Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Before a fast group ride...

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 12:47 PM
dleccord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you guys normally take? Coffee? Energy gels? Electrolyte tablets? I'm typically well hydrated but I get cramps (on my calves) when the pace picks up around 24-25 mph. The ride isn't long, about a 1.5 hours so should I have to worry about taking Perpetuem?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-13-14, 02:54 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I eat a slightly larger breakfast and bring along an energy bar or a couple gels.
Everyone is different.
Old 05-13-14, 03:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
1.5 hours is short. Gels and water are good. Your calf cramps are from lack of training at that effort level. Do one-legged calf raises on a stair 3 times a week. One set to exhaustion is all you need to do.
Old 05-13-14, 04:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't do anything special before the ride, but I take two bottles: one water; one sports drink.
Old 05-14-14, 01:23 AM
dleccord

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
1.5 hours is short. Gels and water are good. Your calf cramps are from lack of training at that effort level. Do one-legged calf raises on a stair 3 times a week. One set to exhaustion is all you need to do.
so just the exercises? what about on the bike (should i start riding above 20+ solo)? i can barely hold 20mph for a mile at this point. i usually pace about 17mph when riding solo.

Originally Posted by caloso
I don't do anything special before the ride, but I take two bottles: one water; one sports drink.
what type of sports drink do you use? are those electrolyte tablets any good for a short and fast ride?
Old 05-14-14, 04:56 AM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the cramps thing is suspect. Unless this ride will be in 100 degree heat at high noon, I don't see any reason why you would need electrolyte supplementation.
Old 05-14-14, 05:07 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
1.5 hours is short. Gels and water are good. Your calf cramps are from lack of training at that effort level.
Originally Posted by dleccord
i can barely hold 20mph for a mile at this point. i usually pace about 17mph when riding solo.
CFB's got it. Make sure you're fueled when you leave and you shouldn't need gels, though they're helpful if you haven't eaten for a while. Water and/or sports drink should be plenty. As you get more used to the pace, the cramps will decrease until they're gone.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-14-14, 07:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by dleccord
so just the exercises? what about on the bike (should i start riding above 20+ solo)? i can barely hold 20mph for a mile at this point. i usually pace about 17mph when riding solo.

what type of sports drink do you use? are those electrolyte tablets any good for a short and fast ride?
The exercises will help and so will riding above your perceived limits. The standard coach advice is that most folks ride neither fast enough nor slow enough. Meaning that it takes some real major effort to create positive training adaptations, and also takes a major effort to ride slowly enough to get good recovery. Most folks have a tendency to ride "in between," which is fine and fun, but it takes a heck of a lot of it to cause training adaptations.

I use Hammer HEED for a sports drink, choosing that one because of the mild flavor (I like the Melon) and the xylitol that's in it. Doesn't rot my teeth.

And oh yeah, most of us drink coffee before a fast group ride. You betcha.
Old 05-14-14, 08:45 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a 90 minute ride I just make sure I have full bottles and an empty bladder. I never leave home without an energy gel in my pocket but thats more of a mental thing.
Old 05-14-14, 09:53 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
As usual, Carbonfiberboy knows what he is talking about. My calves also are prone to cramping. I moved the cleats in my shoes as far back as possible, even elongating the slots about one cm with a round file. I also do calf raises in early Spring before long or hard rides as winter consists of shorter rides. I can't prove it but Sports Legs also seems to help. This past Sunday I rode with the club which is always faster than my normal pace. Half way into the ride I could feel the barest beginning of a cramp. Two tablets of Sport Legs and the cramp sensation vanished.