Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Foot Pain

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 07:28 AM
theHomelessJedi

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Allez Sport w/ Shimano Sora Comp.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foot Pain

I've been experiencing some sharp foot pains the morning after rides. Particularly after rides where I do a lot of sprinting. The pain is around the outside arch of the right foot, behind the little toe mound, around what I assume is the 5th metatarsal bone. I've had some issues in the past with my plantar fascia getting inflamed from running.

I have very high rigid arches according to my doctor, so I had to wear specific shoes that offered enough support when I used to run more. I am curious if this need translates over to cycling footwear as well, as a few friends have told me about using the same insoles/orthotics in their cycling shoes.

I should also point out that the shoes I wear are actually a little too large for me. (Bontrager Velocis) I was fitting them like I would for regular running shoes (the shop people weren't much help where I got them). But that caused me to push my speedplay zero cleats as far back as I could to get them under the ball of my foot.

Anyone else have any experience with this? The pain isn't excruciating, but it would influence how often I ride. I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if I need to look into better fitting shoes/insoles.
Old 08-03-17, 04:11 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should consider looking for a bike fitter or Orthotic person who specializes in custom made bicycle shoe orthotics. I had similar problems with my left foot little toe. I tried Sidi and Shimano shoes (heat molded) along with Aline and Body Geometry insoles. Nothing worked for me until I had some insoles custom made 3 weeks ago that corrected an arch problem with my left foot. I have ridden over 200 miles since and for the first time in 3 years I didn't have pain in my left foot. The custom insole cost $250 and the place I used was.

https://www.cyclesoles.com/