Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 09:18 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
New Tires

I have been running Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (700X35 F & 700X40 R) on my Crosstrail for quite a few years, and really like them. I am extremely happy with these tires!

I am now considering replacements. My riding is almost all on pavement, never in snow. 190# rider, plus whatever I can load on the bike. I sometimes attach grocery panniers, or other bags, or tail trunks, and load them up. While a little of my biking is for shopping, most is recreational. Weather permitting, I try to do 20-40 miles per day, almost every day. Like I said, I no longer do ice or snow!

Should I continue with them, or try something different? As much as I like them, I am always looking to improve if possible. Is there something out there that is better?

What, different, is out there that might be recommended. The Supremes are very sure footed in everything except snow or ice, roll nice, very dependable and tough, and look good doing it. I like that they have a max pressure of 85# recommended. I don't want anything much lower in pressure, higher is fine. I want puncture resistance, as the Supremes are wonderful in this regard..

I run my Supremes at 92 PSI, because that is where they roll the best, for me.

Any recommendations?
Old 05-22-20, 09:25 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
https://www.modernbike.com/schwalbe-...-tire-26-x-2.0

Same thing but winter studs

https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Land...-13&th=1&psc=1

These are better grip and roll well and much cheaper, but probably won't last the same as the more expensive marathons
Old 05-22-20, 12:50 PM
asmack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Almotions

I got some Schwalbe Marathon Almotions about two years ago and they are the best tires I've ever had. Worth every penny. They are 'tubeless ready' and I've gone that way but should be just as good with tubes. Very highly rated in objective tests run at bicyclerollingresistance (dot) com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-marathon-almotion-2016

Sorry, I can't post links yet so will leave it to you...

Old 05-22-20, 01:20 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 759 Posts
Let's see, happy with tires, been using them for years, extremely happy with the tires...

My calculations say, buy another set of the same tires.
Likes For phughes: