs and such yourself and investing in some tools to do so. Also, be prepared for the grumps on this site which like to police posts. I am opinionated as the next guy when it comes to some of my classic bikes and their parts but I also remember what it was like learning BEFORE the internet. Ask questions, it will save expensive mistakes.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 11-16-23, 10:26 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
D2C manufacturers really should just talk about their bikes in 30 seconds on tiktok and let people swipe.

Because doing actual legwork with google and bf and having to actually read, is just way too exhausting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tiktok.jpg (160.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-17-23, 09:09 AM
956user

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I don't think this analogy would be helpful as teams get better or worse depending on the time of day LOL. Most brands (excluding box store bikes) will have a low end through high end versions of their bicycles with minor differences between them. The Dual Sport you mentioned will give you lots of enjoyable riding and years of service as long as maintenance is kept up and the bike is not abused. I would suggest learning to do repairs and such yourself and investing in some tools to do so. Also, be prepared for the grumps on this site which like to police posts. I am opinionated as the next guy when it comes to some of my classic bikes and their parts but I also remember what it was like learning BEFORE the internet. Ask questions, it will save expensive mistakes.
Appreciate the feedback!
Old 11-17-23, 09:12 AM
956user

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
You have a bike (good for you!), so ride that. After a few months, or a year or so, you'll have a better idea of what you really would like to ride. When I started riding six years ago, I bought something that looked good at a LBS, and it was a good bike, but over time I realized I wanted something different. I now have a couple of bikes that I really like, but my "starter bike" was a good investment in that it enabled me to understand more what I want in a bike. So enjoy your Trek and don't be surprised if you want something different after riding for a while.
Thanks for the feedback and time! I for sure feel like I'm going down that path already. Would love to get a fixed gear to mess with every now and then.
Old 11-17-23, 09:13 AM
956user

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
As others have said above this site is a great place for info. One pro tip is to use google for your searches but include bikeforums.net.
Try google searching "Trek dual sport bikeforums.net" or pick a part you want to replace "what is your favorite Saddle? bikeforums.net" this will bring you to lots of threads with great info. Another great place to start is threads like "Show us your vintage mountain bikes" which has hundreds of pages of bikes people are showing off, many of which have been upgraded or customized. Take some time and explore. Welcome to the forum
This was actually extremely helpful, thank you!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.