Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's better? Fuji Sport or Trek?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's better? Fuji Sport or Trek?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 05:29 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530
That's rich... attacking me for recommending Trek (in a constricted "Trek vs Fuji" who WOULDN'T pick Trek? That's like McDonald's vs Mortons) and you recommend a Crack-n-fail.
Trek is more like casual family restaurant i.e. TGI Fridays. Mid price, accessible, dressed up version of fast food. Mortons would be Cervelo or euro brands.
Old 07-22-15, 05:33 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
I'd say that at the Tiagra and below levels, the substitute components won't be very much inferior. At 105 levels and above, they may be.

GH

The Madone also has old outgoing 4600 Tiagra which will be obsolete in a month or so when 4700 bikes start hitting the street. As someone who has had 10 speed 105 and Ultegra and currently has 11 speed 105 I will say it's night and day difference. Last gen Shimano is serviceable but has a lot of issues. Current gen ergonomics and shifting are much better and make riding a much more enjoyable experience. And on the point of resale, value of a 4600 bike will take a hit when 4700 is out.
Old 07-22-15, 05:35 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Morton's is entry-level. So is driving there in an Audi. Self-park? ...never.
Old 07-22-15, 05:41 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
Morton's is entry-level. So is driving there in an Audi. Self-park? ...never.
Would never survive in LA that way. need to roll your Bentley to Mastros or Cut. Morton's is for the common man but usually rolling the BMW or Mercedes
Old 07-22-15, 05:51 PM
Alias530
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Trek is more like casual family restaurant i.e. TGI Fridays. Mid price, accessible, dressed up version of fast food. Mortons would be Cervelo or euro brands.
Alright let's play your game... where's the tangible benefit of a Cervelo/BMC/Colnago/Pinarello over a Trek?

That's one step too far for resale... once you get into bikes of that price tier, good luck selling them used. People who have $5k to spend on a bike don't want a used one.

Edit:

Let's look at the Trek Emonda SL8 and the Colnago CX Zero Evo. Both "Dura Ace" models

Nearly the same except the Colnago has an Ultegra cassette instead of the Dura Ace one on the Trek, a $25 handlebar instead of the $100 one on the Trek. The Colnago has a $700 wheelset vs a $500 one on the Trek. So... $200 less in cassette and handlebar but $200 more in wheels, so about the same.

Yet the Colnago costs about $2500 more. You're paying for the name/frame.

That's just the first example I looked at.

Last edited by Alias530; 07-22-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 05:59 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Alright let's play your game... where's the tangible benefit of a Cervelo/BMC/Colnago/Pinarello over a Trek?

That's one step too far for resale... once you get into bikes of that price tier, good luck selling them used. People who have $5k to spend on a bike don't want a used one.
That's true and people that spend $5-10k on a bike tend to keep them until the disintegrate (the bike or the person). Used bike markets also vary greatly around the country. Not sure where you are but you did good on the bike you bought and sold but you bought it used after it already had taken the brunt of depreciation. From my experience in socal, people buying used carbon bike that retailed for $2-4k want a bargain and those that aren't looking for a bargain are buying new. Carbon especially depreciates fast because most people have fears of hidden issues that may cause assplosions down the road. Not to mention that the real value of a carbon frame is not nearly as much as steel, aluminum or ti based on material cost.
Old 07-22-15, 06:08 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's true and people that spend $5-10k on a bike tend to keep them until the disintegrate (the bike or the person). Used bike markets also vary greatly around the country. Not sure where you are but you did good on the bike you bought and sold but you bought it used after it already had taken the brunt of depreciation. From my experience in socal, people buying used carbon bike that retailed for $2-4k want a bargain and those that aren't looking for a bargain are buying new. Carbon especially depreciates fast because most people have fears of hidden issues that may cause assplosions down the road. Not to mention that the real value of a carbon frame is not nearly as much as steel, aluminum or ti based on material cost.
Yeah there's very little I'd buy used, but if you post online there's usually someone who will buy what you have.

I'll admit that I may have gotten lucky, but I've had outcomes like that at least a half dozen times. Bought a different $1,300 Trek, replaced a few wear items (chain, brake pads, rotors, rebuilt the rear shock--10 minute job and $13 in parts, etc) and sold it for $2,200.

Another sale, a Specialized mountain bike... 2012 Stumpjumper, sold for $3k, a few weeks ago when the 2016 models were announced. 4 model years old and I sold it for 2/3 it's original RETAIL price (not what I paid, I paid $3750, retail $4,500). In 4 model years, I lost a whopping 20% of what I paid.
Old 07-22-15, 06:43 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I really feel like a steak for dinner all of the sudden
Old 07-22-15, 06:57 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I put a power meter on an $800 bike.
Old 07-22-15, 09:56 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I put a power meter on an $800 bike.
Alright now everyone post up your FTP.
Old 07-22-15, 10:04 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I'm beasting it at 184 watts.
Old 07-22-15, 10:11 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrossbeck
The Fuji's are a better deal/bargain. The Treks are a better bike. There is no shame in the purchase of either, get the best bike that you can afford that also fits you.
I don't get your comment i own a fuji and ridden other brand bikes and honestly fuji seems to be the best price and quality. your are just paying for the name trek
Old 07-22-15, 10:21 PM
allen254

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bathwater
Your statement about resale value is a very reasonable one, which I agree with, however, the bolded statement below is what I take issue with:

This cost cutting method is not exclusive to Fuji and your post made no attempt to indicate that. Additionally, mixed groupsets and proprietary components could hardly be considered "junky." Furthermore, your last sentence clearly implies the reason why Fuji bikes are cheaper is because they're equipped with crap, which is also completely incorrect.
I don't get where people are getting their information from Fuji . Fuji makes some of the best bike out there its just that people buy into to the other brands bull**** and their bull **** gives them better marketing power making Fuji seem insignificant but in reality fuji is just as good as a specialized or trek or cannondale IF NOT BETTER . Specialized buys the right to use the name "Roubaix" (Specialized Roubaix) from Fuji
Old 07-22-15, 10:32 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I am going to count out Fuji for now. Most cyclist always say to never get a cheap bike. IT just sounds too much like insecure people that won't admit that it's not an ideal brand and almost sounds like they're trying to sell me by putting the better brand down. Too many contradictions and excuses for this brand. I sense a lot of dishonesty and insecurities. If it was so great, I would have heard of it before.
Old 07-22-15, 10:34 PM
allen254

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I am going to count out Fuji for now. Most cyclist always say to never get a cheap bike. IT just sounds too much like insecure people that won't admit that it's not an ideal brand and almost sounds like they're trying to sell me by putting the better brand down. Too many contradictions and excuses for this brand. I sense a lot of dishonesty and insecurities.
from who Fuji or trek
Old 07-22-15, 10:35 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by allen254
from who Fuji or trek
People on here seem to bash Trek instead of talk about the value of Fuji. Like I said, I'm not looking for a comparable bike, I'm looking for the real deal.
Old 07-22-15, 10:37 PM
allen254

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People on here seem to bash Trek instead of talk about the value of Fuji. Like I said, I'm not looking for a comparable bike, I'm looking for the real deal.
I bash on all the brands except Fuji . fuji makes awesome bikes.
Old 07-22-15, 10:39 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I am going to count out Fuji for now. Most cyclist always say to never get a cheap bike. IT just sounds too much like insecure people that won't admit that it's not an ideal brand and almost sounds like they're trying to sell me by putting the better brand down. Too many contradictions and excuses for this brand. I sense a lot of dishonesty and insecurities. If it was so great, I would have heard of it before.
I'm almost certain you're a troll

You've never heard of it? They've been around longer than Trek and as someone else mentioned Specialized stole the Roubaix model name from them
Old 07-23-15, 06:21 AM
jrossbeck

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allen254
I don't get your comment i own a fuji and ridden other brand bikes and honestly fuji seems to be the best price and quality. your are just paying for the name trek
I already clarified my statement earlier. The original question listed three Fuji models and three Trek models which the poster wanted comparisons on. The "best equipped" of the three Fuji models was similar to the "worst equipped" of the three Trek models. It was not N apples to apples line up from the two brands.

My reply was simply that - saying the Fujis listed were a better "bargain bike" because they were much lower in cost and got you on the road at a small budget. The Treks were better bikes because they had nicer specs, but would require more $ up front to get on the road. If you read my post in context I thought the user was trying to decide on a budget to work with.

I'm not one of the folks here for a brand war.
Old 07-23-15, 07:52 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
The reason I posted my watts was to stress two points:
* It's more about the engine than the bike, especially when you are starting out and at that price point.
* I'm not a lightweight, and the the stress levels related to sprinting very hard could flag lesser frames, but the Fuji handles it well, with good power transfer to the wheels. It's snappy.

In all honesty I'd probably be happy too if I had gotten a Trek first. My Fuji is my first bike; I bought it to train and to discover what I want and don't want in a "better" bike if I ever get to the point of wanting/needing to upgrade.

Ride what suits you and makes you happy.
Old 07-23-15, 08:03 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
What is "the real deal"? Why are you so fixated on the Trek vs Fuji when you've never ridden either one and there are dozens of other brands to consider all with comparable bikes? There is something fishy about you. Either you are a troll or you are going about the search for your first bike completely the wrong way. It seems like you picked one bike out of a hat because its the only brand name youve heard of. Have you heard of Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, Ridley, Focus, Felt? If you visit some shops you may find those and more that have comparable bikes at similar price points. And again,if you are looking at aluminum might as well check out Cannondale since they have mastered and perfected aluminum like no other brand has
Old 07-23-15, 08:04 AM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
The reason I posted my watts was to stress two points:
* It's more about the engine than the bike, especially when you are starting out and at that price point.
* I'm not a lightweight, and the the stress levels related to sprinting very hard could flag lesser frames, but the Fuji handles it well, with good power transfer to the wheels. It's snappy.

In all honesty I'd probably be happy too if I had gotten a Trek first. My Fuji is my first bike; I bought it to train and to discover what I want and don't want in a "better" bike if I ever get to the point of wanting/needing to upgrade.

Ride what suits you and makes you happy.
Serious question--what's a lesser frame than the Fuji? I can't think of too many. Motobecane? Obviously we aren't even considering stuff like Walmart bikes so that goes without saying. Of bikes that someone who wants to get into cycling would actually buy, what is a lesser frame?
Old 07-23-15, 08:46 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Serious question--what's a lesser frame than the Fuji? I can't think of too many. Motobecane? Obviously we aren't even considering stuff like Walmart bikes so that goes without saying. Of bikes that someone who wants to get into cycling would actually buy, what is a lesser frame?
What makes one frame better than another? I know guys racing and winning Cat 1 races on open mold Chinese carbon frames that cost $5-600 and are 950 g. Those guys probably put down more watts than all of us combined and their frames are not falling apart.

There are weight differences, material, geo, tube shape etc. For the record, I have never owned a Fuji but I know a couple of people with newer Roubaix and Sportif and the frames look nice to me for the money. They have nice clean welds that almost look like a carbon bike on part with some of the nicer aluminum frames on the market. I also know people with Bikesdirect bikes. Their aluminum tends to be heavier and have big ugly welds but I don't know anyone who's frame has broken
Old 07-23-15, 09:14 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait, one person on here has said that Fuji is too cheap to buy, because they had a bad experience with their Fuji. There are 4 or 5 people on here that are saying that they have a Fuji, and it is a great bike. If you discounted every bike branc because of one person that had a bad experience with the brand, then you wouldn't be able to buy a bike.

All those of us who have Fuji's are saying is to include it in your road tests, with other brands such as Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Raleigh, etc.

It sounds like one of two things: 1. You either made up your mind to buy the Trek based on marketing, since you haven't test ridden any bikes. or 2. You're Alias530 with a different userid, that started this thread just so you could bash Fuji. If you're not, then I don't understand why you're listening to him more than 4 or 5 other people that are saying that an intro Fuji bike is just as good as an intro Trek bike.
GH
Old 07-23-15, 09:21 AM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What makes one frame better than another? I know guys racing and winning Cat 1 races on open mold Chinese carbon frames that cost $5-600 and are 950 g. Those guys probably put down more watts than all of us combined and their frames are not falling apart.

There are weight differences, material, geo, tube shape etc. For the record, I have never owned a Fuji but I know a couple of people with newer Roubaix and Sportif and the frames look nice to me for the money. They have nice clean welds that almost look like a carbon bike on part with some of the nicer aluminum frames on the market. I also know people with Bikesdirect bikes. Their aluminum tends to be heavier and have big ugly welds but I don't know anyone who's frame has broken
Where to begin... weight, stiffness, aerodynamic, comfort, durability.

A good frame will be all of those. Bigger companies like Trek can afford more thorough R&D and build up the carbon where it matters to get both a stiff and lightweight frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.