Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador is a class act

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador is a class act

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-09, 10:00 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Contador is a class act

Despite all the flack that the English-speaking media is giving him, Contador is a great champion. He is also a great sportsman and showed it today.
Old 07-25-09, 10:02 AM
GreenRiver

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watching Alberto match up with the Schleck boys in the coming years will be interesting for sure.
Old 07-25-09, 10:18 AM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He may or may not be. Its easy to be a sportsman when the race is in the bag. I tend to look how they react when its not and well, lets face it this tour he has had some questionable moves.

Not taking a thing away from him and his abilities, hes the best on the planet right now, no question.
Old 07-25-09, 10:26 AM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow
He may or may not be. Its easy to be a sportsman when the race is in the bag. I tend to look how they react when its not and well, lets face it this tour he has had some questionable moves.

Not taking a thing away from him and his abilities, hes the best on the planet right now, no question.
i agree. contador could have easily taken today's stage. his only competition was andy schleck who spent his bullets attacking.

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 10:39 AM
vadimivich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador acted as "patron" of the peleton today for the first time - just another step in his growth as a great champion.
Old 07-25-09, 10:42 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If Contador took off and tried to win the stage today, everyone would have let him go. Many people were picking Contador to win the stage; even some Astana teammates (see Levi's blog).

Instead, he spent the whole day pulling Armstrong up to Andy or countering Andy's moves to let Armstrong catch back up. Without Contador's help, Armstrong could easily have lost his podium spot.
Old 07-25-09, 10:47 AM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only problem with you logic is he wasn't fighting Andy for third place.

LA did well for himself today, but AC held back just to make everything was square. I wish he would have flown the coup and won the stage. He will regret that.

Maybe he is going to Radioshack afterall.

Richard

Originally Posted by johnny99
If Contador took off and tried to win the stage today, everyone would have let him go. Many people were picking Contador to win the stage; even some Astana teammates (see Levi's blog).

Instead, he spent the whole day pulling Armstrong up to Andy or countering Andy's moves to let Armstrong catch back up. Without Contador's help, Armstrong could easily have lost his podium spot.
Old 07-25-09, 10:48 AM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If someone would tell him that the pistol shot salute is cheesy to the point of being painful to watch.

Apperantly gifting stage 18 to the Schlecks after they did all the work dropping KlOden. Yeah, magnanimous.

Yes, he can ride, but I'm not much of a fan.
Old 07-25-09, 10:51 AM
reef58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give the kid a break for pete's sake. He is trying to win a race not run a day care center. He discussed the attack with Kloden, so I doubt Kloden has any problems with what he did. I am sure he feels badly about dropping Kloden, and putting more time on Lance, but this is a race not a no drop group ride.

Richard

Originally Posted by trustnoone
If someone would tell him that the pistol shot salute is cheesy to the point of being painful to watch.

Apperantly gifting stage 18 to the Schlecks after they did all the work dropping KlOden. Yeah, magnanimous.

Yes, he can ride, but I'm not much of a fan.
Old 07-25-09, 10:57 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by reef58
Give the kid a break for pete's sake. He is trying to win a race not run a day care center. He discussed the attack with Kloden, so I doubt Kloden has any problems with what he did. I am sure he feels badly about dropping Kloden, and putting more time on Lance, but this is a race not a no drop group ride.

Richard
The best reply yet. Good job!

It'll fall on deaf ears though.
Old 07-25-09, 11:07 AM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vadimivich
Contador acted as "patron" of the peleton today for the first time - just another step in his growth as a great champion.
contador will have four GT wins at age 26. he was on his way to being a great champion waaaay sooner than you want to give him credit for .

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 11:10 AM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only problem with you logic is he wasn't fighting Andy for third place.

LA did well for himself today, but AC held back just to make everything was square. I wish he would have flown the coup and won the stage. He will regret that.

Maybe he is going to Radioshack afterall.

Richard
i suspect you are right. lance regretted gifting ventoux to pantani.

"no gifts".

i guess that only applies to giving, not receiving.

what a boring, politically correct stage.

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 11:18 AM
reef58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the problem with some people and Contador is they want him to micro manage every kilometer of a race like Lance did. I don't think that is how AC operates. He wants to race. Here is a stroy I am stealing from running back John Riggins. I think his high school or college coach told him this to motivate him. The response from Riggins is AC like to me.

Coach says John if you want to win you have to be like player A. Player A always gets plenty of rest while player B is out partying and having a good time. Player A always eats properly while player B is eating pizza and drinking beer. Player A trains properly and understands the entire field. Player B is hitting on girls. Then during the race at the finish line player A stretches to nose player B at this line. Riggins replies that player B sure is talented.

Richard
Old 07-25-09, 11:24 AM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the problem with some people and Contador is they want him to micro manage every kilometer of a race like Lance did. I don't think that is how AC operates. He wants to race. Here is a stroy I am stealing from running back John Riggins. I think his high school or college coach told him this to motivate him. The response from Riggins is AC like to me.

Coach says John if you want to win you have to be like player A. Player A always gets plenty of rest while player B is out partying and having a good time. Player A always eats properly while player B is eating pizza and drinking beer. Player A trains properly and understands the entire field. Player B is hitting on girls. Then during the race at the finish line player A stretches to nose player B at this line. Riggins replies that player B sure is talented.

Richard
have we seen any celebrating from team astana? do they mob alberto like columbia does cav after a stage win? hell no. many of the astana guys will be getting their checks signed by lance next year. even horner has badmouthed contador.

i've never seen a situation where the yellow jersey was so maligned by his own team.

contador should have fired the pistol today atop ventoux.

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 11:26 AM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador was great today. You can't keep firing bullets day after day durng a GT. You also have to play the team game. He deserves this victory and I congratulate him. Far and away the best rider.
Old 07-25-09, 11:35 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
have we seen any celebrating from team astana? do they mob alberto like columbia does cav after a stage win? hell no. many of the astana guys will be getting their checks signed by lance next year. even horner has badmouthed contador.

i've never seen a situation where the yellow jersey was so maligned by his own team.

contador should have fired the pistol today atop ventoux.

ed rader
Yes.

Lance should have sucked it up and threw all of his support behind AC. That would have been true team leadership. They had the yellow jersey, the most dominant rider in the race, but they were bent because AC wasn't following their "team" tactics. Tactics that weren't the best strategy for AC to dominate the race. Contador should have had well over a 5 minute lead going into the ITT. But he'd been reigned in on the pyrenees.
Old 07-25-09, 11:40 AM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"no gifts".

ed rader
That was a whole different ballgame. Did Armstrong have a team mate to protect that year from slipping off the podium?
Old 07-25-09, 11:41 AM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
Yes.

Lance should have sucked it up and threw all of his support behind AC. That would have been true team leadership. They had the yellow jersey, the most dominant rider in the race, but they were bent because AC wasn't following their "team" tactics. Tactics that weren't the best strategy for AC to dominate the race. Contador should have had well over a 5 minute lead going into the ITT. But he'd been reigned in on the pyrenees.
His team did a heck of a lot more to support him day after day than it did to hold him back.
Old 07-25-09, 11:41 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

"no gifts".

ed rader
Unfortunately, I'm at work so I've only been able to follow the race on the Velonews feed, rather than actually watching it on Versus, but it appears that Contador did a good job towards getting the maximum possible finish for Astana, him in first, Lance in third.

So what's the problem with that? I always thought that's how cycling teams were supposed to operate?

And it certainly wasn't boring. If I could find lines of type on a screen exciting, the stage wasn't boring.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-25-09, 11:43 AM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Unfortunately, I'm at work so I've only been able to follow the race on the Velonews feed, rather than actually watching it on Versus, but it appears that Contador did a good job towards getting the maximum possible finish for Astana, him in first, Lance in third.

So what's the problem with that? I always thought that's how cycling teams were supposed to operate?

And it certainly wasn't boring. If I could find lines of type on a screen exciting, the stage wasn't boring.
Because Ed hates Armstrong. It is all about Contador.
Old 07-25-09, 11:46 AM
Blah Blah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think if Contador was from Texas this thread would not even exist.
Old 07-25-09, 11:56 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
When LeMond is crying about you and throwing accusations, you know you're a great champion.
Old 07-25-09, 11:57 AM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker

how would winning the stage affect the third podium spot? armstrong was racing for third and he was clearly stronger than wiggins or frank schleck. wiggins was barely hanging on and armstrong easily handled frank schleck.

since when has a stage win on a finish like ventoux been a bad thing for the yellow jersey on the penultimate stage of the tour de france?

only in 2009.......

like you said, you haven't seen the race yet........................

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 12:00 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by julian
Because Ed hates Armstrong. It is all about Contador.
no, i dislike armstrong who talks out of both sides of his mouth and has used this TDF to serve his own purposes. i don't hate the guy.

ed rader
Old 07-25-09, 12:02 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by julian
That was a whole different ballgame. Did Armstrong have a team mate to protect that year from slipping off the podium?
you probably don't know anything about that race i'm sure.

ed rader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.