Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Which bike to bring to Delaware?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 10:07 AM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

My wife and I will be moving to Wilmington DE for a temporary work assignment this weekend. We will be living in the area for about 3 months so that'll put us out to the beginning of February before we move on to the next place. We both like to hike and bike and explore new areas but I don't know what to expect as far as bike-ability of the area. Normally, in the city, I like to use the bike to get groceries, go to work, and just go out for a stroll. I have two bikes to choose from for our short time there and I can only bring one; touring bike (SOMA Saga) or a full suspension MT bike (Scott Spark 940).

So should I bring the touring bike because its better for utility and getting around the city? Or should I bring the MT bike because maybe city riding sucks around that area and I should spend more time on MT trails?

I appreciate any advice...leaving this Friday.
Old 11-01-16, 10:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You going to the Punkin' Chunkin'? It's in Delaware..
Old 11-01-16, 10:16 AM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You going to the Punkin' Chunkin'? It's in Delaware..
Sounds like a bucket-list event...I remember hearing about this in the past. I'll have to look into it.

EDIT: Looks like it's in the southern part of the state this weekend. We don't even have a place to stay yet so we'll have to be apt-hunting all weekend. Too bad...

Last edited by urbanescapee; 11-01-16 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added response
Old 11-01-16, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,568 Times in 7,334 Posts
Not sure there's much MTB-ing in DE. I'd bring the Soma.

BTW...If you will have access to a car and there is a nice weekend, you might want to head to Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE. The park is nice to ride through. One trail (non-technical) takes you very close to Rehoboth, which is a nice spots for lunch. The park is a former WWII artillery installation that was supposed to protect the bay and Delaware River from enemy ships and subs. They recently finished a new exhibit to the military past, and there is at least one observation/lookout tower you can walk up.

I finally got to spend some time there this past Easter during a four-day tour from Philly. The campground there is so popular, weekends are often booked months in advance. Even during Easter weekend the campground, which is quite large, was probably close to 80% full.
Old 11-01-16, 12:48 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've been riding for transportation/utility in the area for 20 year and have had no problems with city riding. I would not expect any problems with the touring bike.

There are a few trails in the area (Alapocas Run State Park, Brandywine Creek State Park; White Clay State Park closer to Newark DE) where you can ride, but most of the trails are very mild (Alapocas Run would be fine on a road bike). These don't require the MTB bike but could be a pleasant walk/hike.

Do you know where you will be living/working? Do you expect to drive at all, or rely on the bicycle?
Old 11-01-16, 04:44 PM
urbanescapee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AngeloDolce
I've been riding for transportation/utility in the area for 20 year and have had no problems with city riding. I would not expect any problems with the touring bike.

There are a few trails in the area (Alapocas Run State Park, Brandywine Creek State Park; White Clay State Park closer to Newark DE) where you can ride, but most of the trails are very mild (Alapocas Run would be fine on a road bike). These don't require the MTB bike but could be a pleasant walk/hike.

Do you know where you will be living/working? Do you expect to drive at all, or rely on the bicycle?
Yes, we will be living somewhere between Newark and Wilmington. We will have a car, that's not a problem. I just like to bike whenever I can reasonably do so.
Old 11-25-16, 03:37 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd bring your touring bike. Probably get more mileage out of it.