Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

trigger finger

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-23, 03:29 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
trigger finger

A few years ago I would get a random trigger finger a few times a year out of the blue. A few months ago it become frequent to every time I wake up from a nights rest I had it. It would mostly go away after being up after several hours. Now I have it all day for the last week.

Going to stop biking and lifting weights for a week or two and see if that helps. Trying to see if sleeping with a splint helps at all. Going a little stir crazy not being able to bike and lift weights.

Anything worked for you?
Old 10-17-23, 12:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Never had it. For other hand issues on the bike, doing stuff to strengthen my grip seemed to help. I might think that if you are weight lifting and doing other stuff in the gym, then you might be getting enough hand exercise. Maybe not.

If you know a physical therapist or physiotherapist, they might have some ideas. Particularly since you have the trigger finger already and not giving that time to recover could cause some permanent issues.

Maybe someone that has a better medical knowledge will answer. I'm just winging it and can only say I've watched doctors on TV! <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-17-23, 01:10 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I had carpel tunnel and trigger finger develop and bother me for over a year, quite badly. I found out I had celiac disease, as a result of pursuing other complications. Once I quit the wheat gluten consumption the hand issues resolved.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 10-17-23, 01:12 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
You'll probably get better results from consulting a hand surgeon than from staying off the bike. I've forgotten the cause, but I've had a number of trigger fingers and thumbs. They just kept getting worse. A hand surgeon will probably inject a steroid into your hand. If that doesn't work well enough, the surgical approach is very minor outpatient surgery. I don't know what the treatment is if that doesn't work.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 10-17-23, 01:52 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Sean.hwy,
My experience with trigger finger started with occasional bout and mild symptoms. Early on it wasn't painful per se, just noticeable. Then it graduated over several years to all the time and it triggers more pronounced with some pain. I had one finger on each hand surgically fixed (while having carpal tunnel repair) 2-3 years ago. The surgery fix has lasted so far. Since then I've had other fingers injected with steroid and that lasts 6 months or so, for me. My symptoms act the same as yours, worse upon waking and better after a few hours, but definitely still there. Hand surgeons, or in rare cases Internists can treat this. Time off the bike didn't help me. I spent 3 weeks in europe (this past summer) without riding or doing any exercise, except a lot of walking, and my trigger finger(s) were no better. I am going to have knee replacement soon and I will probably get the doc to inject two more fingers so I won't have to deal with that also, it's time. The injections have given me relief in just a day or so.
Good luck with yours.
Tailwinds,
Charlie
Likes For Chancy:
Old 11-14-23, 11:35 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
A few years ago I would get a random trigger finger a few times a year out of the blue. A few months ago it become frequent to every time I wake up from a nights rest I had it. It would mostly go away after being up after several hours. Now I have it all day for the last week.

Going to stop biking and lifting weights for a week or two and see if that helps. Trying to see if sleeping with a splint helps at all. Going a little stir crazy not being able to bike and lift weights.

Anything worked for you?
Mechanistically, it is a disease related to your tendons, specifically the sheeth of tendon when inflamed for any reason, will make it difficult for the tendon of affected finger to slide through the sheets. There are multiple reasons for this to happen, including gripping things with a great deal of force repeatedly, arthritis and other conditions that might cause inflammation.

In early stages, general anti-inflammatory drugs may help, such as Naproxen. But before using any anti inflammatory drugs (even off the shelf), consult your physician who would advise you what may be the best alternative based on interactions with other drugs you might be using and your overall health. In the context of Naproxen, your renal function must be normal or very close to normal because this drug can affect renal function at high doses. The next line of treatment is to inject steroid locally. Steroids are remarkable in controlling inflammation. Finally, there is corrective surgery by a hand/plastic surgeon.
If you do not wait for too long, it is a very manageable condition without surgical interventions… and even with surgery, it’s an outpatient procedure and you go home the same day.

I would suggest you see your primary care physician to evaluate your condition who, depending on the severity of your condition, might prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs and send you to an occupational therapist or to a surgeon.

Good luck!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-14-23, 11:59 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Mechanistically, it is a disease related to your tendons, specifically the sheeth of tendon when inflamed for any reason, will make it difficult for the tendon of affected finger to slide through the sheets. There are multiple reasons for this to happen, including gripping things with a great deal of force repeatedly, arthritis and other conditions that might cause inflammation.

In early stages, general anti-inflammatory drugs may help, such as Naproxen. But before using any anti inflammatory drugs (even off the shelf), consult your physician who would advise you what may be the best alternative based on interactions with other drugs you might be using and your overall health. In the context of Naproxen, your renal function must be normal or very close to normal because this drug can affect renal function at high doses. The next line of treatment is to inject steroid locally. Steroids are remarkable in controlling inflammation. Finally, there is corrective surgery by a hand/plastic surgeon.
If you do not wait for too long, it is a very manageable condition without surgical interventions… and even with surgery, it’s an outpatient procedure and you go home the same day.

I would suggest you see your primary care physician to evaluate your condition who, depending on the severity of your condition, might prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs and send you to an occupational therapist or to a surgeon.

Good luck!

thank you helpful information
Old 11-15-23, 05:32 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Had TF twice in the last three years. Same finger; ring, first on right hand (dominant) then more recently the left. Brought to the attention of my PCP she recommended seeing a hand DR. In both instances the – so far – permanent cure was a steroid injection at the site of the inflamed tendon sheath, what Alan_K describes in his post.

More recently I've been diagnosed with reduced RoM from arthritic degradation of the joints on my left hand's thumb: "There are degenerative changes involving the first interphalangeal, MCP and carpometacarpal joint with narrowing of the joint spaces and periarticular osteophyte formation." I'm going for therapy once a week for that, the TF hasn't returned.

Thinking yourself younger than your age in years only goes so far! Your body will let you know if you're paying attention.
Old 11-15-23, 06:26 AM
dsonyay

Bikes: 2002 Madwagon, CAAD9, BMC Roadmachine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
My experience: I had a bad enough case years ago.. ended up with surgery.. there is a tendon the rides through a sleeve.. there is a small slit made to the sleeve and the inflamed tendon can then move through or into it. Worked great after surgery.

initially the dr tried a steroid shot. It worked well for a few weeks, but then came back. It was so bad I couldn’t unlock my finger without a lot of pain.

there is a homeopathic way that might work: Use a wooden stick (like a popsicle stick) and tape it against the finger so that it wont allow the finger to bend. Leave it like that a couple weeks .. this may allow the inflammation to heal on its own.

since my surgery— I’ve had a couple of other areas pop up. But not bad enough to do anything yet. Goes away in a couple hours after waking. Getting old.
Old 11-15-23, 01:56 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
thank you helpful information
You are quite welcome!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-15-23, 02:01 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by spclark

Thinking yourself younger than your age in years only goes so far! Your body will let you know if you're paying attention.
Indeed, for several years now, my mind and body have had their differences of opinions and body has issued a few rather stern notices that need heeding! 😉