Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 07:22 PM
Wisco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Same color as mine? You have pics?
Unfortunately my camera died on me today (I almost threw the darn thing against the wall), but yeah, pics soon. One is red (a "Grand Teton" I believe) and the other is green. Same big hubs and bull-moose bars on both. (I've kinda resisted posting in this thread, because I do this for a living and haul in an average of five or ten bikes a day...bragging about my finds--not that most of them are worthy--would eat my time.)
Old 06-07-10, 04:40 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by 60bass
On my way home today I saw a guy rolling an old bike out to the street with a sign on it that said "FREE" in big letters. After snapping my neck to get a better look, all I could tell was that it was some kind of road bike. Did a fast U-turn and after asking if it was indeed free I grabbed it. Hey, the word free and any type of bike and I'm there.

Turned out to be an old Sekai 2400 series road bike. S/N Y6A1125

Looks like somebody converted it to flat bars by chopping up the stock drops. Stem has been changed to offer a more upright ride. The components are all over the place so I'm not sure what's stock or not, maybe somebody can help me out.

Frame is TANGE Infinity CR-MO with decent lug work. not sure on the fork. Crank is a Sugino GT 48/40.

FD is an Exage 300LX attached to a Suntour Power Control thumbie and my guess is that this set up isn't stock. Also it looks way too high on the frame. I thought the exage line was usually found on mountain bikes.

The RD is a Suntour Cyclone 7000 attached to a Suntour Accushift thumbie 7 speed with switchable friction/index modes, set on friction right now. From poking around the web, I see that the Cyclone 7000 can do index so I'm wondering why it's set for friction. According to info over at DISRAELI GEARS site the Cyclone 7000 dates in 87 and was somewhat dodgy as far as index shifting goes so maybe it doesn't like index with the 6 speed cluster on the bike right now.

The rear cluster is a sixer but I don't know yet what brand or if it's a FH or FW. Probably try to have a look tomorrow. Possibly the shifters are stock to the bike and were just moved up on to the bars from the stem (see pics).

Brakes are Shimano 105's front and rear with mountain style levers up on the bar. Rims are UKAI alum 27's with Sunshine hubs.

The bike's in decent overall shape but needs cleaned and serviced and I can do that myself.

Not sure on year or value but the idea of keeping it flat bar with a decent set of real bars or possibly a set of moustache bars sounds interesting. What do you think?
I think the previous owner had some good ideas, regardless of execution ore ultimate function. Work with the bike the way it is and get some plain old bars like an English, re-place the brakes and shifters (they were thinking like indexed shifting or something and it's interesting--does it work well?)

Sekais just wanna have fun?
Old 06-07-10, 05:59 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Do I see leather/crochet Airius gloves? I LOVE mine. The ONLY pair of gloves that has lasted me more than three months. In fact they're almost a year old now, and they have a great old school patina look. The leather bleeds into the mesh backs whenever they get wet, but it doesn't bother me at all.,,,,,BD
Old 06-07-10, 07:15 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Do I see leather/crochet Airius gloves? I LOVE mine. The ONLY pair of gloves that has lasted me more than three months. In fact they're almost a year old now, and they have a great old school patina look. The leather bleeds into the mesh backs whenever they get wet, but it doesn't bother me at all.,,,,,BD
Picked them up on a trip to Portland last October... they seem to be doing the job quite well.
Old 06-07-10, 09:19 AM
pdid1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first post to this site.

I just sold my '84 Lotus Eclair that was too big for me for $120 to a coworker. The same weekend I found excellent condition 94 Trek 370 that was perfect size for me on Craigslist for $60 The best $60 Ive ever spent. I had to register to gloat. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
Old 06-07-10, 09:48 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
I also have an 18-speed S-12-S (S-18-S, right?), and I put about 40 to 50 miles on it today. Rides nicely.
Just when I was thinking of selling my powder blue S10-S, I threw on a Ukai tubular wheel set from my older Newest .. selling is now totally out of the question. What an amazing ride ...

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 06-07-10, 10:24 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Just what I needed, another project. Picked up this 1997 Cannondale R500, in a really desirable size (48cm). The bar tape is gross: red and black on a purple bike, WTF?? Just needs the basics, a couple of cables, new bar tape, matching tires, and general cleanup.

thrifty bill

Old 06-07-10, 10:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by pdid1

I just sold my '84 Lotus Eclair that was too big for me for $120 to a coworker. The same weekend I found excellent condition 94 Trek 370 that was perfect size for me on Craigslist for $60 The best $60 Ive ever spent. I had to register to gloat. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
Sure. Post 'em up.

Old 06-07-10, 10:52 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Picked them up on a trip to Portland last October... they seem to be doing the job quite well.
I have a pair too, picked them up on Amazon for a steal. Pretty decent gloves overall, I love the venting of the woven top.
Old 06-07-10, 03:03 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look like my 25+ year old Spenco's if it had the red and blue stripes.
Old 06-07-10, 03:13 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cog_nate
Gitane Tour de France. (From the 70s -- anyone got an idea what year?) Kind of an odd duck -- Campagnolo crankset and brakes (and gear cluster maybe, didn't look at that yet), Huret derailleurs, SunTour shifters, and a Brooks Professional saddle. Needs a little work -- new wheels & tires (they're sewups), replace bar tape, rear derailleur needs adjustment -- but it was only $50. The guy had listed it to give away, but it wound up that I knew him from way back so I felt I should give him at least a little beer money.

Too bad it needs bar tape, huh?
That Tdf would otherwise have been a pretty good deal with the Campy and the Brooks Pro, etc.
($50 ? - OMG - Lovely bike! )
Old 06-07-10, 06:04 PM
Bikedued

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by pdid1

Welcome to bikeforums, and C&V..! Yep, we're interested.,,,,BD
Old 06-07-10, 06:20 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike

Okay, so sue me for being excited. The heat stroke would probably do that to you too!
Sweeeeeeet!
Old 06-08-10, 07:17 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Seems like the week for Cannondales. Picked up another one. A 1992 Cannondale C600. All Shimano 105. Its dirtier than the picture shows, needs the regular cables, housings, tires, bearings, wheels trued, bar tape. Debating whether to upgrade with a set of brifters.

Interesting color: "jet black with purple fizz". White cable housing looks awful on this bike. Bike originally came with black, which is what will go back on there. Deal came with a really nice high end floor pump.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-08-10 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 07:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
What brifters might you use? They're all SO expensive!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-08-10, 09:25 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Seems like the week for Cannondales. Picked up another one. A 1992 Cannondale C600. All Shimano 105. Its dirtier than the picture shows, needs the regular cables, housings, tires, bearings, wheels trued, bar tape. Debating whether to upgrade with a set of brifters.

Interesting color: "jet black with purple fizz". White cable housing looks awful on this bike. Bike originally came with black, which is what will go back on there. Deal came with a really nice high end floor pump.

Man oh man I think I am In , what size frame Bill.
Glenn
Old 06-08-10, 05:24 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1988 Miyata Path Runner MTB.

Super large (perhaps too large for me, I'm 6'1" and this is all up in my bidness), but with a reputable name and good components, definitely worth the $25 I pitched for it. After purchasing I noticed there IS a dent in the TT, but I think it won't inhibit the bike's performance for general around-town riding - certainly safer than a slightly bent fork.

Biopace crankset in great condition, SIS shifting (which I'll need to figure out how to service). I think that's pretty much all I have to say at this point.

Oh, and this was awesome:

Easily the MOST completely and utterly destroyed bearings race I've ever seen. Hopefully no more frightening surprises with this one...
Old 06-08-10, 07:15 PM
thatguy
hehe... member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grabbed this little guy at a local swap meet over the weekend. $100. 1985 Trek 620 Touring. Yum!

Old 06-08-10, 07:55 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by thatguy
Grabbed this little guy at a local swap meet over the weekend. $100. 1985 Trek 620 Touring. Yum!

Oh man that is so nice..... my fellow 620 brother! By '85 they finally figured out that two bottle mounts are better than one. Wouldnt mind a couple more pics if you got em.
I just got a 620 too. I posted pics here on this page: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Dump!/page189

Last edited by dgodave; 06-08-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 01:07 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up this Nishiki Prestige + 2 Brand new Kenda tires and 2 Michelin tubes an hour ago for $30! For sure my deal of the month!

Old 06-09-10, 08:13 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Super snag on the Nishiki, Funkflex! Those Kawamura bikes are really excellent riders! .. . BTW, that Vetta saddle is an especially comfortable saddle - well worth the price - all by itself.
Old 06-09-10, 09:18 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aaahhhh!!! The Trek and Nishiki are my size! Why can't I stumble upon some 60cm screamin' deals??
Old 06-09-10, 09:55 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I picked up a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 today, it was my first buy in a long while. It seems like a decent overall bike, the condition is just ok though.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-09-10, 10:21 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone is trying to sell a Nishiki in my area that looks to be the exact same size as that one above in this thread, same tubing but with cyclone mk2 derailleurs, sugino crank with factory drilled rings, non aero brake levers. The guy selling it is not asking a lot by any means but I'd have no use for it being so big and I dont think I'd be able to mail the frame within post office size restrictions (also I think I spotted a little dent in the top tube, eek)! The only parts I feel are worthy is the cyclone stuff, but 75$ can probably buy you a few sets elsewhere!

Last edited by divineAndbright; 06-09-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 01:47 AM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Super snag on the Nishiki, Funkflex! Those Kawamura bikes are really excellent riders! .. . BTW, that Vetta saddle is an especially comfortable saddle - well worth the price - all by itself.
Yea I'm loving it so far! A few hours later I pulled this Schwinn Prelude for $40. It was a good day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.