Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is some noise on 2 lowest cogs acceptable/normal for 1 x 9?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 05:48 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

Been using this bike for utility in the flats so I don't even remember being in the two low gears.

Anyhow, I yanked off the bash guard and am now running just a narrow/wide 38T ring up front.
I indexed and shifts are smooth. There is no noise on 3 - 9, but I do get some chain noise on cogs 1 & 2.

Is this normal or is there further adjustment needed?
THX in advance!
Old 06-19-19, 06:36 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Have you checked the B-screw for correct adjustment?
Old 06-19-19, 06:44 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Have you checked the B-screw for correct adjustment?
Have not. To be frank, I've adjusted many of my bikes, but have never touched the B screw. It's time I learn about it...
Will get back. Thx.
Old 06-19-19, 07:07 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
Old 06-19-19, 08:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
How's the chain line between the ft and rear? How wound out is the rear cage when in those low cogs? If you were to be in one/either of those cogs and placed your finger along the chain just as it engages the ring and slightly pushed the chain to one side then the other does the noise change? Andy
Old 06-20-19, 06:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
1x9 should be noise/rub free.
Old 06-20-19, 06:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Are you running the 38t in the middle or outer chainring position?
Old 06-21-19, 06:06 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
You don't indicate whether the crank began life as a double or triple. Although cross chaining is not recommended, I can pedal all nine cogs in either chainring of a double without noise. I routinely use all 9 cassette cogs in the middle chain ring of a triple without noise. However, chain line could be the issue if you have mounted the single ring in the outer position of a triple and perhaps in the outer position of a double. How old is the chain? Could it be worn out and too elongated? Chains and cogs wear out in unison. If you are running a worn out chain on two relatively new cassette cogs (you said you can't remember using the two largest cogs) this could be the reason for the noise. You may need a new chain and cassette. Of course, all of the aforementioned suggestions could be true also. So the answer to the original question is that this shouldn't be accepted as normal. Start eliminating the possibilities offered.
Old 06-21-19, 11:02 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
You don't indicate whether the crank began life as a double or triple. Although cross chaining is not recommended, I can pedal all nine cogs in either chainring of a double without noise. I routinely use all 9 cassette cogs in the middle chain ring of a triple without noise. However, chain line could be the issue if you have mounted the single ring in the outer position of a triple and perhaps in the outer position of a double. How old is the chain? Could it be worn out and too elongated? Chains and cogs wear out in unison. If you are running a worn out chain on two relatively new cassette cogs (you said you can't remember using the two largest cogs) this could be the reason for the noise. You may need a new chain and cassette. Of course, all of the aforementioned suggestions could be true also. So the answer to the original question is that this shouldn't be accepted as normal. Start eliminating the possibilities offered.
1) The crank is an OEM dedicated single crank, 2) the chain and chainring are new, 3) I have inserted a 4mm washer taking the place (width) of the outer bash guard.
Old 06-21-19, 11:13 AM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Chain and cassette wear in tandem. Depending upon how worn the cassette is, you should have changed it. If the problem started after you put on the new chain, then changing the cassette should solve the issue. Particularly since the two cogs in question were seldom used.
Old 06-21-19, 04:22 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by hrdknox1
Chain and cassette wear in tandem. Depending upon how worn the cassette is, you should have changed it. If the problem started after you put on the new chain, then changing the cassette should solve the issue. Particularly since the two cogs in question were seldom used.
Thx. There was no noise prior to me replacing the front ring with a narrow/wide and removing the bash guard. My initial issue was chain drop getting stuck in the bash guard.

I was advised to check and replace the chain and it worked w/o drop for about 100 mi. Then, from another poster, I took advice and got a narrow wide ring and decided to do away with the guard.

The noise is coming from the front ring. I'm thinking of adding another washer to move the ring inward
Old 06-22-19, 06:14 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

If the noise is coming from the ring maybe the issue is the nine speed chain on the NW ring. I am guessing that most NW rings are designed with the inner width of 10-11-12 speed chains in mind. I would think that a 9 speed chain would still be OK, but maybe the extra inner width is allowing it to slide around side to side on the teeth more.