Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Changing shift cable on grip shifter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 04:43 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

Hello,

I got a bike second hand, and need to change the shift cable for the rear derailleur. The shifter is a 6 speed falcon twist shifter. The set screw is already loose, and I tried prying the shifter body away from the shift knob, but it won't come apart. Is there a trick to this?
Old 04-18-24, 06:00 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
From what I recall, these are very low end shifters and, like many low end parts, really aren't designed for long term maintenance. I think I've busted a couple myself.

The good news is that grip shifters are cheap and readily available. Sure, you can buy a new one - or if there is a co-op local to you they probably have a bin full of these that can be had for a couple bucks each. Even more thrifty, maybe you can get lucky and find a free bike somewhere and salvage the shifter from it.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-24, 06:05 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by HMJ
From what I recall, these are very low end shifters and, like many low end parts, really aren't designed for long term maintenance. I think I've busted a couple myself.

The good news is that grip shifters are cheap and readily available. Sure, you can buy a new one - or if there is a co-op local to you they probably have a bin full of these that can be had for a couple bucks each. Even more thrifty, maybe you can get lucky and find a free bike somewhere and salvage the shifter from it.

Good luck.
They definitely are inexpensive. The bike is a huffy, and I got it from a garage sale. The lady gave it to me because she didn't know how to fix anything on it. It's perfect for my 11 year old since he just outgrew his old bike. I can fix most of the issues on it, just haven't worked on shifters like this. Honestly I would prefer to go with a trigger shifter since he had a hard time twisting the shifter on his old bike. The rear derailleur is a falcon 6 speed, is there a Shimano trigger shifter you can suggest that will work?

Dave
Old 04-18-24, 06:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=falc...&bih=599&dpr=1
Old 04-18-24, 06:52 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 268 Posts
It is possible the cable feed hole is just under the rubber grip. Pry up the cover and see if there is a hole with the cable stop/head showing.
Some have to pull the shifter twist part away from the shifter itself.
Some checking is required.
Likely not an expensive part to replace.
Old 04-18-24, 07:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,688 Posts
Amazon shows a number of very inexpensive Grip Shift knockoffs with 4.5-star ratings, for what that's worth. Probably easier to shift than the ones supplied on a Huffy, anyway. To see the choices, search for "Twist Shifter 3 x 6" on Amazon.
Old 04-18-24, 07:35 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 141 Posts
Remove from the handlebar to separate twisting piece. There is a metal or plastic spring inside, so be mindful of it and don't lose it. Looks broken though, so not sure if it can be used.
Old 04-18-24, 07:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I don't know about the Falcon, but most twist shifters have a rubber flap that covers the cable entry port. Logically, it's where the cable would feed into the exit/housing. Once you find the port, shift to high gear and feed the cable through. You shouldn't have to remove the shifter from the handlebar to replace a cable; that just doesn't sound right.
Old 04-18-24, 07:55 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
I am not familiar with this particular grip shifter, but I did just change cables on a couple of similar grip shifters for my kid's bikes. Step one is to remove it from the bike and study what you are working with. Peel back any rubber parts. The plastic housing is likely a clamshell type design that snaps together. Identify how it splits and where the two pieces are. The assembly snaps together. Look for a little plastic snap/locking tab that you can defeat with something like a small screwdriver. After you change the cable, the two sides should snap back together with finger pressure.
Old 04-18-24, 08:56 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 386 Posts
Some of those gripshifts on BSOs aren't designed to have their cables changed (or shift gears really ). There is a way to do it, but not worth it when a shifter with cable is under $10, often way less than that.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-18-24, 11:25 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
The shifter is a 6 speed falcon twist shifter. The set screw is already loose, and I tried prying the shifter body away from the shift knob, but it won't come apart. Is there a trick to this?
This is a copy of a SRAM grip shifter.

In the photo between the 6-5, that's a little black top plate that can be removed.

The cable is pulled up from that "trapdoor".
Old 04-18-24, 11:30 AM
soyabean

Originally Posted by wheelreason
Some of those gripshifts on BSOs aren't designed to have their cables changed
That is wrong.

I have NEVER encountered any shifter ever, no matter how economy, where the cable could not be changed.

There would be no profit for me on reselling dumpster finds if I had to replace whole shifters.

I'm always able to swap the cable. And a used cable at that.
Old 04-18-24, 12:09 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by soyabean
That is wrong.

I have NEVER encountered any shifter ever, no matter how economy, where the cable could not be changed.
Neither have I, reading comprehension much?...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-18-24, 01:20 PM
bonsai171

This is a copy of a SRAM grip shifter.

In the photo between the 6-5, that's a little black top plate that can be removed.

The cable is pulled up from that "trapdoor".
Does it pry up? It does look like there's a bit of space there.
Old 04-18-24, 02:27 PM
soyabean

It slides in the direction towards the center of the handlebar.
Old 04-18-24, 06:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,938 Posts
While that may be true, there are some grip-shift designs that make the process sufficiently tedious that it hardly seems worth the bother. My preferred fix is to replace the grip shifter with a friction thumb shifter. No issues with cable-pull incompatibility, easy cable installation and replacement, simple mechanism that seldom gives trouble, etc.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-18-24, 06:36 PM
soyabean

Same could be said for automotive shops that use Mitchell-on-Demand to quote the owner to repair their 20 year old car.

They don't give opinions if it's worth it or not, the manuals just show the mechanic how to do the repair with precise certainty, which was my point.
Old 04-18-24, 10:33 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 193 Posts
I like Shimano Trigger shifters as an upgrade. Around $15-20l,
Old 04-19-24, 12:46 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 342 Posts
As others have stated, there may be a small cap or flap to allow access to change the cable. Important note: On mine, after removing the old cable, I tried inserting a lightly used cable in its place, had a HECK of a time to get it in more than an inch or two. Here's why: The cable has to make a fairly tight turn in a plastic tube after it comes off the "drum" (cylindrical part that moves when you shift), and a cable that has been cut, the sharp end grabs too much, won't make the turn, even as I tried spinning the cable in the twist direction while pushing. So... when replacing the cable, use a new cable that has the tiny melted ball on the feeding end of the cable, that will probably go through more easily.
Old 04-19-24, 05:09 AM
soyabean

The original SRAM shifter has a removal cover for the 90-deg curved part to solve the mentioned issue of used cables that fray.

I spot weld the ends of all my used cables just so they don't fray in storage.
Old 04-19-24, 06:22 AM
wheelreason

the original sram shifter has a removal cover for the 90-deg curved part to solve the mentioned issue of used cables that fray.

lol.
Old 04-19-24, 10:41 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 342 Posts
The original SRAM shifter has a removal cover for the 90-deg curved part to solve the mentioned issue of used cables that fray.

They are indeed SRAM GRIPSHIFT MRX COMP (I'm sure the cheapest they make as it came on a Dahon Speed 7), just inboard of the grip is a champagne colored triangular panel, and from the cable side there is a tiny slot just wide enough for a smallest size standard flat screwdriver blade, with what looks like a champagne colored tapered tab that holds the panel on. But I haven't been able to figure out how exactly to push on that tab to release the panel, tried gently, no luck. But good to know, thanks.