Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 12:59 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by Bergz
I've cleaned up and overhauled this Worldrider Sigma. Replaced pitted bb axle with a Dura-Ace and new grease everywhere else.
New owner has just taken it away. These were made in New Zealand, actually brazed, painted and assembled here.
Wow! Does glow in the dark?!
Old 06-29-23, 01:03 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1
Wow! Does glow in the dark?!
Haha! No, it's not florescent paint but certainly looks like it. You'll always be able to find it when amongst other bicycles.
Old 06-29-23, 02:03 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
Did a cleaning and some maintenance on my bike. Also installed the newly acquired Panto bits .

Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-29-23, 04:30 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts
Found a complete but horribly neglected Univega Alpina Uno on FB marketplace recently. I believe it's an '83 (first year of production) but haven't confirmed that yet. Appeared to be mostly original aside from a replaced (mismatched) front brake lever, and a fresh pair of Tioga PowerBlock tires.

It's a child sized frame, and takes 24" wheels. I wouldn't normally consider buying such a bike but the price was fair and I wanted the cantilevers and thumbies for a Trek I'd been anxious to put together.

So yea, now I have this dirty, old, sun bleached contraption laying around, and I'm looking at it and thinking "this might be a fun project!"

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 06-29-23 at 04:35 PM. Reason: annoying typo
Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 06-29-23, 04:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Blues
Found a complete but horribly neglected Univega Alpina Uno on FB marketplace recently. I believe it's an '83 (first year of production) but haven't confirmed that yet. Appeared to be mostly original aside from a replaced (mismatched) front brake lever, and a fresh pair of Tioga PowerBlock tires.

It's a child sized frame, and takes 24" wheels. I wouldn't normally consider buying such a bike but the price was fair and I wanted the cantilevers and thumbies for a Trek I'd been anxious to put together.

So yea, now I have this dirty, old, sun bleached contraption laying around, and I'm looking at it and thinking "this might be a fun project!"

Non Unibrow fork, huge plus IMO, too bad its so small.
Old 06-29-23, 04:41 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I finished rehabbing a 1992 Trek 830 Antelope. It's a good basic MTB in nice condition. I like the color scheme on this bike. Yeah it has mismatched wheels and tires but it is functionally in nice shape.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-29-23, 04:51 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Non Unibrow fork, huge plus IMO, too bad its so small.
Fully agree, my friend. At least with regard to to fork crown. As far as its small sized goes, I'm not too disappointed. I think that a pretty cool little bomber can be built out of this stock, cheap and easy. Might set it up as a 1x6 and donate it to the youth shelter.
Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 06-29-23, 04:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Fully agree, my friend. At least with regard to to fork crown. As far as its small sized goes, I'm not too disappointed. I think that a pretty cool little bomber can be built out of this stock, cheap and easy. Might set it up as a 1x6 and donate it to the youth shelter.
Yep, I figured, maybe have a short essay question or some such to sort out a worthy young C+V candidate and include some riding/wrenching guidance as well.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-29-23, 05:14 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I spent a little time today reconfiguring a rear hub to fit for a beater bike. It will be a Schwinn World Sport mixte with a single cog rear freewheel and brakes. I need to build wheels for it 27 X 1, so it was nice to be able to adjust the spacing for the hub to get to a combination of spokes that I have on hand without having to spend money for a box that I won't use otherwise. Pictures soon. Smiles, MH
Old 06-29-23, 08:22 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Picked up this Diamondback Sorrento for $15 as a parts bike for another project. I really just needed the tires but I'll use some other of the smalls for other things.
I may turn the frame into a fixed gear.

Old 06-29-23, 09:25 PM
jasoninohio

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Giving it to a kid is probably a more noble idea but my first thought was if I had to do something with that, you could do a layback seat post and BMX bars just to be goofy...
Old 06-30-23, 03:02 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
What do people here do when repairing metallic paint?
The paint shop (that sells paint) didn't want to sell me paint, because for measuring the color they need a bigger area. Should I just polish it a bit and use transparent paint to protect the metal against rust? Or should I just try to pick the right color from a website and have a guess?
What does the BF hive mind think and do about this?
It will be a rider, not a museum piece

Just received this Liberia from the 1970s last week. Today I will pick up a first batch of parts and see how far I get.

1970s Liberia (C 15 maybe)

Likes For DanseMacabre:
Old 06-30-23, 04:01 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DanseMacabre
The paint shop (that sells paint) didn't want to sell me paint, because for measuring the color they need a bigger area. Should I just polish it a bit and use transparent paint to protect the metal against rust? Or should I just try to pick the right color from a website and have a guess?

Just received this Liberia from the 1970s last week. Today I will pick up a first batch of parts and see how far I get.

Lovely frame.
I'm of the unpopular opinion that repainting of a vintage frame is not a mortal sin. Sure, if it's a bicycle that's been kept in pristine condition, or as a display piece, or has extraordinary collectors value, it is best to keep it as original, as possible. Most of the bicycles, however, were in use, sometimes stored in poor conditions. So the choice is between not so much between having it look like rubbish and looking great as between keeping it on the road vs. rusting away. If a frame needs repairs requiring brazing, repainting might be simply necessary. Then again, repainting can cost you more than the frame is worth.
With a Liberia bicycle, where they are not too common, I think it would probably be nice to keep it fairly close to original (especially when the colour is so nice). You could try taking the whole frame somewhere where they can match the paint perhaps? With small areas to touch-up, you could also try the nail varnish route or some vaguely matching paint - these are certainly the cheapest options.

I was checking various options for one of my frames, which I'm planning to send to a frame builder at some point. It's missing a front derailleur cable guide which I would like restored. This means they will have to remove the paint from the BB shell and braze on a new cable guide, so I thought I might ask them to strip the whole paint and put a new one. The company I was checking offers custom colours (and I understand they can restore the original one or get very close to it), though they were charging something extra for that.
Old 06-30-23, 05:32 AM
bikemig 

Lovely bike. Most of the original paint is in good shape. I wouldn't repaint this. I'd ask the paint shop to try to get close to this color or just do you best picking a color from the web. That way the bike will look how a 50 year old bike should look.
Old 06-30-23, 06:14 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
I would build up that Liberia the way it is , after a coat of wax. Then, ride it a while before making the decision. My bike was in a similar state when I bought it , only it was a complete bike. I rode it for about a year , then I liked it so much , decided to have it painted / restored.
Old 06-30-23, 08:57 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
I was working on my Autumn / rainy weather bicycle. Some time ago I decided to get it all (or nearly all) 600EX, since it already had FC-6207 crankset and 600EX SIS derailleurs. I already had BL-6207 brake levers (though I was Using Weinmann Carrera ones with Weinmann Vainqueur centre pull brakes), so got some 600EX hubs (and built the wheels on them ladt week) and a MF-6208 freewheel and standard reach 6207 brake calipers. The calipers I got came with original Shimano pads, but in poor condition. I've managed to source genuine replacements, unfortunately, as it transpired, the retaining tabs on these Shimano brake shoes don't like to be bent out. Despite taking all precautions, one of them snapped. So there goes my plan of keeping the brakes in their original shape. A bit of a shame, but there we are. Thankfully, had some Jagwire brake pads, so looks like these will be used instead. I originally got them to replace Suntour pads on another bicycle, but thankfully sanding down and cleaning old Suntour pads was sufficient.
Everything is slowly coming together. I also found out one of the brakes cables was frayed, so good job I ordered a whole bunch recently. New cotton tape is already waiting for the brake levers to be replaced. Now I need to figure out where I put the ferrules for Shimano levers. On the bright side, found also some time to overhaul a spare 6 speed Shimano freelwheel. Runs very nice now and it's definitely much better made than what they currently make.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 06-30-23, 10:41 AM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
Thank you for the comments about paint. I will try to see if nail varnish is an option. Otherwise looking on the internet for some color that looks similar might be the way to go.
Old 06-30-23, 05:38 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
I've been working on a parts bin drop bar conversion of my Stumpjumper Sport, with hopes of riding a local gravel event in early October.

Old 06-30-23, 10:40 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
Been working on the Fisher Montare.
Progress so far.....Quick pics. I haven't tried detailing yet. It rides nicely. Very comfy. Still undecided on the handlebar stem and bar ends.
Opinions on adding a front suspension or leave the stock fork. The brakes, stem, front rim, and handlebar are all not original.
I have the Manitou 4 fork in the wings that has no home.

Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 07-01-23, 06:59 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Cabled this back up last night.

Old 07-01-23, 07:12 AM
wheelgofar

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
--

Last edited by wheelgofar; 07-14-23 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-01-23, 08:19 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Omg the mixie above is lovely, thanks for sharing

Last edited by Mr. 66; 07-01-23 at 01:27 PM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 07-01-23, 11:13 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Straightblock
I've been working on a parts bin drop bar conversion of my Stumpjumper Sport, with hopes of riding a local gravel event in early October.

Fun build. I've been riding my 90s Specialized drop bar conversion Stumpjumper lately. I use it for non-technical single track and gravel as well as general path riding.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-01-23, 12:58 PM
merziac

Thank you for the comments about paint. I will try to see if nail varnish is an option. Otherwise looking on the internet for some color that looks similar might be the way to go.
This is literally a dark art, you really need to have the bike and the other right in front of you, computers do not accurately show color, they can often be several shades off and look very close from here.

You can try and find another paint shop that will try but it can be a crap shoot for them too.
Old 07-01-23, 01:40 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I finished rehabbing a 1992 Trek 830 Antelope. It's a good basic MTB in nice condition. I like the color scheme on this bike. Yeah it has mismatched wheels and tires but it is functionally in nice shape.

They were some of the best Trek made bikes using True Temper tubing, nice bike nevertheless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.