Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V Clunker 100 Challenge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V Clunker 100 Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 10:45 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
That orange SJ exceeds the budget of $100, so not submitting.

But there is no theft test as part of the rules.

I don't know how Lascauxcaveman is going to bring that POS Redline in on budget as it needs everything. Did you miss the part about FMV on parts from your stash?

My first possibility is coming in under $50.
The bike I am looking at won't need a thing from my parts stash...

We have been considering doing a similar thing at the bike co-op with an even lower budget to see just how good it gets when you have just a little to spend.
Old 02-16-14, 11:49 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Why are they a money pit?

current inventory = 3 stumpys + 1 rockhopper + 2 hard rocks + 1 hard rock frame

All except the 1985 SJ Sport (shown as purchased) below were less than $65.
The bikes themselves aren't too bad to purchase as you've found out. But try piecing together a period correct XT bike.
It can get expensive. So why do I continue to buy them? Good question.
Old 02-16-14, 12:07 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took a few pictures of my entry, picked this up at a yard sale in town for 20 bucks, basically as it sits. It had a flat that I fixed using a used tube I had sitting around. I've done nothing to this bike yet except take it for a short ride last fall. I think I can easily make 100 miles on this thing with nothing more than a bit of chain oil.

Old 02-16-14, 12:20 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I see the stakes have been raised but folks should be aware that when you put a Scotsman on a tight budget he will be in his natural element... there should be bonus points awarded for how much beer you can buy with the leftovers from the $100.00 and in my case I think I will be able to afford a good bottle of scotch.

The cheaper the beer or scotch, the more you can buy - right? That goes hand-in-hand with the clunker.
Old 02-16-14, 12:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
The cheaper the beer or scotch, the more you can buy - right? That goes hand-in-hand with the clunker.
I live in Canuckistan where there is no such thing as cheap alcohol.
Old 02-16-14, 02:18 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I live in Canuckistan where there is no such thing as cheap alcohol.
Well I dunno 'bout that 65R. Just yesterday the New Liquor Store up there in Simcoe had "Fireball" Cinnamon Whiskey (750ml) on sale for $19.75 CDN!Keeps my blood thin in the long cold winters.
Old 02-16-14, 02:27 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts

I don't know how Lascauxcaveman is going to bring that POS Redline in on budget as it needs everything. Did you miss the part about FMV on parts from your stash?
I intend to cheat.

But seriously, I think I'll be quoting the actual prices I paid for the parts I'm using, and throw myself on the mercy of the court. I'll be using some stuff that arguably has little or no resale value. Stuff like used shifter cables that came off other projects and was able to shorten and reuse for this one. I've got a set of nice used tires; have no idea what used tires are worth, but they were purchased at a yard sale in a box with a nice basket, two bells a rear touring rack and some clamp-on aero-bars for a grand total of $20. What's a slightly-pitted, no-name crank spindle worth, at bike swap? A buck? Who would want it, when there's another guy one table over who's got a box full of near-perfect ones for $5 each? That Redline frame, on the other hand, sure it looks like a zero-value item, coming out the dumpster covered in dead leaves and moss, but it's straight, and the rust (even in the BB) is actually not too bad. Now that I've got it stripped and cleaned, that Tange MTB Cr-Mo sticker on it and its fairly light weight might fetch $20 from a person who's always wanted to have a triple triangle frame.

Fudge factor, I guess.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 02-16-14, 02:33 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

1988 World for free, after complete rebuild. $59 in parts into it, inluding the hoods (a luxury item on a flip). Perfectfor this challenge except: 2 sizes too small, and saddle would become a torture device.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140216_085218.jpg (94.3 KB, 206 views)
Old 02-16-14, 02:55 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I intend to cheat.

But seriously, I think I'll be quoting the actual prices I paid for the parts I'm using, and throw myself on the mercy of the court. I'll be using some stuff that arguably has little or no resale value. Stuff like used shifter cables that came off other projects and was able to shorten and reuse for this one. I've got a set of nice used tires; have no idea what used tires are worth, but they were purchased at a yard sale in a box with a nice basket, two bells a rear touring rack and some clamp-on aero-bars for a grand total of $20. What's a slightly-pitted, no-name crank spindle worth, at bike swap? A buck? Who would want it, when there's another guy one table over who's got a box full of near-perfect ones for $5 each? That Redline frame, on the other hand, sure it looks like a zero-value item, coming out the dumpster covered in dead leaves and moss, but it's straight, and the rust (even in the BB) is actually not too bad. Now that I've got it stripped and cleaned, that Tange MTB Cr-Mo sticker on it and its fairly light weight might fetch $20 from a person who's always wanted to have a triple triangle frame.

Fudge factor, I guess.
I like your strategy. Truth be known, I save old cables. Some are perfectly OK when cut back, and some can be, well, just made to work. The idea after all is to put together a bike that can be ridden for 100 miles. I have a $20 Schwinn World that I may enter.
Old 02-16-14, 02:58 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
We have some stuff competition on our hands. Saddle looks good, waterproofing seems tight. That bb has low friction orange red grease...no overhaul needed. That chain actually has shifting properties built in. Quite the gem...some people will throw away anything.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Just so you guys know you've got some worthy competition: I think my recent dumpster-sourced MTB is dead center in the spirit of this contest. It's my intention to turn this into a serviceable drop bar tourer.

For your consideration, a 1990 Redline Thirty (no, I've never heard of such a thing either)

(pls note the abstract masterpiece of rusted-in-time chainline. How does this even happen?)

Let's take a quick look inside the bottom bracket, just to make sure everything is in order there, shall we? Very good. I'd say this is up to standard.

Freewheel frozen stationary on the hub? Check.
Derailleur snaps into two pieces when removal is attempted? Check.
Possible areas to consider upgrading: freewheel, rear derailleur. Maybe the chain, too.

Once removed, the crankset feels a bit heavy compared to my better triples I have waiting in my parts bins. But underneath that silver-colored umm.... paint? powdercoat? ...is a functional crank that can be re-used.

Green (?) anodized rims? Was this a thing, back in 1990? Anyway, the front rim is true enough to reuse. We'll see about the back rim, if we can get the rusty axle free enough to spin.

Significant growths of moss are to be expected in my damp corner of the USA. Otherwise, one would suspect this bike has been coddled, safely tucked away in a woodshed, carport or hen house all these years

I've started cleaning it up tonight. Cash outlay so far: $0.00
Old 02-16-14, 03:45 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Prospective Clunker Entry A

Here's the first of several I am considering. Wednesday looks like 40 degrees!

Total investment of $50.95

$40.00 Raleigh Sprite (acquired 11/7/2013) - some surface rust on the handlebars, otherwise paint, chrome, decals in A+ condition.

$10.95 for parts
Replaced front tire $8.41, front pads $.80, rear brake cable $1.10, front bearings $.20, (amount included for rear bearings $.44)

Before

After
Old 02-16-14, 04:33 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 1,766 Posts
I'm in. I have quite a few bikes in the attic already that would fit the bill: bought for €20-40 and would need little more than a lube and an inner tube or so to be able to ride. But that would not be much of a challenge and why waste an opportunity to get me another bike I don't need? So I trawled the classifieds and found this:

The seller accepted my €40 offer, so I picked it up this afternoon. The good news is that it's my size and pretty much complete. The bad news is that it has lived outside for quite some time. There's a lot of surface rust and everything is pretty much stuck.
I may end up having to ride 100k with the saddle and stem in their current positions ...

Anyway, the expenditure so far is $54.83.

Last edited by non-fixie; 05-13-21 at 10:47 AM. Reason: restored pic
Old 02-16-14, 06:50 PM
jish1969

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-15, 2013 Trek Stache 7, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3, 2018 Diamondback El Oso Dos, 197* Charles Roberts

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like the previous O upgraded the rear D to a Shimano STX IG compatible, which came into existence sometime in the mid-nineties. Does anyone know if this is index compatible? If it is and I can find an old rapidfire shifter at the co-op I may pull the trigger.

P.S. That Redline is gonna look sweet, please post some progress photos...
Attached Images
1984 Schwinn Sierra 003.jpg (98.0 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by jish1969; 02-16-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 07:24 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jish1969
Looks like the previous O upgraded the rear D to a Shimano STX IG compatible, which came into existence sometime in the mid-nineties. Does anyone know if this is index compatible? If it is and I can find an old rapidfire shifter at the co-op I may pull the trigger.
Yes, STX is indexed.
Old 02-16-14, 07:29 PM
jish1969

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-15, 2013 Trek Stache 7, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3, 2018 Diamondback El Oso Dos, 197* Charles Roberts

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, STX is indexed.
Well then, with 17 bucks and some change remaining this could get interesting for me...
Old 02-16-14, 08:05 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were in charge of this event (I'm not) and if I were responsible for picking the early winners (I'm not) and if I was the one making the rules (I'm not) I would give Lascausxcaveman the win by far for what he's starting off with. It's going to be interesting to see the final result, and I hope more people enter junk like this one.
Old 02-17-14, 12:24 PM
Bholio

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Since the rule is that the bike needs to be purchased after 2/14, this is my only entry. Got it Yesterday for $30(USD) on Craigslist. Missing rear tube & tires seem to be from 1970s. Quick bench testing shows that brakes and gears seem to work. Chain flexible, rims straight. Pretty sure it would ride with a new tube in back.

Weirdly customized by prior owners with turkey levers & universal side-pulls. Also barcons and suntour FD. Avocet soft seat. My first proper road bike since my last Peugeot was stolen 30 years ago. This one appears to be a higher-end model than my 1980s one was.

I plan to tear down, clean, oil, replace tires, check/replace cables and use as is. No plans to do the leave-it-unlocked test.

Attached Images
20140217_124436 (Custom).jpg (85.1 KB, 223 views)
20140217_124446 (Custom).jpg (90.6 KB, 213 views)
20140217_124341 (Custom).jpg (93.0 KB, 344 views)
Old 02-17-14, 12:38 PM
Bikes and Jeeps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a px-10.
You did pretty good for $30.
Old 02-17-14, 12:43 PM
Daveyates

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bholio
Since the rule is that the bike needs to be purchased after 2/14, this is my only entry. Got it Yesterday for $30(USD) on Craigslist. Missing rear tube & tires seem to be from 1970s. Quick bench testing shows that brakes and gears seem to work. Chain flexible, rims straight. Pretty sure it would ride with a new tube in back.

Weirdly customized by prior owners with turkey levers & universal side-pulls. Also barcons and suntour FD. Avocet soft seat. My first proper road bike since my last Peugeot was stolen 30 years ago. This one appears to be a higher-end model than my 1980s one was.

I plan to tear down, clean, oil, replace tires, check/replace cables and use as is. No plans to do the leave-it-unlocked test.

Wow excellent!

I should be picking my bike up tomorrow morning if all goes well.
It's 80 euros and so i don't have much money left if it needs anything replacing!
Old 02-17-14, 01:33 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
i just slapped together a schwinn humpback vagabond. put together with junk parts laying around. i don't think i could ride it 1km let alone 100. purely pos material. the only thing going for it was a conversion bottom bracket for one piece to 3 piece cranks.
Old 02-17-14, 02:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 1,766 Posts
Mrs non-fixie and I were invited to our niece's birthday party yesterday, so I was a little pressed for time when I picked up the Atala. No time for the usual niceties, so I just handed the money to the seller, threw the bike in the back of the car and raced back home. And it shows.

After a closer look tonight these are the preliminary findings:

The rear wheel is missing three spokes and two others are broken:

The bar stem came out after a little persuasion, but the seat post still won't budge:

The teeth on the big ring have been shaved by the FD that is mounted too low (and there's a bolt missing):

The dropout adjuster screws have gone AWOL, but that has been compensated for by a solid nutted rear axle. PO kept his chain well-oiled:

Found a tubing decal:

I may have been a little hasty in my earlier assessment that the bike was complete ...

Last edited by non-fixie; 05-13-21 at 10:52 AM. Reason: restored pics
Old 02-17-14, 05:37 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
The teeth on the big ring have been shaved by the FD that is mounted too low (and there's a bolt missing):

Nice! That is some kinda Clunkertown street cred there, my friend. That simply cannot be bought, but must be earned, by the kind of hamfisted, bloodyminded ignorance and don't-give-sh#t attitudes we clunkerphiles come to expect from our POs. Plus, it's on the big ring, so it doesn't really matter. In fact, it probably shifts better, for not having to make such a big jump to get over them big pointy-thing whatchamacallits. Missing bolts means it's lighter, for performance.

Great start!
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 02-17-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 05:52 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Nice. All you need is an aero bar add-on for style points

Here's the first of several I am considering. Wednesday looks like 40 degrees!

Total investment of $50.95

$40.00 Raleigh Sprite (acquired 11/7/2013) - some surface rust on the handlebars, otherwise paint, chrome, decals in A+ condition.

$10.95 for parts
Replaced front tire $8.41, front pads $.80, rear brake cable $1.10, front bearings $.20, (amount included for rear bearings $.44)

Before

After
Old 02-17-14, 06:58 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bholio

A PX10 for $30.00. Stop the contest. We have a winner.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 02-17-14, 07:27 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm
A PX10 for $30.00. Stop the contest. We have a winner.
No! If he makes a PX10 into a clunker, he will be banned! If this contest inspired him to save that bike, then it willl have served its purpose admirably already; but he mustn't make it into a clunker, that wouldn't be right at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.