Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You can't wear underwear under your bib shorts......

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 06:17 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So for anybody else who gets Bicycling magazine, there's a page in there of Q & A stuff & I noticed one was, "Why can't I wear underwear under my riding shorts?" And the answer part goes on to say definitively that you simply can't to avoid saddle sores, chaffing, etc.

I was like....WTF? I've been wearing my tighty whities under my bib shorts for as long as I've been riding. (Plus, bare @$$ junk up against a bunch of nylon & spandex? )

I admit I'm probably a bit naive in the matter as it pertains to cycling but in my running career folks used to say the same crap about running shorts, yet I've worn my tighty whities every run for 6 years running, in everything from 5K up to Half Marathon distance right up to this very day and I've never regretted the decision.

What say ye?
Old 11-10-14, 06:23 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree that one shouldn't wear any...but can do whatever he or she personally wants. If it works for you, fine.

To clarify, it's bare junk against a chamois or (in the case of running shorts) built-in briefs...right?

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 11-10-14 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 06:24 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I wear underwear running, no compression spandex. I don't do marathons, only up to half marathons.
- I didn't wear compression when I was doing 400m and sprint medley relays either.

For cycling, I don't wear underwear, I did get shafing. Unless you don't wipe your butt and keep yourself clean, I don't see an issue. After a ride, I'll fill the sink, throw clothes in with a slight dash of detergent, rinse and hang it up. Takes about 10 minutes. And then throw 'em in with the rest when I do my weekly laundry.
Old 11-10-14, 06:26 PM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bare ass with a liberal coat of chamois cream. i wont have it any other way.
Old 11-10-14, 06:28 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by Edonis13
Slippery moist crotch. Ewww.
Old 11-10-14, 06:29 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Cycling shorts/bibs are designed to be worn without any underwear.
Old 11-10-14, 06:31 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
I agree that one shouldn't wear any...but can do whatever he or she personally wants. If it works for you, fine.

To clarify, it's bare junk against a chamois or (in the case of running shorts) built-in briefs...right?
Yes, otherwise known as going commando.

Many years ago, the Underwear Nazi roamed these parts. He'd set you straight real quick. See post #7 below

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ur-shorts.html
Old 11-10-14, 06:34 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
So for anybody else who gets Bicycling magazine, there's a page in there of Q & A stuff & I noticed one was, "Why can't I wear underwear under my riding shorts?" And the answer part goes on to say definitively that you simply can't to avoid saddle sores, chaffing, etc.

I was like....WTF? I've been wearing my tighty whities under my bib shorts for as long as I've been riding. (Plus, bare @$$ junk up against a bunch of nylon & spandex? )

I admit I'm probably a bit naive in the matter as it pertains to cycling but in my running career folks used to say the same crap about running shorts, yet I've worn my tighty whities every run for 6 years running, in everything from 5K up to Half Marathon distance right up to this very day and I've never regretted the decision.

What say ye?
You're doing it wrong.
Old 11-10-14, 06:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22603 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Cycling shorts/bibs are designed to be worn without any underwear.
Correct.

You could use underwear with them but that would be user error.
Old 11-10-14, 06:37 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Right, wrong, whatever, who cares. If it has been working for you, keep on doing it, don't worry about what everyone else says.
Old 11-10-14, 06:42 PM
zymphad

At least if you ever start to get shafing as you increase your riding distance, you know what to do.
Old 11-10-14, 06:43 PM
bt
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
right, wrong, whatever keep it to yourself.
Old 11-10-14, 06:44 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Originally Posted by BillyD
Right, wrong, whatever, who cares. If it has been working for you, keep on doing it, don't worry about what everyone else says.
True, but why not try for it to work better? The other day in a group ride one of us was on her big/small, at about 40RPM into a headwind. It worked for her, but not for long I'd guess. Some of us recommended her to use a higher cadence/lower gearing, and that worked much better.
Old 11-10-14, 06:54 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Pics or it didn't hap.... oh, wait, nevermind.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-10-14, 07:15 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain

Besides it is his junk and his shorts. I fail to see the problem. OP, you do wash them after each ride, right?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-10-14, 07:17 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edonis13
I put on chamois cream for really long distances (300k and double centuries) but more out of habit than for any specific reasons. I did lots of centuries without it. I need lip balm more than I need chamois cream.

As for underwear, you probably can ride while wearing underwear under the shorts, but I don't see why you'd want to.
Old 11-10-14, 07:20 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by hamster
I put on chamois cream for really long distances (300k and double centuries) but more out of habit than for any specific reasons. I did lots of centuries without it. I need lip balm more than I need chamois cream.

As for underwear, you probably can ride while wearing underwear under the shorts, but I don't see why you'd want to.
Just wondering, how do you get in the habit of doing something for 300k and double centuries? I mean if you only do it for rides of 185 miles or more, wouldn't you actually be in the habit of NOT doing it. Just askin'.

I couldn't resist. Just pulling your chain.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-10-14, 07:23 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
True, but why not try for it to work better? The other day in a group ride one of us was on her big/small, at about 40RPM into a headwind. It worked for her, but not for long I'd guess. Some of us recommended her to use a higher cadence/lower gearing, and that worked much better.
Precisely! I can't see how it would really help but I'm open to the idea. (Runners will recall that anything over about 5 miles are worth patching the nipples. Why? Because nipples rubbing up against nylon after a while = bad!!)

So why is it ok with bike shorts?

Why not a thin layer between your most sensitive area and layers of nylon? (Remember, that blue crap ISN'T chamois. The chamois is sandwiched underneath)

Besides, the underwear will certainly better retain a guy's "junk" than some bike shorts that may or may not fit your anatomy as well as your underwear do, no?

(shrug)
Old 11-10-14, 07:29 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Protect yourself with soaked cotton? OK

I ride with underwear plenty too because I commute on my bike and do long rides around the city, but I was already in my jeans and it does start to chaff after a few hours.
Old 11-10-14, 07:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

Precisely! I can't see how it would really help but I'm open to the idea. (Runners will recall that anything over about 5 miles are worth patching the nipples. Why? Because nipples rubbing up against nylon after a while = bad!!)

Why not a thin layer between your most sensitive area and layers of nylon? (Remember, that blue crap ISN'T chamois. The chamois is sandwiched underneath)

Besides, the underwear will certainly better retain a guy's "junk" than some bike shorts that may or may not fit your anatomy as well as your underwear do, no?

(shrug)
All wrong. The underwear are the fabric you DON'T want rubbing on you. The chamois is made for that purpose, and with some lubricant it is innocuous. As for retention, the underwear are not nearly as retentive (I don't mean anal-retentive all you arm-chair psychologists.) as the compressive cycling shorts. Give it up. Go commando or go home.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-10-14, 07:47 PM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear Jockey sport briefs. Stretchy, wicking, compressive, no seams in the seat, and definitely not cotton. They work fine under my bib shorts or tights.

As to why, I've had several operations in the groin area in the last 3 years, including tissue grafts that are part of a long-term procedure. I ignore articles like the recent one in Bicycling.
Old 11-10-14, 07:52 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
I wear underwear running, no compression spandex. I don't do marathons, only up to half marathons.
- I didn't wear compression when I was doing 400m and sprint medley relays either.

For cycling, I don't wear underwear, I did get shafing. Unless you don't wipe your butt and keep yourself clean, I don't see an issue. After a ride, I'll fill the sink, throw clothes in with a slight dash of detergent, rinse and hang it up. Takes about 10 minutes. And then throw 'em in with the rest when I do my weekly laundry.
Hopefully it isn't the kitchen sink...that would be disgusting.
Old 11-10-14, 08:10 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do whatever works for you. If you can ride 100 miles in jeans or corduroy, go for it.
Old 11-10-14, 08:13 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

(shrug)
It's different, I think. A runner's nipples are rubbing lightly and are very prone to irritation, much more than butt skin. And it's been established over many years of trial and error - runners tape nipples, cyclists don't wear underwear.
Old 11-10-14, 08:13 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamster
I need lip balm more than I need chamois cream.

remind me to never borrow your chap stick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.