Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Be diligent in selecting Home Health Care

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23, 09:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts

the thread on growing old got me thinking, and decided to pass this tid-bit on.

Staying with 87 yo FiL while he rehabs from 7 weeks of ICU/Hosp/Rehab. Home health nurse visits a week ago, and is face mask hesitant even tho her patient is just out of rehab, still on 2 liters O2 24/7, with chest congestion and nebulized breathing treatments twice daily. The 2nd visit, I have to remind her again and she becomes confrontational when told it is a household requirement for all visitors.

you don't want to hear the details of the interaction, I stayed 10 feet away from her 'space'. Just be reminded that there are a lot of bad/ burned out/ intolerant people in Home Health Care. They seem to get the personnel fallout from more intensive care institutions. I have made this input to her home health care agency thru their Contact Us. Heard nothing in 48 hours, so i gave them Zero stars online review with calm, accurate info. They lost a customer. Never have I had a confrontational interaction with a health care professional over something as minor as putting on a mask. Protect our seniors, who are vulnerable.
Old 12-15-23, 12:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
I was in a (sucky) rehab facility for all of February and Mach of this year. There were some pretty bad nurses and aides. Some pretty bad doctors as well, when I had the "privilege" of actually getting to talk to them.

There was really only one D.O. that I liked. She did some really important things for me when everyone else wouldn't. I left a scathing, graphic review of the place on Google. I was later contacted and interviewed by a lawyer in TX who is representing a former patient in a lawsuit against the place.

But I don't think this is limited to the area of health care. Post-pandemic, I have noticed a marked decline in many areas. I was a fairly upscale Italian restaurant two nights ago. After eating, I asked the server if there was any grappa. She responded "Grappo?" I had to explain what it was. She said she would check and then seemed to remember that the place had an extensive liquor menu, which she then brought me. There were at least a half dozen varieties of grappa on the menu. Seems like poor training and/or an unwillingness to learn the job.

Earlier this week, there was a delivery guy in the lobby of my 4-story office building. He asked me where he could find Suite 400. I didn't know what else to say but "On the fourth floor." He clearly didn't know that Suite 400 would be on the 4th floor. He then asked me how he could get to the fourth floor. We were standing 15' away from the two clearly visible elevators.

I speak with a lot of customer service people on the phone. Lots of clueless people out there who have poor listening skills and don't seem to care about doing their jobs well. I am guessing the labor shortage allows these people to keep their jobs.
Old 12-15-23, 01:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
The home health care people we hired for my brother were the worst, and that was in the before times. Not sure how you can do any better though.
Old 12-15-23, 01:36 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
There is no excuse for health care providers not doing their jobs. Unfortunately you have to bring it to their attention. Often to many short cuts too often cause improper treatments and interactions to become the norm. Remember you do need to be diplomatic. People are no longer used to being corrected or reminded of even simple and small mistakes in performance. Especially younger generations. All in all, stand your ground, make them do their job.

Last week I was at my MD Anderson Cancer Center follow up. Needless to say everyone there wears a mask. Wheel chairs, O2 canisters, weak and barely surviving patients under advanced treatments abound. And yet I saw some Yahoo making a fuss about wearing a mask at the entrance. What? Is this Civil Disobedience or Social Protest? Either way I saw what appeared to be a thin crumpled geezer with a veterans cap, being pushed in a wheel chair, remove his O2 mask and point his cain at the guy a say, Put on the sucking mask...

Its not just in health care. I see a loss of social interaction and skills across the board. I live in a rural area so hearing yes mam or no sir from a question, or eye contact with those around you is common. Not so when I am in the city. In the city there is not even common eye contact unless its by confrontation. It would appear that social skills have become another squashed victim of over population.

Rats... Help... Stop me... I am on a RANT...
Sorry...
Merry Christmas...
Old 12-22-23, 08:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Quickie follow-up.

Found out the physical therapist and occupational therapist - both excellent - are affiliated with the same agency as the nurse whom I objected to. Package deal - some great, some marginal care providers. Oh Well, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?