Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1000 question, what’s best for training?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 11:51 AM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Just picked up a new bike and I’m wanting to start tracking my power output and cadence for training purpose, my end goal is to get stronger. I’m currently averaging 18-18.3 on a 40 mile ride by myself, I would like to hit 20mph average by the end of summer.

Ok, enough history.... I’m looking at a edge 1000 computer with the cadence bundle. Would that monitor power, cadence and such? Or would it be better to purchase the 1000 and power meter that replaces the crank arm?
Old 06-04-19, 01:04 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I would go with the 2nd option: the 1000 plus the power meter. A PM in the crank arm (and most other places) will measure cadence plus power, while a cadence sensor will only measure cadence. Plus, power is the more important measurement anyway.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 06-04-19, 11:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Power = cadence x force.

If you want to do your intervals at 300w or whatever, you can do that at any cadence you would want to pedal at. So a cadence sensor by itself isn't that helpful for training.

And because of the math, a PM in the crank or pedal has to measure cadence to know power. So there's no point in having the sensor if you want to go this route.

A power meter is much more expensive of course. But it's kind of the holy grail of things you could measure on a bike - because of its usefulness.

If you have a speed sensor - this comes down the line - you can do a trick riding laps and using free software to measure your cda. Test different jerseys, positions, etc.
Old 06-05-19, 11:55 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Your first option does not include a power meter, so it wouldn't measure power.
Old 06-05-19, 04:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The cadence sensor is $35. The Edge series will pick up speed and cadence sensors as well as display power. "Cadence bundle" sounds silly. Of course you should have both speed and cadence sensors. The GPS will approximate speed and distance, but the speed sensor makes those more accurate in real time. And of course you have to have a PM if you want to track power.

I don't have a PM but all I normally monitor is HR and cadence. If I had a PM, it'd be power and cadence. You'll notice pretty early that a particular power level will be easier to maintain for a longer period at a certain cadence, or put another way, a certain cadence will take less out of you at a particular effort level. Those cadence levels will change with training but are worth noting.