Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Really Aggravating Creaks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 08:06 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts

I've been commuting 12 months a year for 3+ years on a belt drive cycle with a hydro-formed aluminum frame. The belt drive train with IGH hub is inherently pretty quiet and when the cycle was new I became addicted to the whisper-quiet experience of this setup. Eventually of course as the gritty Boston miles piled up, little creaks and groans developed here and there, and I beat them down with the usual cleaning, lubricating, and tightening that is required to keep things ship-shape. That was until this spring, when I met Creak-zilla.

It began innocently enough, with a little cre-eak as I pedaled while on the saddle, but it seemed every thing that I did to resolve the issue was answered with a louder creak, until I reached the point that I had to re-read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to remain stable. The thin-walled aluminum frame became an amplifier of course, broadcasting my mechanical failures to the world.

Over the period of a month I went through the following steps unsuccessfully:
1. Cleaned and lubricated seat-post and saddle rails
2. Cleaned and partially replaced bottom bracket
3. Replaced/swapped seat-post and saddle
4. Removed, cleaned and reinstalled fenders and rack.
The creaking became louder still.

It was then that I remembered the little frame widget that is unscrewed to allow the drive belt to slide through the rear triangle when it is replaced. The widget seemed snug, but I removed, cleaned, lubricated and re-installed it, which totally did the trick. Now the cycle purrs like a kitten again and I wish that I had tried out this fix first!

What is your most agonizing creak, either solved or unsolved??
Old 06-17-18, 08:30 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I never had a creak the size of Boston, just a small one that was not solvable. I finally concluded it was in the frame itself, where the seat tube was reduced in size at the top by pressing in a smaller tube and welding.

I love a quiet bike.
Old 06-17-18, 10:10 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Seat rails, but not in the clamp... where the rails attach to the underside (plastic) base of the saddle.

It was rhythmic, so I figured it had to be power related. I rebuilt the pedals and swapped in a new bottom bracket. It wasn’t my first creak so I knew it could be the seat post or clamp so I swapped the post BUT KEPT THE SADDLE. I had almost come to terms with the notion of just living with it then one day I was in my garage and flipped the bike over and when the saddle hit the floor it made the slightest little squeak. I rocked the bike back and forth and heard nothing. I leaned my weight on it while rocking back and forth and BINGO!

A little chain lube where the rails meet the plastic and all is right with the universe. It’s a Specialized Phenom that I still have and is my absolute favorite saddle. Every several months it dries out and starts creaking again until I hit it with the lube.

Good times.

-Kedosto
Old 06-17-18, 11:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The one that drives me nuts is clicks, which usually seem to be the pedal bearings
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-18-18, 12:32 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Tick of my saddle bag buckle on my rack.
Old 06-18-18, 05:33 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
My Brooks saddle creaks a bit...and had a little pop in the nose that I mostly cured by oiling down the leather where it meets the metal frame. Had me wondering for a while if my ISO-speed bushings (Domane) were showing wear.
Old 06-18-18, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Back in the early '90s I picked up an old Schwinn Varsity for $15 at a garage sale to learn bicycle maintenance, and keep me from messin' with my main commuter. There was a creak that got louder and louder until one day it revealed itself to be the frame when the down tube broke at the head tube. I was still able to ride it a mile home and toss it in the dumpster.
Old 06-18-18, 07:15 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Headset on a department store Huffy, solved by leaving it leaning against a tree until someone rode off with it.
Old 06-18-18, 09:11 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Internal Di2 or brake cable rattling in the down tube (still there). How many tubes of lube will it take to silence that one?
Old 06-19-18, 07:33 AM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After puting a front rim brake on my bike, I would hear a rubbing noise at the front when turning.

At first I thought I had my brakes too close to the rim, but it was in fact my shifter cable finding its way onto the tire.
​​
Old 06-19-18, 05:58 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Headset on a department store Huffy, solved by leaving it leaning against a tree until someone rode off with it.
Love it. Thanks for the laugh.

-Kedosto
Old 06-19-18, 07:41 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Internal Di2 or brake cable rattling in the down tube (still there). How many tubes of lube will it take to silence that one?
1 can of Great Stuff.
Old 06-19-18, 07:50 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Had a few special creaks and rattles:
An aluminum chainring bolt whose head was slowly creeping off.

A Dura-Ace seatpost whose head wasn’t fully bonded to the shaft.

A few titanium external cam skewers that needed to be tighter than their handles were designed for.

Stress-cracked fenders.

The zipper pull on a seat bag tapping against a seatstay.

Old 06-27-18, 12:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

The agulet on my shoelace hitting the down tube.
Current aggravation is a subtle rubbing sensation that I feel in the pedals. Pedals? BB? My imagination? Either way, it's been there since I've had the bike. Mostly I ignore it.
Old 06-27-18, 01:27 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My front brake would rub intermittenly on the rotor after completing a build ... drove me nuts. Found the enemy, and as usual, it was me. Turns out, the brakes will rub with one of the brake adapter bolts in your pocket. The rear brake adapter didn't come with the bolts, so I had taken one off the front to bring to the hardware store.
Old 06-27-18, 02:50 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I was riding my bike and it started making some horrible creaking/shuddering noise. Turned out my bottom bracket had rusted out and my frame was no longer welded together at the joint by the bottom bracket...
Old 06-28-18, 09:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
I have a tick in my cranks that I have tolerated for months, and I know better. The trouble is, it happens only under load, so I can't find it on the repair stand. I need to take everything apart, and I'm putting it off.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-28-18, 09:53 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have a tick in my cranks that I have tolerated for months, and I know better. The trouble is, it happens only under load, so I can't find it on the repair stand. I need to take everything apart, and I'm putting it off.
Don't you just love that?? I've had weird noises under load, and the mechanic puts it on a stand and is all, 'No, everything sounds fine.' ::facepalm::
Old 06-28-18, 11:00 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
There's a creek in a neighboring county that is too wide a deep to cross without a bridge, but over the years the county has abandoned or removed several of the lesser-used bridges but the maps haven't all been updated, so it's not unusual to be exploring a country road that you think will cross the creek and end up having to backtrack and add several miles until you find a bridge. That's a really annoying creek.

Old 06-28-18, 11:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
Well at least I didn't have the frustration of having a mechanic telling me there's no problem. I am tempted to have one take a look. I'm hesitant, clearly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.