Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Axle problems. yikes.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Axle problems. yikes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 08:53 PM
GoJacob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axle problems. yikes.

Hello everone,

I'm back... and with a couple of new problems. How is the axle suppose to fit into the front dropouts?
Is the actual axle supposed to be shorter than the fork dropouts (which would mean the fork rests on the QR skewer), then the quick release is used to tighten it down?
Or is the fork suppose to fit over the actual axle (ends)?
Well, if the former is true, my axles are too long and my fork is coming down over the axle.
But, if the latter is true, my fork's dropouts are not wide enough ("open" enough) to accept the axle and I have to spread the fork to get it on the outside of the axle.
I hope this is making sense.
I'm a touch lost on why my fork gets "stuck" on the axle and I can't "quickly" release the wheel.

Sheldon Brown's website is not working for me right now (nor has it been working for the past week or so) so I couldn't even look up proper pictures. Hmmph. thanks
Old 08-25-07, 09:29 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wonder what bike u have and secondly, the frame and fork are straight? if it is an old low end steel bike probably doesnt matter at all.

google: front wheel axle + road fork

darn im super drunk...

nites
Old 08-25-07, 09:57 PM
GoJacob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's an old (the one i've been talking about too much around here) nishiki international. The frame and fork is of excellent quality and, as far as I can tell, is perfectly straight. The wheels were replacement 700c from the original 27", so i'm thinking this has something to do with the axle issue.
Old 08-25-07, 10:33 PM
MattP.
Obeying Gravity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The axle should be shorter than the outer diameter of the fork blades., but longer than the inside diameter. That is so when you clamp down the QR, the blades can be compressed on the hub itself.

You have a pic?
Old 08-26-07, 05:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GoJacob
it's an old (the one i've been talking about too much around here) nishiki international. The frame and fork is of excellent quality and, as far as I can tell, is perfectly straight. The wheels were replacement 700c from the original 27", so i'm thinking this has something to do with the axle issue.
Did your bike used to have a bolt-on front wheel? If that's the case, your new quick release axle is probably a little fatter. A little judicious use of a file will make it work.
Old 08-26-07, 06:58 AM
GoJacob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the bike is from the mid 70's so i'm assuming it had bolt on wheels. excellent information!
is it safe to file the dropouts? so, the axle diameters are all the same?
thank you

Last edited by GoJacob; 08-26-07 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-26-07, 07:21 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GoJacob
is it safe to file the dropouts?
I converted al old Raleigh Grand Prix to QR that way and rode it for several years with no problems at all. That's 1 for 1 but YMMV.
Old 08-26-07, 07:23 AM
GoJacob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm assuming it would be okay. when i go to my bikeshop to pickup new axles/cones/nuts, I'll ask their opinion on the issue as well. I appreciate your experience and input.
Old 08-26-07, 07:27 AM
GoJacob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattP.
The axle should be shorter than the outer diameter of the fork blades., but longer than the inside diameter. That is so when you clamp down the QR, the blades can be compressed on the hub itself.

You have a pic?
i don't have a camera as of yet, but i'm going to borrow my ex girlfriend's digital one.

my axles stick out beyond the fork ends... which indicates that they are too long. I remember asking the LBS if they could cut them down and they said they just do a whole hub overhaul with new axles/cones and whatnot. I never asked any further, but i'm assuming they come in different lengths? or they cut them down right there before installing? PS, they said it costs anywhere from $15-20 per hub to do an overhaul, is this price reasonable? or should i just get the materials and do it myself? (i'm more than capable, but a bike shop will probably do a better job)
Old 08-26-07, 11:11 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Absolutely due to the fork being designed for nutted ("bolt-on") wheels. Perfectly OK to file to allow Q/R, but be sure to file the same (front of dropout or rear) on both fork blades. Sometimes you can cheat a Q/R on if the axle is slotted for a lockwasher by turning it such that the slot is next to the fork blade.