Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just my situation.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just my situation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 11:26 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Just my situation.

While I would love to be able to utilize and justify some of the beautiful pro level equipment I see on this Forum I have to be realistic. I have found that a flat bar bike with a 30* raised stem, an ARS split seat, cushioned, and bike tires inflated to 65lbs. is a comfortable and stable setup for me. I have also found that with a cushioned seat the front needed to be tipped down one click from level as my butt sinks into the cushion and if left level actually ends up being tipped up. Again, this works for me and I like it. I wish I was back thirty years ago on my old Columbia Road bike but more to the point I wish my body would allow me to be back on my old Columbia. I guess the quote, "A man has to know his limitations" is all to appropriate for me at this point in my life. Not Trying to be the hero, just want to enjoy riding for as long as I can.
Be safe all, Frank.

P/s: Toe clips on order.

Old 07-09-18, 11:36 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike. Choose the best bike for the kind of riding you do. I'm an older recreational cyclist. I converted a road bike into a hybrid by changing the handlebars and shifters. It really fits me and the way I use the bike better than a conventional road bike. It's also lighter and more "performance capable" than a conventional hybrid. I ride in traffic and on busy roads as well as on longer rides of 50 miles or so. I do have a lighter and faster road bike, but it's much less comfortable so I don't ride it often.
Old 07-09-18, 12:23 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Vermont. We loved to go to Vermont in the fall. We would go up through Troy NY and just try to get lost. Then let the GPS find our way back home in Central NY. Beautiful country and wish I could go there now. Living in NC but my heart is still in the North.
Thanks for the response and be safe, Frank.

A stream in Vt.

Beautiful country. Shot a lot of images there.
Old 07-09-18, 02:21 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I have ridden my Ducati through the Adirondacks and VT for decades. Love that area of the country. Just came back from a 3-day trip with 3 friends to Racquette Lake. Awesome area of the country.
Old 07-09-18, 04:23 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beautiful bike. I have a similar bike from a different manufacturer and enjoy riding it with my wife who has one as well. I guess it’s best to have a bike that’s a joy to ride, which motivates me to ride more. Thanks for sharing the pics. My wife and I hope to get up that way on vacation someday.
Old 07-10-18, 09:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
nice pedals
Old 07-10-18, 10:22 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice pedals
Fresh!
Old 07-10-18, 10:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Vermont. We loved to go to Vermont in the fall.
Last month I did a self-contained tour from St. Albans, VT to Philadelphia. Spent nights in Burlington, near Fair Haven, Dorset and just outside of Brattleboro. I attended high school in Deerfield, MA. (The tour coincided with my 35th reunion). Used to hike and canoe in VT. And rode across the state while crossing the county back in '99 and did a week-long supported loop tour from/to Burlington up through the Northeast Kingdom back in 2010.

The first quarry ever opened in America was in Dorset, VT. It's now a public swimming hole.
Old 07-11-18, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Since you had another thread about bike shorts, realize that if you ever get them then that cushioned seat might be an issue with them. The chamois and the seat cushioning are bound to work against each other for all but the shortest of rides.

Even when I wore those old loose fitting shorts with no chamois that I told you about in the other thread, I found that hard covered saddles with virtually no cushioning felt better on long rides and didn't seem promote chaffing as did the cushioned ones.

Pretty bike. Glad you like bright colors too!
Old 07-11-18, 04:13 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Iride01
Since you had another thread about bike shorts, realize that if you ever get them then that cushioned seat might be an issue with them. The chamois and the seat cushioning are bound to work against each other for all but the shortest of rides.

Even when I wore those old loose fitting shorts with no chamois that I told you about in the other thread, I found that hard covered saddles with virtually no cushioning felt better on long rides and didn't seem promote chaffing as did the cushioned ones.

Pretty bike. Glad you like bright colors too!
As far as the bike color goes, there was a bike shop going out of business here and the discount was too good to pass up. Unfortunately the only medium frame, flat bar, bike left was this rather BRIGHT color. The only other bike in my sights at the store was one level up but a large frame that was just that much to much. It was ORANGE so one way or the other I was going to be seen on the road. As far as the seat goes: I went out for a ride today, only about 15 miles, with a lighter pair of athletic shorts and found the seat to be part of the problem. Also, with a temp. of 97* it was a very wet clothing ride. I switched back to the Cannondale seat that came with the bike and it was considerably more comfortable so now I have to go on a search for a center cutout seat that is more rigid than the soft seat that I have but will not break the bank. My search goes on.
Thanks again for all the information, Frank.