Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Make a specialized Allez fit like a Domane?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 04:05 PM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Have a Domane 56cm and I need another bike for the trainer so I can put my Domane back on the road. There is a Specialized Allez at 56cm nearby on CL. Can I make an Allez pretty similar to a Domany on short money, so I can have a nearly similar experience on road as off? I asked my LBS and they said it would take a lot of work, but I know he wants to sell me a new bike, so I thought I'd ask for a different opinion
Old 04-10-23, 04:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/t...allez-2021-56/

This link compares a 56cm in each bike. The Allez is indeed a bit different. It shows what might need to be changed to make them match.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 04-10-23 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-10-23, 04:28 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Since you are not going to care about head angle if one bike is going on the trainer looks like all it would take to make them similar in feel is get the correct length stem with the correct angle adjust spacers accordingly.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 04-10-23, 05:23 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Since you are not going to care about head angle if one bike is going on the trainer looks like all it would take to make them similar in feel is get the correct length stem with the correct angle adjust spacers accordingly.
I agree all it takes is a new stem, but you need one more thing: a new bike shop.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 04-10-23, 05:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
You should be able to make it fit and work, or , you could look for a used AL Domane rim brake frame to make it a trainer bike. Then you could find some used parts to put it together. Would not have to worry about anything fancy, would just need a front wheel and the drive train, you could even pick up some Microshift to reduce cost and you dont even need brakes.

Old 04-10-23, 05:36 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by asgelle
I agree all it takes is a new stem, but you need one more thing: a new bike shop.
I wonder if the bike shop did not know he was planing to just stick it on the trainer.

The head angle on the allez is 1.6 steeper. That's noticeable.
Old 04-10-23, 06:50 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I wonder if the bike shop did not know he was planing to just stick it on the trainer.

The head angle on the allez is 1.6 steeper. That's noticeable.
It can be a hard thing to get across. I needed my trainer bike built up without, for example, brakes, and it took a few minutes to communicate the goal.
Old 04-12-23, 03:35 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Does the head tube angle affect the fit? I get that it changes the handling, but the question seems to be getting a "similar" fit between the two bikes. Even with different HTA's this doesn't seem that difficult.

I'm not a bike fitting arguer/expert, genuinely curious about this. I have two bikes with different frame geometry (including different head tube angles) and have been able to get them pretty close in terms of contact points, but they're not exact. Close enough for what I need though.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-12-23, 08:24 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Does the head tube angle affect the fit? I get that it changes the handling, but the question seems to be getting a "similar" fit between the two bikes. Even with different HTA's this doesn't seem that difficult.

I'm not a bike fitting arguer/expert, genuinely curious about this. I have two bikes with different frame geometry (including different head tube angles) and have been able to get them pretty close in terms of contact points, but they're not exact. Close enough for what I need though.
Head tube angle can be got around with a stem if the bike is on a stationary trainer. Stem come in different lengths and angles. for stationary bike he could even get an adjustable stem since you are less concerned about weight or aero etc..

I would not trust one of these on gravel bike while bombing some crazy single track. On stationary bike trainer yes.

Old 04-13-23, 06:56 PM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I ended up passing on the Allez anyway. I'm looking to get a new upgrade road bike, and move the Domane to permanent trainer status.
Old 04-13-23, 07:15 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21
I ended up passing on the Allez anyway. I'm looking to get a new upgrade road bike, and move the Domane to permanent trainer status.
I like the way you think
Likes For SpedFast: