Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Trailer + kid + helmet question

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 07:23 AM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have picked up a used Chariot off craigslist a few weeks ago and tried putting the little one in it the other day. I am using a helmet we picked up at the local Performance https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400150__400150 and it fits him. He's a few weeks away from being a year old and his head is 18.25". My issue is that when he has the helmet on and it's snug, the back of the helmet sticks out back, pushing it against the netting of the trailer, which itself is pretty snug, making his head pushed forward. I am curious if anyone else has had this issue and what the solution might be. I called Chariot and they were not of any help.
Old 07-27-13, 09:36 AM
Turbo231

Bikes: Trek 800, Free Spirit Town and Country, 80's Norco Nomad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what to say without seeing the helmet, but you might want to go back and look at helmets with having the kid in a trailer in mind. I know in my bike seat my LO holds her head up, so the back of her helmet is moot for fit, but in her trailer she always rests her head back.
Old 07-27-13, 05:53 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With a child not yet 1-y-o, I'd be as concerned about the child's neck muscles -- strong enough to hold up the head WITH helmet on?
Old 07-27-13, 09:17 PM
Turbo231

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
With a child not yet 1-y-o, I'd be as concerned about the child's neck muscles -- strong enough to hold up the head WITH helmet on?
This is true, the start date for kids to have enough head power for that is 1 yo and its not a much the helmet as the bumps and forces a bike puts on their head.

We started at 1 YO and she was almost exclusively in the bike seat. Now my LO is 2 and quiet comfortable in the bike seat or the trailer although she prefers the trailer, mostly because she can play with her toys in it while I haul her around. Also if she falls asleep, I can let her finish her nap where the bike seat it too unstable without me on the bike.
Old 07-28-13, 05:56 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
I didn't bother with a helmet for the kids while in the trailer until around 18-20 months, both because of concerns with neck strain and difficult fitting, but also because it was very hard for me to imagine a scenario where they might hurt their head; falling branches, maybe? There are no rockslides in my area.
Old 07-28-13, 09:52 AM
Turbo231

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I didn't bother with a helmet for the kids while in the trailer until around 18-20 months, both because of concerns with neck strain and difficult fitting, but also because it was very hard for me to imagine a scenario where they might hurt their head; falling branches, maybe? There are no rockslides in my area.
The scenarios are pretty far, but I'd figure the biggest threats to a trailer would be car hits or overturning.
Old 07-28-13, 01:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Yeah, I dunno. I've been pulling kids in trailers for 6 years now-- on roads mostly, but also sidewalks, group rides, and even light trails-- and the most dangerous situation I've come across is vigorous jostling and tossing about of the kids over rough terrain. It's almost impossible to flip a trailer unless you were to do something absolutely nuts, and I've never-- knock on wood-- been in anything close to danger with a car.

The way kids get jostled could, I suppose, recommend for or against helmet use, but I figured that for young ones just holding their heads up, the extra weight was not good in that circumstance.
Old 07-29-13, 09:42 AM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had/have the same problem our Burleys. Eventually their little necks get strong enough that the netting doesn't push their heads forward. Personally, I don't see a lot of reason for a helmet inside the trailer. Even if you tip it over, the frame protects them.
Old 07-29-13, 09:30 PM
Turbo231

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimi77
Personally, I don't see a lot of reason for a helmet inside the trailer. Even if you tip it over, the frame protects them.
True, but somebody found a reason as most places where the law says the child must wear a helmet also include kids in trailers. Sure there is a nasty static somewhere I'm too lazy to look up.
Old 07-30-13, 08:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Turbo231
True, but somebody found a reason as most places where the law says the child must wear a helmet also include kids in trailers. Sure there is a nasty static somewhere I'm too lazy to look up.
I, on the other hand, would be surprised if there were any meaningful studies and statistics about that, and even more surprised if they informed state legislatures.
Old 07-30-13, 11:53 PM
SpookyReverb

Bikes: 2018 All-City Space Horse Disc, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, 1987 Centurion Ironman, KidzTandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We started using a helmet on our daughter in the trailer when she was, I don't know, maybe 16 months or something? Before that, we just hoped for the best...
Old 08-01-13, 11:31 AM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, few things happened since I posted the question originally

1. I got a different helmet - Specialized Small Fry, which has much less of a bump in the back.
2. We went on a 21 mile ride (out and back) and I decided not to use a helmet. the 95% of the ride was on a MUP trail and the road section was not busy at all.

The little one did great on the way down, looking around and babbling away the entire time. . On the way back he fell asleep almost right after we started out. While asleep his head was pretty much dangling near his chest so I think I am glad I didn't chose to have him wear a helmet. Awake, I think he woulda been fine, however, as I think the recomendation of 1yr is just a ballpark. He's over 11 mos and has normal development, however, I will check with the doc when he has his one year appt in about 3 weeks.