Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

NorCal Racing thread

Old 03-19-19, 12:22 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hack

The drama should be worked out in private, but it’ll get wrung thorough Facebook court. I was curious if he was going to keep his events USAC, but not sure how that’d work without NCNCA. Seems that’s been answered directly though.

With the RedKite races pulled from the ncnca calendar, there’s still usac racing on all but 3 weekends until mid-October. So, there’s no shortage of racing to be had.

Curious if he tweaks his format for racing at all. Does he keep the same USAC-ish categories? Will he follow the OBRA 40+, 50+, etc model for masters racing?

That part is not clear to me. Do race promoters have to be affiliated with NCNCA to do USAC events?
Maybe it's for the best, was thinking of getting more in to outdoor climbing anyway. lol
Old 03-19-19, 06:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Any links or context for us non-norcal people who might be interested?
Old 03-19-19, 09:21 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Its in the NCNCA Facebook Group. Essentially a promoter is leaving NCNCA / USAC, not sure of the other details.
Old 03-19-19, 12:09 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Local race promoter is joining NABRA and leaving USAC/our local association ("NCNCA"), but still holding races. He puts on a lot of office park crits in addition to some other racing.

Even before this he's been a polarizing figure locally for many reasons - some people thing he's somehow ruining racing by putting on a ton of races of varying quality, people think he charges too much as is getting rich (the first part is true, I think, but not the second part).

The new drama is an allegation that he stole money from NCNCA ($4 per racer per race) for some time period - depending on who you ask he's a thief or just a hard-working promoter.

On top of all that he's been blocked from the local FB group run by our LA, which is super lame.

Overall I think joining NABRA is a dumb move, but it sounds like he's had enough with the LA and vice-versa, and is ready to take on this experiment. I talked to him about this on Sunday at the race and he likes the "grass roots" thing NABRA has going on (e.g. you're not paying for a jr to race in Europe), and better infrastructure like FinishLynx cameras. I think for him it's overall cheaper to put on races under the NABRA umbrella.

Fwiw NABRA does have an upgrade "reciprocity agreement", so people will still get upgrade points (or should), but not sure about 2->1 upgrades. Oregon's OBRA is the same deal - not USAC but they have racing and get upgrades and can race nationally.

So here we'll have a hybrid USAC/NABRA thing going on for at least a little while - probably until the NABRA experiment ends and it's all back to normal.

my race videos
Old 03-19-19, 02:16 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Is there a reason you believe NABRA will lose?
Old 03-19-19, 02:30 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Is there a reason you believe NABRA will lose?
Mostly because it's already lost. It's been around for a long time already and hasn't gained traction.. USAC isn't perfect but NABRA has 5k members, USAC has roughly 60k (active) members.

Sure NABRA can have lower fees and feel more grassroots when it's tiny - but if their goal is to grow to USAC's level of registered members, they'll end up with similar overhead (costs), similar bureaucracy, similar issues as USAC.

As for Red Kite specifically the registration numbers are already relatively low, and I only see this bringing them down - not necessarily for valid reasons, but many if not most people will think upgrade points "don't count" so they'll stop going. Especially since NCNCA is trying to doom the move from the beginning by telling people the upgrade points aren't there, even if they are apparently.

my race videos
Old 03-19-19, 02:36 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Mostly because it's already lost. It's been around for a long time already and hasn't gained traction.. USAC isn't perfect but NABRA has 5k members, USAC has roughly 60k (active) members.

Sure NABRA can have lower fees and feel more grassroots when it's tiny - but if their goal is to grow to USAC's level of registered members, they'll end up with similar overhead (costs), similar bureaucracy, similar issues as USAC.

As for Red Kite specifically the registration numbers are already relatively low, and I only see this bringing them down - not necessarily for valid reasons, but many if not most people will think upgrade points "don't count" so they'll stop going. Especially since NCNCA is trying to doom the move from the beginning by telling people the upgrade points aren't there, even if they are apparently.

NABRA should advertise as "RACE DIRTY" so I can get my biceps going.
Old 03-19-19, 04:55 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
@mattm Thanks for the details.
Old 03-19-19, 05:24 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
This brings up a good point though - where is the NABRA rule book, and are the rules different than USAC?

my race videos
Old 03-19-19, 07:59 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Are you doing a lot of bicep curls these days? Per @mattm, I know "oversize" biceps are indicative, if not conclusive, of doping.
Old 03-19-19, 11:06 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Local race promoter is joining NABRA and leaving USAC/our local association ("NCNCA"), but still holding races. He puts on a lot of office park crits in addition to some other racing.

Even before this he's been a polarizing figure locally for many reasons - some people thing he's somehow ruining racing by putting on a ton of races of varying quality, people think he charges too much as is getting rich (the first part is true, I think, but not the second part).

The new drama is an allegation that he stole money from NCNCA ($4 per racer per race) for some time period - depending on who you ask he's a thief or just a hard-working promoter.

On top of all that he's been blocked from the local FB group run by our LA, which is super lame.

Overall I think joining NABRA is a dumb move, but it sounds like he's had enough with the LA and vice-versa, and is ready to take on this experiment. I talked to him about this on Sunday at the race and he likes the "grass roots" thing NABRA has going on (e.g. you're not paying for a jr to race in Europe), and better infrastructure like FinishLynx cameras. I think for him it's overall cheaper to put on races under the NABRA umbrella.

Fwiw NABRA does have an upgrade "reciprocity agreement", so people will still get upgrade points (or should), but not sure about 2->1 upgrades. Oregon's OBRA is the same deal - not USAC but they have racing and get upgrades and can race nationally.

So here we'll have a hybrid USAC/NABRA thing going on for at least a little while - probably until the NABRA experiment ends and it's all back to normal.
Does it say somewhere that they have the "reciprocity agreement"? I wasn't able to find it on their website.

Upgrade is one thing, but the thing about him stealing NCNCA fees is a big thing.
Old 03-20-19, 12:13 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Does it say somewhere that they have the "reciprocity agreement"? I wasn't able to find it on their website.

Upgrade is one thing, but the thing about him stealing NCNCA fees is a big thing.
The NABRA website seems to have minimal actual info - race calendar, rule book, details like working with USAC... blog not updated since 2015? The "reciprocity" thing was from Steve, I dunno if it's actually true.

The fees theft thing.. I haven't seen it proven one way or another. People have said that happened, but unofficially. Or is that official?

my race videos
Old 09-11-19, 11:21 PM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I did not see this posted any place after I did a few searches . Not a racer.but I live in Auburn and seen this posted on FB. bummer Now someone might quote me and direct me to a post already about the event . that is Ok .LOL

Chico Stage Race Cancelled for 2020

The Chico Stage Race Directors have made the tough decision to cancel the CSR indefinitely for a variety of reasons. We've enjoyed the last 13 years hosting one of the best bike racing events in Northern California and thank everyone who raced over the years. We'd also like to thank all the sponsors and the City of Chico for supporting and allowing us to bring bike racing to the downtown streets of Chico. We hope that another quality NorCal event can be developed in the space the CSR is vacating. Thanks again for supporting and attending our event.
https://www.facebook.com/chicostager...pvRQ6H1WwiZrzh

Last edited by Joeyseven; 09-11-19 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-12-19, 04:39 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven
I did not see this posted any place after I did a few searches . Not a racer.but I live in Auburn and seen this posted on FB. bummer Now someone might quote me and direct me to a post already about the event . that is Ok .LOL

https://www.facebook.com/chicostager...pvRQ6H1WwiZrzh
With Antigravity (who hosted EC, Mt Whitney, Tuttle Creek, etc) MIA other promoters falling off, the road scene is on life support down here. We have UCLA, SDSR, SBRR, and San Luis Rey RR and that's it. Promoters are trying, its just road racing just has too many barriers and costs.

Next season expect a much larger contingent of SCNCA racers, those of us that excel at climbing and rollers pretty much have to go up north for points.
Old 09-12-19, 05:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
No ****... bummer. I was looking forward to trying Chico next year.