Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Fitting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Fitting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 09:52 AM
jarango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Fitting

Is it true and accurate to say that in a properly fit road bike the handlebars should be obstructing the front hub from your view when looking down while holding the bars from the drops?

In my case, the hub is mostly obstructed ONLY when holding the bars before the hoods and sitting in a fairly upright position. It also depends on how much I bend my neck. I try to maintain a "neutral" neck position when doing so, but it does make me wonder what the correct neck posture should be for this rule of thumb to work.

If this rule is not accurate, how can one determine if the length of a frame is too short. I know you can always get a longer stem, and I did by switching from 90 mm to 110 mm. However, I don't want to go so long as to sacrifice bike aesthetics. Which by the way, it would be interesting to see what people think is too long of a stem in terms of aesthetics ?

Thanks
Jesus
Old 04-12-11, 10:01 AM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Jesus, first I must say....Im a huge fan of your work, thanks for the fish and bread that one day....was getting really hungry.
But for bike fitting, it isnt strict guidelines just "get you into the ballpark". Your best bet is to get professional bike fitted and have the numbers recorded so on your next bike you can transfer the numbers over.
Also look here:
https://pedalforce.com/online/bikefit...5eb37560adfcda
Old 04-12-11, 11:00 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
LOL! I'm a huge Jesus fan too!

In terms of esthetics of 10mm stem length difference, I wouldn't care or notice if you're the guy that's just passed me.
Old 04-12-11, 11:19 AM
renton
Come on you Spurs!

Bikes: Trek 2.1, BMC Roadracer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's back?
Old 04-12-11, 11:56 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Hello son............. The old bars hiding the hub thing is an OLD rule of thumb that really no longer aplies. The bars should be where ever they are most comfortable for you. You should have a little elbow bend and be able to use your drops efficiently.

Old 04-12-11, 12:00 PM
jarango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:-)
Old 04-12-11, 01:02 PM
jarango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VA_Esquire
Thanks for the link. Below are my results. Here is also a picture of the Diamond Back Podium 6 bike I purchased, which is advertised as (54 cm). The seat tube (C-C) is 47 cm. The top tube is 53.34(cm). Do you guys think is the right size for me or should I return it and get a 56 cm version ?

Body Measurements:

Units: cm
Height: 176.98
Sternal Notch Height: 145.41
Inseam Length: 80.32
Tigh Length: 33.97
Arm length: 58.42
Shoulder Width: 38.10
Foot Length: 26.67
Saddle Height over handlebar: 5.08

Bicycle Sizing Recommendations:

Seat Tube Length (c-c): 53.0 cm 20.9 inch
Seat Tube Angle: 75.0 deg
Crank Arm Length: 170.0 mm 6.7 inch
Saddle-Pedal Length: 85.0 - 87.4 cm 33.4 - 34.4 inch
Top tube Length: 54.0 cm 21.3 inch
Stem Length: 95.0 - 105.0 mm 3.7 - 4.1 inch
Handlebar Width: 38.0 - 39.0 cm 15.0 - 15.4 inch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0328.jpg (101.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-12-11, 01:10 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
This fitting "rule of thumb" like other guidelines is just that. A guideline. It ensures you are in the "ballpark" for correct fit.

Same goes for KOPS.

But it's not (pardon the expression) gospel and certainly can be tweaked for comfort/performance and/or your personal preference.
Old 04-12-11, 01:21 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In that picture is your left foot flat on the ground? If so, that bike is WAY too small for you, like you probably need a 58, not a 56 and DEFINITELY not a 54. You need to go to an LBS and get fitted, THEN buy a bicycle and then get that properly sized bicycle adjusted to fit you. Regardless, return that one ASAP before they won't take it back.
Old 04-12-11, 01:59 PM
jarango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
In that picture is your left foot flat on the ground?
No, both of my feet on the pedals.
Old 04-12-11, 03:05 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Since you've already bought it, isn't this then moot? Or can you still exchange it? Hard to eyeball it in person as it is without trying to do so from a pic. If it's generally comfortable now, maybe tweak it with stem, handlebar, seatpost, etc. adjustments.
Old 04-12-11, 03:07 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man! That bike looks unbelievably small for you!!!! It literally looks like you are consuming it, not riding it!!!
Old 04-12-11, 03:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
Oh man! That bike looks unbelievably small for you!!!! It literally looks like you are consuming it, not riding it!!!
2nd that ^^^^

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-12-11 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 03:22 PM
jarango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Since you've already bought it, isn't this then moot? Or can you still exchange it? Hard to eyeball it in person as it is without trying to do so from a pic. If it's generally comfortable now, maybe tweak it with stem, handlebar, seatpost, etc. adjustments.
I can still return it. That's one of the reasons I decided to buy local. In fact, I am here at the store and they are trying hard to convince me it is my size. I don't believe them as it is not in their interest for me to return it. That is why I am asking here.
Old 04-12-11, 03:27 PM
dmp
'84 and '09 Pinarellos

Bikes: '84 Pinarello Record Equipe rebuilt with Campy Chorus/ Record; 2009 Pinarello Paris/ Campy SR 11sp; Litespeed Tuscany w Campy SR 11 speed

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
1. The bars obstructing the hub measurement is an old rule of thumb that is generally not thought to be very relevant any more. Forget about it.

2. I think you can't tell a lot from the picture- the angle from which it was taken appears to make the bike look misleadingly small. Remember, he said that he has both feet flat on the pedals in the picture. 177cm tall is about 5'9.5", so a 54cm frame is in the ball park, assuming "average" body dimensions. The fit calculator (which is an estimate, not a pro fitting, but a good starting place) gives a top tube dimension within 7mm of his bike's. A 110mm stem is an average size- the 90mm one is by most standards a short stem. The C-C measurement of seat tube that the OP posted sounds so short because the bike has a sloping top tube, so I am assuming that the "size 54cm" is the effective seat tube length, and is the least important measurement anyway. You also need to assess the head tube length.

I think that you may be ok with the size, but to know for sure you need to have a good fitter look at you on the bike with cycling shoes and kit on (not jeans and running shoes). Another issue is how you feel on it- do you feel cramped or does the fit feel right? Unless you have ridden well fit bike before, however, this may be hard for you to judge.
Old 04-12-11, 04:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
Hard to tell from your small pic but I concur that that bike looks too small for you. Looks like you are riding your little brother's bike!
Old 04-12-11, 07:50 PM
jarango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I returned the bike. The question now is what bike am I going to buy now that the podium 6 is sold out at PB. It was a great deal. I am now deciding between the podium 5 and the Bottecchia USA with CF and dura ace that they sell at eBay for 1800. The podium 5 frame is much nicer and is bb30 and internal cable routing. On the other hand the Bottecchia has excellent components.
Old 04-12-11, 07:55 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jarango
I returned the bike. The question now is what bike am I going to buy now that the podium 6 is sold out at PB. It was a great deal. I am now deciding between the podium 5 and the Bottecchia USA with CF and dura ace that they sell at eBay for 1800. The podium 5 frame is much nicer and is bb30 and internal cable routing. On the other hand the Bottecchia has excellent components.
Dude, you sure know a lot about bikes for a guy that was riding one 4 sizes too small!
Old 04-12-11, 08:05 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jarango that frame is too short for you. Looks like you are short legged but either way, frame too short in my opinion. The 56 is like ok, the issue is that that frame in specific has a seat tube angle makes the reach of the bike shorter.

I would get the 56 if i was you. In that one you look like a bear riding a scooter, sorry for the analogy. And flip the stem also

Good luck.
Old 04-12-11, 08:15 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
In that one you look like a bear riding a scooter, sorry for the analogy...
that's nothing... sport bikers analogy for big guys on SS bikes is "Monkey F'ing a Football"... That's why I ride a Sport Touring rig
Old 04-12-11, 08:55 PM
jarango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Accordion
Dude, you sure know a lot about bikes for a guy that was riding one 4 sizes too small!
It not really 4 sizes too small. The top tube is proportionate to my measurements but the bike is too short. I've been told I am either a 54 or a 56, and I bought the bike based on that. The problem is, as dmp stated, that diamondback measured the seat tube length from the center of the BB, along the seat tube, to a horizontal imaginary like that intersects with the top of the head tube.

The shop fitted the bike to my measurements and it felt fine, but as someone pointed out I look like I am on my little brother's bike. I did not realized this until I took the picture I posted today. I've learned my lesson: fitting a bike has two components: 1) That it can be adjusted to your measurements 2) Aesthetics: That you don't look ridiculously small or big on the bike. I failed to consider #2 when I bought the bike.
Old 04-12-11, 11:40 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
The rule that works for me and my customers is, with the seat positioned so the center of gravity is over the feet, the humerus (upper arm) should form a 90+ degree angle with the torso when the hands are over the brake hoods. And the elbows are slightly bent. And the back is reasonably straight.

Some guys ride larger than their dimensions would indicate. You seem to be one of them, probably because of your straight back and long-ish arms. The top tube on that 54 Diamondback is also on the short side. I'd try a 56.
Old 04-13-11, 01:47 PM
jarango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I returned the bike. Since the Podium 6 is no longer available, I chose the Bottecchia/Carbon/Dura-Ace over the Podium 5. In this decision I chose components over frame. We'll see how that goes.