Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone here who is 5'10.5 and rides a 60cm?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone here who is 5'10.5 and rides a 60cm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 11:51 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm 5'11 1/2" (down from 6' 1/2" due to age) and very long limbed, basically a monkey. I raced a traditional 59 cm.
I'm 6'1" and ride a 59cm C-C when I get a custom frame. I've ridden 23" and 58cm.
I once ordered a super nice 24" (60cm) Raleigh Pro in mink blue and it just a bit too big.
I never got used to it and sold it off.

Under 6' on a 60cm is going to be wrong for 99% of the population of planet earth, but maybe OP is just that special.
Old 09-01-15, 02:34 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
BEn[/QUOTE] I'm 5'11 1/2" (down from 6' 1/2" due to age) and very long limbed, basically a monkey.

Too funny as that is me exactly. I've ridden a 56 Madone for the last 9 years. I had to add a riser due to neck issues. This brought my bars a little too close, and my seat was way high. I've always felt a bit squished. After a summer of trying out all of the new endurance bikes, I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Robaiux 58 cm. Endurance geometry is a bit different and I'm hoping I'll be happy with it. BTW, ordering the 2016 model I wanted saved $400 plus over the same 2015, go figure.
Old 09-01-15, 02:40 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm an inch taller than you and I can't think of a mfr sizing range where I would need to go up to a 58, let alone a 60! Generally, I would take, whatever size has a 56-57cm(max) top tube, which is usually called a 56, M/L, Lg etc.
Old 09-01-15, 02:51 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,158 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by bananabacon
Didn't put to much think in if the handlebars on a 60cm would be to far.
too

adverb \ˈtό\
: in addition
: more than what is wanted, needed, acceptable, possible, etc.
: to a high degree or extent : very or extremely

Full Definition of TOO
1: besides, also <sell the house and furniture too>

2 a: to an excessive degree:excessively <too large a house for us>
b: to such a degree as to be regrettable <this time he has gone too far>
c: very <didn't seem too interested>

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 09-01-15, 04:10 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it yet but your main problem here is going to be the top tube length and not seat tube length. Going for a bigger frame means the top tube is going to be longer. Going from a high stack height on your existing frame (which brings the handlebars closer to you due to the head tube angle) to a slammed stem on a 60cm frame and that means you are putting the handlebars even further away from you. Ask yourself if you can ride your bike with the handlebars 2" further away from you?

BTW 6' tall and rides a Giant TCR with an effective top tube length of 55.5cm (they don't specify the effective seat tube length). The biggest bike I've ridden is a 58cm though and I've ridden 56cm as well.
This. You want to size a bike based on top-tube length and head-tube height (look up "stack and reach"). Then run whatever length seat post you need. It sounds like you have long legs, which means a comparatively short torso. You might actually find a size smaller (54) provides a better fit. It would move the bars in allowing your arms to reach down more than forward, and moving your center of gravity back on the saddle. Just something to think about. You might even want to consider something like a Retul fitting and then buying the bike to match the fit.
Old 09-01-15, 04:22 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Don't feed the troll!
Old 09-01-15, 04:52 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
If you are certain you want to reduce the number of spacers then try looking for a frame with a longer head tube (someone mentioned this earlier). Trek bikes have H2 and H1 geometry frames. The H2 frames provide a longer head tube which might help you get the look you want. Also with Specialized bikes, The Roubaix frames have a head tube that is 2cm longer than their Allez frames (at least in the 54 and 56cm sizes).

Lots of manufacturers make "endurance" bikes which have a more upright riding position (ie a longer head tube) than you find on a racing frame and I think these may be worth exploring in your case. I'd take a tape measure to your existing head tube/spacer/stem setup and then start looking up the geometry of some frames to find one that you gets you close to those numbers.
Old 09-01-15, 05:38 PM
bananabacon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the frames that were 60cm in question have been sold.
The OP who mentioned me going down to a 54cm made complete sense.
It was also odd to hear that the 58cm may be a sweet spot.
What I gathered was 60cm is enough to get veterans in a tizzy to troll
Got from that is as a new comer people will stand by veterans.

What I care about
The information made my head spin and want to read a bike book and watch youtube guides.
uhh... isn't that what counts when a newb asks for help? to get them to think? maybe not try to bruise an ego?
idk what ever.
Old 09-01-15, 06:11 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Don't feed the troll!
There seems to be a lot of this going on lately.
Old 09-01-15, 06:50 PM
mawashi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Don't feed the troll!
Originally Posted by StanSeven
There seems to be a lot of this going on lately.
Exactly, if bannaboy wants a nutcracker and goes bonkers when anyone mentions otherwise, I say why bother...
Old 09-01-15, 06:54 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bassjones
I'm 6'4" and ride a 60. I don't see any conceivable way that bike wouldn't be too big for you
Me too and I had a pro fit that confirmed it.
Old 09-01-15, 07:00 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well the frames that were 60cm in question have been sold.
The OP who mentioned me going down to a 54cm made complete sense.
It was also odd to hear that the 58cm may be a sweet spot.
What I gathered was 60cm is enough to get veterans in a tizzy to troll
Got from that is as a new comer people will stand by veterans.

What I care about
The information made my head spin and want to read a bike book and watch youtube guides.
uhh... isn't that what counts when a newb asks for help? to get them to think? maybe not try to bruise an ego?
idk what ever.
No, what you should have learned from the responses is that a 60 cm frame is too large for someone of your height. I am 6'-4' and ride a 60 cm Trek and a 59 cm Lemond.

You also need to work on your grammar as your posts are borderline incomprehensible. If this is too negative for you then I apologize.
Old 09-01-15, 07:08 PM
68venable

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 6'2" and my Cannondale is a 63cm.
Old 09-02-15, 12:09 AM
puddinlegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Banana-man... For fun, plug your measurements into the competitive cyclist fit calculator:

Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist

its not definitive, but should give you a better idea of why it's highly unlikely that you should be riding a 60cm frame.
Old 09-02-15, 04:10 AM
bananabacon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Figured that 60cm was to big for me from the first post. Didn't like the condicending delivery as it seems routine for me...

Also there wasn't enough explanation as to why 60cm was to big for me other then "dude are you stupid! I'm way smarter then you"

The grammar is the fault of a bad cell phone. Really bad cell phone. I feel that id be compensating when I say that most if not all my English teachers passed me with A's for being an amazing writer. But the grammar part is consistent unfortunately.

If you want to make a 20 question terminology test for me to speak in universal bike language go ahead ;-)

Oh and yes. I sometimes would enjoy explanations as to why something's are bad choices. Even if the answer is way over my head. Which I believe only 31% of the posters could do.
Old 09-02-15, 05:23 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Ahhh, the "I knew that was a dumb question when I asked it" backdown.
Well, you had us all fooled.
Old 09-02-15, 05:34 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
People today ride smaller frames for their dimensions than they used to. I think it's mostly a fashion thing, but they say the smaller frame is relatively stiffer, which in some instances is true, but one could argue - so what? Back in the day there was a thing called a "French fit" - look it up here on BF - that was the choice for many that toured and/or rode long distances. I'm 6 ft even and I buy ~60cm c-to-c BB to top tube frames, but they can vary a lot in terms of other dimensions and I just customize the stems, posts, and set-ups to be comfortable. If you are happy with what you have, why change anything?
Old 09-02-15, 05:44 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
The real issue is do you like the way a huge bike handles and feels? if anything most people go with a smaller size when they are torn that way. Smaller feels more responsive and quicker, even when it's not.
Old 09-02-15, 10:05 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Dear goodness! I'm 5'10" and ride a 54! (And I've encountered at least one 54 which had a long top tube, which made even it too big for me!)
Old 09-02-15, 10:13 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Figured that 60cm was to big for me from the first post. Didn't like the condicending delivery as it seems routine for me...
I doubt it. Condescending delivery? Not mine. You're all about generalizations.
Old 09-02-15, 10:17 AM
mawashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
I doubt it. Condescending delivery? Not mine. You're all about generalizations.
OP is all about I want I want it now, nobody owes him an "explanation"...
If he wants things his way, why bother I say.

Last edited by mawashi; 09-02-15 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 11:48 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Also there wasn't enough explanation as to why 60cm was to big for me other then "dude are you stupid! I'm way smarter then you"

The grammar is the fault of a bad cell phone. Really bad cell phone. I feel that id be compensating when I say that most if not all my English teachers passed me with A's for being an amazing writer. But the grammar part is consistent unfortunately.

If you want to make a 20 question terminology test for me to speak in universal bike language go ahead ;-)

Oh and yes. I sometimes would enjoy explanations as to why something's are bad choices. Even if the answer is way over my head. Which I believe only 31% of the posters could do.
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...e-you-buy.html

I took a bit of time and wrote a pretty lengthy post on a simple method of choosing the proper bike size.

It also explains how to fit it once you have it.
Old 09-02-15, 01:30 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I haven't properly measured my inseam yet, as I remember a rough inseam measurement told me 56cm to 58cm...
I hope that you view this as a positive response.

It is never about inseam when these particular type of discussions take place. The extension of the seat post between these two or three sizes can always accommodate you.

It is about the effective top tube length (depending on the frame type and geometry) plus the stem reach. The horizontal top tube c-to-c length plus the stem reach in the horizontal plane. Those are the measurements that govern whether the frame that you are considering will be a better fit, or not.

To a lesser degree, the frame type, such as endurance, will affect the head tube height and the handlebar height. The *stacks* to which you referred were 1 cm spacers on the steerer tube?

I'm 6' 1" with a longer torso. I require a top tube plus reach of about 680 mm +/- for comfort. + for a higher handlebar set (shorter drop), and - for a lower handlebar (greater drop). We're talking 58 cm frame with 110mm stem. plus or minus.

Should you be two centimeters shorter than me on the horizontal? Maybe, maybe a bit more?

How flexible are you?
Old 09-02-15, 03:29 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
for reference, I'm 5'10.75" and ride a 58cm Trek from 13 yrs ago. It may be a touch large for me, but I find it very comfortable at this point. I am, however, looking at 56's in Cannondale.

Much like different clothing lines, different bike manufacturers tend to 'run a little large' or 'run a little small' in various ways.

At the end of the day, however, we're talking about centimeters here. Being on a bike one size too big or one size too small is not going to kill you. You can make up the differences in adjustments like shorter/longer stems, handlebars with less of a drop, etc.

Ideally, you'd have your perfect sized bike, though, which is probably a 54 or a 56 or a 58, depending on the geometry of the bike and your body. If you want the perfectly sized bike for you, you're going to have to work with someone in person who can help you assess it. Otherwise, do what I did and buy one that seems pretty close and work with it for a couple of years. Along the way I have figured out that I need a very slightly smaller frame on my next bike. In the mean time, I'm having fun riding this one.

To answer your original question, yes, the 60 is almost certainly too big for you -- unless your body proportions are pretty unusual.
Old 09-02-15, 04:49 PM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To my eye, the old handful of seat post minimum rule, still applies and gets you ballpark. If its a modern frame with a sloping top tube, 1.5 to 2 handfuls minimum is probably more appropriate. You may want a smaller frame than this depending on top tube length, but never bigger. A slammed seat is a bike that's too big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.