Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Salsa vs Surly vs MASI

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Salsa vs Surly vs MASI

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 02:05 PM
stewartcycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salsa vs Surly vs MASI

Hello. I am new to this forum. I am looking for advice on a new all purpose bike. I typically have a 28 mile round trip commute with decent hills in Minneapolis along the Mississippi. I am considering the Salsa Marrakesh or the Surly Disc Trucker or the MASI-Giramondo. They are all within $100-$300 of each other. I also want to go on longer rides on the weekends eventually working my way up to a century. The one downside I have heard about the Disc Trucker is that it needs to be weighed down at all times which is not always convenient. I like the sifters on these bikes as the integrated sifter and break that is the trend these days is not the right fit for me. I would appreciate any advice.
thank you
Old 06-23-19, 02:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
If you insist on bar ends shifters, there are several versions of the REI Co-op ADV you could add to your list. https://www.rei.com/product/122464/c...es-adv-32-bike
Old 06-23-19, 02:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
The best thing to do is ride all three and make your opinion from that. I like Surly and Salsa and have owned a Surly DT (and now a Salsa Timberjack Ti). I liked my Disc Trucker a lot and it rode quite nicely even unloaded it wasn't so bad. I will say it wasn't light and I did need to change some parts to fit my taste and then ended up replacing that bike with a Co-Motion Cascadia frame that I built from the ground up. However I could say that about all bikes really. If I was to buy a bike I wouldn't keep it stock so typically I go for a frame and build it from there.

If you are not doing a lot of fully loaded touring these bikes might not be exactly what you want and you might look at something like the steel Jamis Renegades (Expat, Exploit and Escapade) or something like a Specialized Sequoia Elite or an All City Cosmic Stallion all of which are more in the adventure category. They can handle some weight but aren't designed for fully loaded touring so they have a better ride unloaded and are going to be a bit lighter with carbon front forks and can still fit some wide tires. Yes they do have STI levers and yes like you I don't like them a lot. However I can deal with them and if needed be I could replace them with something like the Gevenalle levers which you can get for hydraulics (you will just either need to replace the calipers or replace some hose fittings) which have a bar end or downtube style lever on the front so your brake lever is a brake lever and your shifting is close at hand and easy to sweep a cassette.

However in all these cases it comes down to you riding the bike. We can all wax poetic on the bikes but getting out and test riding them is the best thing to do to really know what you might actually want to ride.
Old 06-23-19, 03:09 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by stewartcycles
I am considering the Salsa Marrakesh or the Surly Disc Trucker or the MASI-Giramondo.
These 3 bikes may be a bit too specific to loaded touring as compared to a more all-around bike that would better meet your needs. There are many searchable BF threads from others who have a similar bike in mind and are looking for advice. Here's a recent one:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ose-surly.html

Several different makes and models are discussed - including some lesser-known brands that offer good value for the $$$.

Test-riding and buying from a LBS is the best way to make your decision.

Good luck.
Old 06-23-19, 06:09 PM
DHPflaumer

Bikes: Norther Klickitat Pass, Masi Giramondo 27.5, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 26 Posts
Those are all solid choices, though I'll echo the comment that they are all generally more touring oriented.

As for the rumor that the LHT needs to be loaded all the time... That's crap. I have several friends that use theirs as their bikes year round for all purposes, often with nothing more than a small tool kit attached. The only bikes that really *benefit* from having some kind of load are randonneur style, where you sort of always want something over the front wheel to help keep the steering from getting a little squirrely.

Of those three, and this is just me, I'd get the Giramondo just because I've been eyeing something a little more offroad oriented than my really nice bike. In terms of what you're looking at, Masi's Speciale Randonneur is probably closer to the other bikes you listed. Surly's Cross Check is a great bet based on what you're looking at, as are the Straggler and Pack Rat. Something like a Breezer Doppler or Kona Rove might be a great fit as well.
Old 06-23-19, 06:26 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
The LHT is just too versatile to pass up. Surly has been making it without change forever and selling every single one. You can get it in disc or rim brake version. Truthfully I love cantilevers.
Old 06-23-19, 06:36 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

I took a closer look at the Masi website - saw that they have a '700c' and a '27.5' (650b) version of the Giramondo that the OP mentioned. The 27.5 looks like a pretty flexible set-up with decent components - MTB triple crank with an 11-36 ten speed cassette (good gear range), TRP Spyre mech. discs (reliable and solid), tubeless-ready wheels in the 27.5" (650B) size that offers plenty of tire options.

The bike has lots of eyelets for fenders, racks, cages, etc. MSRP $1349 - good value and it can be set-up for road, gravel, or light trail riding.

It's not a light-weight, but probably under 30# which is ok.

Worth a test ride if you can find one.

https://masibikes.com/collections/ad...ondo-27-5-2019

Old 06-23-19, 06:52 PM
jlaw

Coincidentally, a buddy of mine showed-up to this morning's group ride with one of these - Salsa Journeyman 650b

I recommended this bike to another person looking for advice - I had never seen one in-person until this morning. It's similar to the Giramondo but has an aluminum frame and carbon fork so likely a bit lighter.

$1199 with decent components (and the carbon fork).

My friend said it rides well and is comfortable.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman/journeyman_sora_650

Old 06-23-19, 08:31 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
CyclingAbout is a great website to explore in your search .
https://www.cyclingabout.com/best-touring-bikes-list/
Old 06-24-19, 04:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
When did rigid MTBs with drop bars come into favor?
Old 06-24-19, 07:04 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The 90s, John Tomac anyone?
Old 06-24-19, 07:09 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
c. 1987

Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-24-19, 03:11 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I like my Surly Cross-Check. I bought the flat bar version, Over time, I added a triple chain ring and Jones H bars, and I raised the riding position up a bit. I use it for light MTB use and commuting. It's my general purpose bike. The only thing that makes me cuss is trying to mount tires. The Alex rims it came with work great, but are very tight when mounting and dismounting a damn tire. Salsa and Surly are the same company. It all comes down to personal preference, not someone else's opinion
I looked into the Straggler too. It has discs and vertical drop outs, but I wanted a flat bar setup without having to change up the cockpit controls so much.
I also like the Surlys because of the (aesthetically/nostalgically pleasing) butted fork. Brings back memories of older bikes.
Frames are powder coated instead of painted (better for the planet)

Last edited by restlessswind; 06-24-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 10:39 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Hello. I am new to this forum. I am looking for advice on a new all purpose bike. I typically have a 28 mile round trip commute with decent hills in Minneapolis along the Mississippi. I am considering the Salsa Marrakesh or the Surly Disc Trucker or the MASI-Giramondo. They are all within $100-$300 of each other. I also want to go on longer rides on the weekends eventually working my way up to a century. The one downside I have heard about the Disc Trucker is that it needs to be weighed down at all times which is not always convenient. I like the sifters on these bikes as the integrated sifter and break that is the trend these days is not the right fit for me. I would appreciate any advice.
thank you
I honestly don't have issues riding the LHT unloaded, though it does ride "better," fully loaded. Run wider tires for a softer ride. That being said, all the bikes you are looking at are nice bikes. Only you can make the decision.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-27-19, 08:59 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Bike Choice

thank you
Have an All-City Spacehorse (canti brake) that I built up with bar-end shifters...course it is a sport touring all-around bike, not quite as heavy duty as the 3 you have mentioned, but something similar would totally do what you're asking. I had initially inquired in my LBS that built this bike up if the LHT would do what I was looking for, sportive rides, with some touring, they steered me towards the SH for the more sporty ride, but of course it doesn't come equipped with your preferred shifter, but can likely be built up from frame/fork for very similar to the stock LHT. Just a thought.

For existing bikes out there equipped similarly to the LHT, that might not be quite as tour specific, I'd suggest the Kona Sutra. Comes with bar end shifters, brooks b17 saddle, full coverage fenders, and rear rack for $1500. Same 4130 frame and fork material as the LHT et al. I've only test ridden the Kona Sutra. It has a very pleasant ride unloaded from my observations. Felt sportier than a traditional touring bike, but is certainly up to the job.
Old 06-27-19, 09:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Have you been living under a rock?