Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Question about the physiological benefits from moto-pacing vs. undergear training

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Question about the physiological benefits from moto-pacing vs. undergear training

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 10:42 AM
spartanKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to be clear, I know there are lots of benefits and/or uses to moto-pacing for workouts, warm-ups, mock enduro races, etc. This is not a thread questioning those benefits. And I know that there is a big benefit to actually experiencing the race speeds of the motor and the way the bike handles at speed, the psychological benefits, etc. AND that the moto lets you spend more time "over-speed" because you're not limited by the banking or hill length BUT:

What I'd like to know is if anyone has any hard data that pin-points the physiological differences between high rev work behind a moto and under-geared work using the banking on a track or a hill on a road bike.

Behind a moto, you're working less hard because of the draft, you're going "over-speed", and working on developing high RPMs. The moto forces you to learn to put out power at higher RPM because you can go faster behind the moto on your own. Put another way you can put out less power for a given RPM on a given gear at a given speed. This is not wholly different than undergear training from a muscular rate of force development perspective. In a smaller gear (but in the wind) you've got to learn to generate power at more RPMs as you dive down a banking or a hill because gravity gets you up to speed like the moto would. Using the banking or hill is less controlled and typically shorter intervals than behind behind the moto of course.

Does anyone see this differently? Am I totally off base here for some reason I am not seeing?
Old 09-18-17, 10:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
It's my understanding that the other big benefit from motor pacing is practicing the "come-around" as you attempt to pass (or at least draw even with) the motorbike.

It's sort of like a negative-split effort (actually a double* negative split) where the 1st part is done at a certain cadence and torque then the 2nd part is done with both increased cadence and torque. Increased cadence to go faster and increased torque to overcome the wind that the motorbike was blocking for you. This directly simulates what happens in race situations.

*double because you are doing negative split cadence effort and a negative split power effort and the power required is much higher than what would normally be required if you were simply doing a negative split effort where you just went faster.

This is somewhat difficult to simulate in on a trainer or riding solo on the track. You can do it with a mag trainer where you hold one cadence for a given resistance setting then when it's time to "come around" you take the resistance up a notch and increase your cadence for a prescribed period. You can do it on the track by training with a partner. But, it will wear the partner (lead rider) out much faster than you'll wear out as (s)he's in the wind much more than you are
Old 09-18-17, 11:02 AM
Dolanarc1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got the physiological factors figured out.
I've been doing this type of training since the mid 70's and I believe that there are all of these benefits you've mentioned. I would like to add one more, "motor memory" I believe that once your body get more accustomed to the higher RPM it tries to duplicate it during races. So even if you reach 10 RPM higher than normal while motor pacing you might reach 2 or 3 RPM higher during the events. Cheers
Old 09-18-17, 11:55 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Haven't been behind a motor in ages! Carlton makes a good point, a great way to get the feel of running up on a wheel, how that feels at speed. When I did get some motor time it always surprised me how far back you start to feel the rpm's rise. You don't get that same sensation sprinting on the Road.

It also lets you spend more time at speed if that is the goal, since the motor can get you up to pace w/o a lot of wasted energy.

A little off topic. Scariest experience of my cycling life was sitting behind a motor at Major Taylor, on the back of a Tandem. Entering turn 3 on a flying lap I did not expect to live.
Old 09-19-17, 10:06 AM
Franklin27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
It's my understanding that the other big benefit from motor pacing is practicing the "come-around" as you attempt to pass (or at least draw even with) the motorbike.

It's sort of like a negative-split effort (actually a double* negative split) where the 1st part is done at a certain cadence and torque then the 2nd part is done with both increased cadence and torque. Increased cadence to go faster and increased torque to overcome the wind that the motorbike was blocking for you. This directly simulates what happens in race situations.

*double because you are doing negative split cadence effort and a negative split power effort and the power required is much higher than what would normally be required if you were simply doing a negative split effort where you just went faster.

This is somewhat difficult to simulate in on a trainer or riding solo on the track. You can do it with a mag trainer where you hold one cadence for a given resistance setting then when it's time to "come around" you take the resistance up a notch and increase your cadence for a prescribed period. You can do it on the track by training with a partner. But, it will wear the partner (lead rider) out much faster than you'll wear out as (s)he's in the wind much more than you are
Do you think that it is possible to identify the percentage of the difference of resistance to actually replicate this training on the mag trainer?

(I am a geeky, have no motorbike for pacing and my friends are too lazy to sprint)

Edit: I mean, if its possible to calculate the difference in Power and Cadence (double split) to actually replicate the conditions that requieres to "pass the motorbike". Of course, it should vary in terms of drag depending of the max speed...

Right now I am thinking in how much speed and power difference you actually need to overcome a rival during a match sprint. Of course, taking in count the difference of distance too.

Last edited by Franklin27; 09-19-17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-19-17, 11:40 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
You can do work that's similar to motorpaced sprint work/come-around work by finding a road to sprint on that gives you a downhill leadout into a flat runout.

Use the downhill leadout to get up to fast leadout speeds - a touch below spring speed, perhaps, or maybe just on the low end of sprint speed.

And then sprint. Work on your top end, applying power at optimal cadences, and turning that into speed when resistance is high (e.g. you're moving fast).

Like taras said in a different thread, as soon as you start to bog down, stop.
Old 09-19-17, 12:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin27
Do you think that it is possible to identify the percentage of the difference of resistance to actually replicate this training on the mag trainer?

(I am a geeky, have no motorbike for pacing and my friends are too lazy to sprint)

Edit: I mean, if its possible to calculate the difference in Power and Cadence (double split) to actually replicate the conditions that requieres to "pass the motorbike". Of course, it should vary in terms of drag depending of the max speed...

Right now I am thinking in how much speed and power difference you actually need to overcome a rival during a match sprint. Of course, taking in count the difference of distance too.
The short answer is, YES. You can do the math.

The long answer is...doing the math

You can do it here: Analytic Cycling, Interactive methods for estimating cycling performance.

Basically, your CdA changes as well as your speed. Calculate the forces required for the CdA behind the bike at the stead speed and the CdA when you try to pass at the higher speed.

It's a good homework problem for a collegiate physics student.

Originally Posted by queerpunk
You can do work that's similar to motorpaced sprint work/come-around work by finding a road to sprint on that gives you a downhill leadout into a flat runout.

Use the downhill leadout to get up to fast leadout speeds - a touch below spring speed, perhaps, or maybe just on the low end of sprint speed.

And then sprint. Work on your top end, applying power at optimal cadences, and turning that into speed when resistance is high (e.g. you're moving fast).

Like taras said in a different thread, as soon as you start to bog down, stop.
+1

Also, I saw in a Keirin School video where they had the athletes on a paved road on the campus that was V-shaped (actually like a V with a flat bottom I guess). The riders would line up on top of one end of the V and haul ass down (gaining legspeed) then have to do their best to maintain the leg speed to make it to the top of the other part of the V.

Maybe Baby Puke can tell us more about it. I can't find the video immediately but I'll keep looking.

I found these pics:

Start:

Finish:
Old 09-19-17, 05:54 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Actually this is not v-shaped, it's just a flat road running up to something like a 20% grade for 100 meters or so. So this is not akin to motorpacing or running down a hill to get top-end work. They actually go flat out from the gate and then struggle like mad once they hit the hill. Brutal. More of an extreme strength endurance/strength under fatigue type workout I guess.
Old 09-19-17, 06:10 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
More of an extreme strength endurance/strength under fatigue type workout I guess.
yeah, definitely not a speed or sprint wko.
Old 09-19-17, 11:13 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
That was featured in this short documentary on Pervis. It's about 11 minutes in, and yeah, it looks insane.

Old 09-19-17, 11:23 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
The narrator rattles off that it's 500m at nearly 30%, but that can't be right. I'm thinking what he means is it's 500m from the flat start to the top of the hill. You can see from the on-bike camera shot that they do the whole drill in about 30 seconds.
Old 09-20-17, 10:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I do motor work each week as part of my training. We use a motor for warmup to keep the power down and the coach uses it to control the speed.

All of my motor work is chase the motor where the motor increases speed as I approach the motor such that I am always accelerating and there is a gap between me and the motor. This results in max cadence at max power. Or we use the motor to wind up the effort for a solo effort to follow with the motor next to me shouting encouragement to go faster - hence more speed and more power.

For beginners, riding behind the motor to increase leg speed at lower power is okay and I guess riding a road bike down hill would be similar.