Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sore legs, any miracle potions?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sore legs, any miracle potions?

Old 05-18-19, 08:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I switched from coffee to Yerba Mate tea a year ago. It doesn't do anything for pain, but the morning stiffness, or stiffness from prolonged sitting in my legs and back is gone.
Old 05-19-19, 05:10 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Say what you will, but Amp performance and recovery lotion (formerly Edge) works. Give it a try.
Old 05-19-19, 06:33 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
You could probably fill a database with the information you didn't tell us. Nevertheless in my view it cannot be done. Or more precisely, it will do more harm than good. You need a day off....at least. A complete day off your feet with 8+ hours sleep to sufficiently recover. While pills and and potions can assist in your recovery they cannot substitute for rest.
Old 05-23-19, 03:41 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 115 Posts
I`d try to get a another ride in between rides.
Your leg pain might be associated with knee pain.
Capsaicin gives me some relief for that. But follow the directions. Don`t apply it before going out in the sun or have it on under a knee brace. It really heats up.

Capsaicin is the active ingredient in chili peppers that makes them hot. Capsaicin is used in medicated creams and lotions to relieve muscle or joint pain.

Capsaicin used on the body causes a sensation of heat that activates certain nerve cells. With regular use of capsaicin, this heating effect reduces the amount of substance P, a chemical that acts as a pain messenger in the body.

Also, Naproxen works better for me then Ibuprofen. To get the prescription dosage without having to go to the doctor, you can take over the counter Aleve. The prescription dosage is 500mg twice a day, over the counter Aleve is 250mg tablets. So, if you took 3-4 over the counter Aleve`s you`d be close to, or at the same amount, as if you had a prescription from a doctor. Just take it with food.
Old 05-23-19, 09:18 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,010 Posts
I feel the weed eater today that is a full body workout. Today a bike ride will cure the sore muscles.
Old 05-23-19, 07:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Summary of this thread - the collective mind of BF has decided that the action plan is:

• flaxseed oil
  • ride more
  • compression socks or compression tights
  • incorporate recovery rides
  • About 1/4 cup pickle juice, 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, water to fill a regular size glass and ice
  • force myself to go for a ride
  • Magnesium supplements or gel before bed, and pickle juice
  • Sportlegs capsules
  • tiny does of magnesium & hot soaks in epsom baths w/ massage, using foaming bath soap of choice. 20 minute minimum
  • 1/2 glass of red wine
  • Better than Blue sold by Swanson's
  • Ice cold beer and you’re favorite music
  • Naproxen
  • massively heavy marble rolling pin
  • Yerba Mate tea
  • Amp performance and recovery lotion
  • Capsaicin

And the outlier is:
  • it cannot be done

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-24-19, 07:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I've tried CBD salve and it seemed to work. Only did it once so I will need to have more experience before I can make a judgement.
Old 05-24-19, 10:05 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bruce19
I've tried CBD salve and it seemed to work. Only did it once so I will need to have more experience before I can make a judgement.
CBD as a pain reliever is growing rapidly. However, since its not "technically legal", there's a lot of suppliers that under-dose the product, so you might not get the full effects you expected. Other than sending it to a lab to test or purity, there's no way to know.

It any event, it seems to work for a lot of people and, therefore, has great potential as part of a regiment to pain relief. The only thing that's holding me back, is finding a reputable supplier. Time will tell.
Old 05-24-19, 10:20 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
CBD as a pain reliever is growing rapidly. However, since its not "technically legal", there's a lot of suppliers that under-dose the product, so you might not get the full effects you expected. Other than sending it to a lab to test or purity, there's no way to know.

It any event, it seems to work for a lot of people and, therefore, has great potential as part of a regiment to pain relief. The only thing that's holding me back, is finding a reputable supplier. Time will tell.
It's been fully legalized here as long as there is no THC in it. Actually the industry is beginning to self regulate: https://www.ushempauthority.org
Setting standards and guidelines.
Just do your due diligence.
Old 05-24-19, 11:13 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Have a kinesiologist at my gym who turned me on to foam rollers. I have found it to be very effective. Roll the hams and calves after an intense session to roll the crap out of them. No drugs and I found a combo roller for about 15$. She also recommended a racket ball for the shoulder blades. Another great suggestion.
Sometimes I'm too lazy and pay for it at 4 in the morning with an awakening cramp, LoL (not).
Old 05-24-19, 11:34 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Incorporate recovery rides when you legs are sore. This is zone 1 power, you are basically spinning at a higher cadence (not mashing) with not much effort at all on the pedals. It will clear the lactic acid out of your legs faster than just waiting for it to go away on it's own.
+1 I rode Wednesday a week ago. Saturday and Sunday were 67 mile rides of mostly gravel and 5500' each of climbing. Last Wednesday a commute and a 16 mile ride climbing gravel going out and pavement back. Woke up Yesterday with a cramp in my calf. In the evening, I went 35 miles so easy I never got winded. Just mosey, mosey, mosey. Wow! did that feel good!

Ben
Old 05-24-19, 11:46 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
It's been fully legalized here as long as there is no THC in it. Actually the industry is beginning to self regulate: https://www.ushempauthority.org
Setting standards and guidelines.
Just do your due diligence.
A loophole in legality perhaps? Its still on the scheduled drug list.
Old 05-24-19, 11:59 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
bananas, lots of hydration, and eat some protein after rides.
Old 05-24-19, 12:07 PM
FBOATSB

Nope. As long as THC (the scheduled substance) is below a certain threshold, it is just hemp. And from my due diligence, industrial hemp derived CBD products can be more effective for the above pain issues.
Old 05-24-19, 01:14 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts

I bought mine from Hammer and it wasn't cheap. I can also get it at a local tobacco shop near my house. Didn't know it wasn't legal.
Old 05-24-19, 01:23 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
It is pitiful, isn't it? The existing legislation (in place) covering such stuff. It's the THC content (the key psychoactive component), so far as I understand it, that negatively impacts people. Yet, it's not THC above an amount that's regulated; it's the whole plant family and it's cousins.
Old 05-24-19, 01:38 PM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
It is pitiful, isn't it? The existing legislation (in place) covering such stuff. It's the THC content (the key psychoactive component), so far as I understand it, that negatively impacts people. Yet, it's not THC above an amount that's regulated; it's the whole plant family and it's cousins.
There are only three states in which the whole plant is still illegal. You can find out which ones they are quite easily.

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/...legal-14802001

In my state CBD is perfectly legal as long as there is no THC in it however medical marijuana, (totally different stuff) is not legal. Again, due diligence.
Old 05-24-19, 05:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, CBD is still gray zone stuff, both in terms of legality and efficacy.

Here in Texas the state gummint attitude is "Meh, don't care, whatever." Pending official approval. Meanwhile some cities are taking advantage of the gray zone to milk more cash out of small businesses and individuals by busting CDB vendors and arresting users who get caught traveling with the stuff.

In terms of efficacy, anecdotes vary considerably. Here's mine: CBD *can* work. But only a very limited selection.

Basically, it appears a tiny amount of THC must be present for CBD to be effective for some folks. Doesn't need to be enough THC to get high, certainly not the amount in some concentrated e-liquids for vaping. That stuff is just silly strong.

But isolates containing zero THC have zero effect on me. Not even a placebo effect. I've tried many of 'em and they're all the same. Expensive honey/glycerin/MCT oil. A well meaning friend gave me a sample of the CBD she gets discounted for complications associated with traumatic brain injury -- anxiety, etc. It's another isolate and does absolutely nothing for me. But I use it for my cats. The oldest, a 15 y/o Siamese I adopted after my mom died, seems to benefit the most. She's often been skittish but now she seems calmer, more confident, more sociable instead of hiding, eats better and her fur looks healthier and shinier. The cat is probably resistant to the placebo effect, so I'm betting CBD isolates do benefit some critters.

But not me.

The best I've tried is Lazarus Naturals full spectrum high potency mint chocolate oil, 50mg per 1 ml. A few drops in coffee really helps with the usual morning aches and pains, usually within 15-20 minutes. The high potency capsules work as well but take longer. Sometimes I'll take a capsule at bedtime so I can sleep through the night without pain.

Works so well I rarely take my prescription pain meds now (hydrocodone and cyclobenzaprine). I've been hit by cars twice in less than 20 years, and have chronic neck, shoulder and back pain, even with weekly PT, chiropractors, etc. It's great having the option of a pain reliever that really works, doesn't cause GI problems like many NSAIDs, and isn't an opioid that makes me sleepy and sluggish. I can ride, and have ridden, after taking CBD. Doesn't hinder my alertness or reflexes. Helps on rides longer than an hour or so, when my neck pain would usually cause me to head back home. And I'm having fewer muscle spasms in my neck, shoulder, legs and feet.

Lazarus already has the lowest prices in the reputable CBD industry, and they offer significant discounts to military veterans like me, and folks with low income and/or disabilities. They do require documentation but anyone who meets those criteria will already have the forms ready to fax or email. Lazarus usually responds within a week of application. And they offer other occasional discounts, including this Memorial Day weekend.

Nope, I'm not associated with Lazarus, just a satisfied customer. I don't have any coupon codes or referral links or anything that would benefit me or them.

Wish I could vouch for the CBD or full cannabis topical balms as enthusiastically but my experience with these indicates they mostly work because of the massaging action of rubbing 'em in. Some will sort of short circuit the pain nerves for a little while, maybe 15 minutes or so, but don't actually treat the local inflammation or pain. They just distract us for awhile.

I can't actually self-massage my worst pain area -- the muscle that runs between the base of the skull and hip, between the shoulder blade and spine. So if the CBD and other balms really worked, just applying them with a sponge on a stick would relieve the pain. But nope. It needs the massaging action of rubbing it in, which I can do with my neck and some of my injured shoulder. I'd probably get the same relief with generic baby lotion.
Old 05-25-19, 06:55 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
My personal trainer son clued me in. Riding as infrequently as I do, I'm going to suffer leg pain if I ride hard. No biggy. Just riding too hard for my current fitness. So I'm easing back on the rides I do take. And I'll build from there. With Summer approaching more frequent rides in the future.
Old 05-25-19, 09:27 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Riding more to 'train up' may not be appropriate.

Not a doctor, always ready to 'stand corrected' when proven wrong. I should go back thru some of my medical history and prior notes, but not at home.

When your muscles work they produce enzymes (and other stuff). If one of those (iso)enzymes is produced in excess it leads to persistent pain (a dull ache). People with MS have extremely high levels of this enzyme. I was found to have an elevated level. No matter my build-up and training, riding long and/or hard miles degrades my ability to ride strong. Have a blood panel taken that checks CK levels (I think that's what it's called); and YES = it feels much like lactic acid build-up. Finding a balance is the trick. No more centuries for me unless they are metric, KOM is beyond my reach.
Old 05-25-19, 10:34 AM
KraneXL

Sounds like Iowa's government has ulterior motives with her recent decision limiting cannabis.

go to second story

https://whotv.com/2019/05/24/caught-...ear-indianola/
Old 06-03-19, 11:49 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
GNC used to market some stuff. It's no longer made/sold so I won't bother posting the name. It tasted terrible, and almost refused to dissolve in water; but if you mixed a scoop in your water bottle the next day, muscles too sore to work would go away and become merely muscles that were tired. I think it had a couple of ingredients in it that were not-legal-for-competition.
Old 06-03-19, 01:24 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
There are only three states in which the whole plant is still illegal. You can find out which ones they are quite easily.

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/...legal-14802001

In my state CBD is perfectly legal as long as there is no THC in it however medical marijuana, (totally different stuff) is not legal. Again, due diligence.
There is no psychoactive properties to CBD oil whatsoever. And since it works through a totally different mechanism than marijuana, its not possible for it to make you high.

I think the confusion comes from hemp oil. A related product where people mistakenly confuse it with CBD oil. The former is made from the leaves, flower and stem and contains no THC. Unlike the latter comes from the seeds of the plant.

The two often get referred to as the same, and are even sometime labeled and advertised incorrectly leading to even more confusion. Suffice it to say, you need to double check to be sure you're getting the product you intend. The two are not the same.

BTW, before you can treat the pain you have to know its source, which heretofore, has yet to be identified.
Old 06-05-19, 01:06 PM
Tom L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I read here once and it has worked very well for me
after a day of riding, I take a vitamin B12 and folic acid, along with my daily turmeric
have found that it helps recover my legs quick.
Old 06-12-19, 08:35 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
I cant believe its been almost a month since I posted this thread. I have been out for maybe 10 rides. Legs are still a bit tight but better. I started taking a protein drink that my son uses. Its got amino acids and other stuff in it. Makes a big difference in how I feel.

The weather just sucks, working more hours than ever, and trying to ride whenever I get a chance. Yesterday I stained a large deck in scorching sun for 8 hrs. then went out for a ride in the evening. Felt good considering the work day. Legs felt good today, though my back has been cracking every which way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.